autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP!!!! Clearcoar failure or oxidation

Quote Originally Posted by Brittney View Post
    Thanks scabhunter its defiantly worth a try! Really hope its not cc failure seeing as to I just bought the car but if it is maybe it wont be tooo expensive to have fixed!
    if its CC failure(and looks like it) and its on the hood, roof ,trunk top, and along the top of the doors, thats just about a complete repaint at a body shop. i couldnt see a shop wanting to do anything less(trying to sand off the clear and leave the basecoat) as its not only their name and reputation but also future problems and lawsuits.
    they could repaint/clear the hood and trunk and possibly the roof. if the roof has breaks in it- body lines to tape off and end the painting- it wouldnt be bad. if theres no breaks then theyd have to blend into the sail panels and possibly clear the rear QP's-blending clear isnt done too often.
    either way, youre probably going to be looking at $1500+,which that price would be just the hood,roof, and trunk. full repaint at least double.

that not expensive, though, compared to a repaint on a ferrari or lambo!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It maybe worth a try.. as I continue looking at the photos it looks pretty nasty. I’m started to lean towards chemical burn. If citrol doesn’t work, I would have it sanded. If it goes through the clear coat, at least you tried your best.. and have it repainted. I would not waste too much time, effort and money at this point. Fill us in on what the outcome is. We’d like to know. Just make the best decision you know how.
    Good luck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    See my article and the picture in it here,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Here is the best example I've been able to find that shows beginning clear coat failure, it's from a thread I created on MeguiarsOnline called the The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Since I have not been able to find a similar car with the beginning of clear coat failure to photograph for the AG forum, and because this is a very useful picture for helping people diagnose what type of problem they're having with their car's clear coat I've added to the Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive here on AG but have given proper credit to where I obtained the photograph.

Due credit where due credit is due.... which more people would do this...

On AutogeekOnline.com

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

Thank you mike! That is about what I have came to the conclusion of since I bought the car three weeks ago may just take back and trade I can’t stand the paint imperfections

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12