autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove deep wetsand marks with DA on hard paint

I had my 2014 performance blue focus st repainted on both driver side doors about 2 years ago. They left really bad wetsanding marks that I would consider to be rotary holograms.

Since then, I have tried about a dozen times in vain to remove them with my porter cable 7424xp, various stiffness foam pads, every chemical guys polish, meguiars 105 and 205, and today I have been trying the meguiars MF cutting pad and d300. The rest of my car looks perfect, which makes the doors stand out so much worse. I've made so many passes at increasing pressures and speeds and slower progression, I find it incredible to see the same pattern appear after cleaning. This paint must be made of diamonds.

Please help. I'm going insane and would like to stop spending money on dead ends

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove deep wetsand marks with DA on hard paint

Perhaps the marks are under the clear? Pic? Some painters will rely on the primer filling scratches instead of continuing the process to a finer grit, if they don't get filled they can show thru

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to get a photo, but I live in an apartment, so getting the right light for a camera is tricky. I tend to use a handheld scangrip while I work.
    When I look really closely at the paint, it looks like these are indeed scratches in the clear. Which also makes me feel better because I guess I'd rather do no work than too much.Remove deep wetsand marks with DA on hard paint-car-swirl-jpg

In this pic, it looks like the bright vertical streaks on the left side of the door. Under the right light those are vertical slices of arcing streaks from left to right on both the doors. They have definite direction and pattern. There are also some miscellaneous streaks in other directs that up close look like straight up clear coat scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

clear coat repair gone horribly wrong......

Without being there in person,does this thread look similar to your situation?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

YouTube

Here's a vid

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks a lot subtler than in that picture, but I used that as reference when I said it looks more like rotary holograms than micro marring, especially since it doesn't match the patter I have specifically worked in to test that idea. The defects remain in the exact patter and position no matter what I do, but I really don't think they can be under the clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jershinator View Post
    I'll try to get a photo, but I live in an apartment, so getting the right light for a camera is tricky. I tend to use a handheld scangrip while I work.
    When I look really closely at the paint, it looks like these are indeed scratches in the clear. Which also makes me feel better because I guess I'd rather do no work than too much.Remove deep wetsand marks with DA on hard paint-car-swirl-jpg

In this pic, it looks like the bright vertical streaks on the left side of the door. Under the right light those are vertical slices of arcing streaks from left to right on both the doors. They have definite direction and pattern. There are also some miscellaneous streaks in other directs that up close look like straight up clear coat scratches.
    Are you willing to wet sand?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to tell in both pic and video, there's to much background brightness on the panel. Try taking a pic in a dark area with your scangrip.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

YouTube

I just uploaded so it may be low res for a bit. But you can clearly see the horrible banding and at the end I get up close on some of the deeper marks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rsurfer, probably not for now, since I'm still working out of an apartment parking lot and not a garage and wouldn't trust myself outside of perfect working conditions. If the only resort was to wetsand, I'd go to a shop for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast