autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax new rim barrell?

I have new rims that I will wax with Collinate 845. Is it ok to wax the inner barrell to protect again brake dust?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax new rim barrell?

Quote Originally Posted by tenreasy View Post
    I have new rims that I will wax with Collinate 845. Is it ok to wax the inner barrell to protect again brake dust?
    Yepper.

A coating will actually work better and longer. I did my new wheels with CQuartzUK3 right out of the box.

The 2 sets before that were done with Gloss Coat. I think I got lazy this year with my winter wheels and used 845. It does work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these a set of wheels you'll be swapping out seasonaly or will they be used year round? 845 will work just fine, I've used it on wheels before, but the longevity won't be anywhere close to a coating.

If you are talking about a seasonal set of wheels, 845 should get you through the time the wheels are on the vehicle and you can re-apply it before you mount them the next time. If the wheels will be on all the time, the longetivity provided by a coating will serve you better since you won't have to take the wheels off every few months to re-apply an LSP.

When I used 845 on my wheels it seemed to last 3~4 months complared to the 6 months I'd get on the rest of the car. My current set of summer wheels are coated with CQuartz, and seemed to be still holding up well after two 6-ish month seasons when I swapped those wheels out last fall.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Desertnate and others, if you have the time do try the CQuartz DLUX or similar product for those wheels. If these wheels are seasonal use then Collinite 476 paste wax is preferred by AutoFanatic, YouTube, on his recent winter set of wheels. I asked him about the ceramic coating option but he preferred paste wax in his use. I have the DLUX running on my F150 since July 2018 and it still helps shed the brake dust.

Now this weekend is the 25%-off at AG, so place and order on whatever product you want to do.

FYI, the work of pulling off the wheels and coating will take time and do allow time (overnight) for that to cure properly before you head out into the cold wet conditions.

Kirby

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant that I could use. These new wheels are for 3 seasons. In November I will take them off, clean, and wax, then reinstall in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a choice between 2 products you have( which I also have and use), use the Collinite for the wheel barrels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenreasy View Post
    I also have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant that I could use. These new wheels are for 3 seasons. In November I will take them off, clean, and wax, then reinstall in the spring.
    The 845 is a tad more durable for wheels than the WDGPS.

9. Likes spazzz, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The 845 is a tad more durable for wheels than the WDGPS.
    And 476s is even better.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

If you have the mechanical ability to remove your wheels, clean them proper and then prep them proper - by all means apply a quality brand name ceramic coating to the front and backside of the wheels.

Here's the deal....

The wheels will still get dirty with brake dust and road grime, it's just they will wash and clean much faster and easier. In a lot of cases you only need soapy water to clean them, not a dedicated wheel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new set of wheels with winter tires on them, and cleaned them up nice and ceramic coated them before putting them on the car. I could not possibly be happier. I just did a rinseless wash last night, and a microfiber dampened with ONR was all I needed to clean up both the front and the barrels of the wheels.

I guess it probably isn't fair of me to make a claim that it's the best choice without trying a wax or a sealant, but I last night I couldn't believe how easily my coated wheels cleaned up.

Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.