autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation

HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation

Hi all new to this site and hoping I can find some knowledge to help me resolve the issue with the paint on my recently purchased dark grey/blue 2009 Honda accord lx p.

Ok so to start I bought the vehicle a few weeks ago, the day I bought it and for a week or so after it rained. When the rain stopped and vehicle became dry I noticed a white hazy look on my hood roof trunk top and along the top of the doors. I originally assumed it was oxidation, so I researched and bought a buffer/polisher and meguiars ultimate compound to try to remove the oxidation.

Once applied the car looked awesome!!!! but within a few hours it seemed like all the haze seeped back through. I have used the uc a few times now and afraid I'm going to do more damage than good if I'm not careful.

I have no paint transfer onto my pads during uc and I don't have places with clear coat peeling off but I'm starting to wonder if its oxidation or cc failure.

Also to add not sure if it helps but when car is wet you cant see any of it just when it dries.

Thank you in advance!!!

HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation-img-0225-jpg

HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation-img-0228-jpg

I can take more pics if needed....fyi the truck seems to be pretty much fixed but roof and hood are not, no cracks or peeling of clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation

Mike is going to have the best opinion but those Hondas are pretty notorious for clearcoat failure on the upper surfaces. What state are you in (wondering how strong the sun is where you are)?

On the plus side if you have corrected the trunk perhaps you'll be able to "fix" the rest of the car. I'd really keep up on those surfaces with a good UV-blocking sealant; Optimum Car Wax is one that has a dedicated UV inhibitor in it. Or a coating might be another way to go.

3. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! I am in the mountains of NC but bought the car from TN which is much hotter than it is here. I am hoping its not clear coat failure but I'm kinda leaning that way. Absolutely no bubbling or peeling "yet" and its all horizontal panels.... I used the uc probably 3 to 4 times on trunk area u can see it a little bit but pretty much cleared it up but hood is a different story. I really appreciate the quick response!

Post Thanks / Like

If you tried compounding it and it just comes back, im gonna say i thinks its clear coat failure.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation-img-0234-jpg

This is the trunk if you look closely you can see "spots that look like water spots but white haze is gone.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that's what I was afraid of asalesagent921! compounding really helped trunk and tops of doors but not hood or roof it looks great when I first put it on but dries up and white is back

8. Thanks SCABHUNTER thanked for this post
    Likes SCABHUNTER liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brittney View Post
    that's what I was afraid of asalesagent921! compounding really helped trunk and tops of doors but not hood or roof it looks great when I first put it on but dries up and white is back
    I think a good option is citrol 266.
    You may want to try this. Your clear coat may be stained.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks scabhunter its defiantly worth a try! Really hope its not cc failure seeing as to I just bought the car but if it is maybe it wont be tooo expensive to have fixed!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Brittney View Post

so I researched and bought a buffer/polisher and Meguiars ultimate compound to try to remove the oxidation.

Once applied the car looked awesome!!!! but within a few hours it seemed like all the haze seeped back through. I have used the uc a few times now and afraid I'm going to do more damage than good if I'm not careful.

I have no paint transfer onto my pads during UC and I don't have places with clear coat peeling off but I'm starting to wonder if its oxidation or cc failure.
    I downloaded your pictures in full size and then uploaded them to the gallery to make them easier to see for myself and everyone.

The sections that look white do look like beginning clearcoat failure. This would explain why you're not seeing paint transfer. The clear layer of paint is there, probably just barely, but it's dying fast.

I don't know if I've ever seen paint look so weird? And you're NOT getting paint transfer? That's a good sign but the paint still looks very weird.
    Because you only see this on the,

Hood
    Roof
    Trunk lid

The three horizontal panels that take the most abuse from both the sun but also inclement weather and air pollution and chemical fallout, I'm going to say, if compounding with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound creates a temporary improvement but then the ugly returns.... whatever it is that is wrong with the paint it's time to stick a fork in it and call it done.

Plus it's 9 years old. That's a long time in car clearcoat years.

Mike Phillips

See my article and the picture in it here,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Here is the best example I've been able to find that shows beginning clear coat failure, it's from a thread I created on MeguiarsOnline called the The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Since I have not been able to find a similar car with the beginning of clear coat failure to photograph for the AG forum, and because this is a very useful picture for helping people diagnose what type of problem they're having with their car's clear coat I've added to the Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive here on AG but have given proper credit to where I obtained the photograph.

Due credit where due credit is due.... which more people would do this...

On AutogeekOnline.com

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast