autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My first proper order of car care products - rate it!

Hi all, new member here. I recently acquired an Audi S5 in Ibis White. It's low miles, a 2012 with a V8 and I just got done with a huge makeover on it with a Stoptech BBK, new 20" forged wheels, Ohlins suspension, adjustable control arms, and more.

I have always hand washed the car during the last 6 months of ownership but I want to take it to the next level. I do notice very minor swirls/hairline webbing on the paint in specific lighting but other than that nothing else.

** I do plan to do a vinyl wrap of the car in Storm Grey at the end of the year or a paint correction with a proper ceramic coating (Kamikaze Zipang or Ceramic Pro although I know CP is considered old school now)

I have, in my cart, the following:
    Gyeon Prep
    Gyeon CanCoat
    CarPro Iron-X
    Gyeon Q2 Rim
    Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam
    GTechniq I2 Tri-Clean
    GTechniq L2 Leather Guard
    Gyeon Bathe+ or Chem Guys Mr. Pink Shampoo

I have some exterior Carbon Fiber goodies I'd like to protect, specifically the valence over the exhaust tips below the main bumper. What do you recommend? I was looking at Chem Guys Jet Seal..

**I'm a little concerned with redundancy and if I need a shampoo with any gloss additives since I'm doing my own temporary coating at the end. Is CanCoat too much? I'm totally fine with something for <6month protection for now. I'm a little new to detailing but I'd like to save myself the money and possibly apply Cquartz ceramic coating or Gyeon Syncro or Kamikaze myself down the road...I know its all in the prep work!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first proper order of car care products - rate it!

Quote Originally Posted by s5ive View Post
    Hi all, new member here. I recently acquired an Audi S5 in Ibis White. It's low miles, a 2012 with a V8 and I just got done with a huge makeover on it with a Stoptech BBK, new 20" forged wheels, Ohlins suspension, adjustable control arms, and more.

I have always hand washed the car during the last 6 months of ownership but I want to take it to the next level. I do notice very minor swirls/hairline webbing on the paint in specific lighting but other than that nothing else.

** I do plan to do a vinyl wrap of the car in Storm Grey at the end of the year or a paint correction with a proper ceramic coating (Kamikaze Zipang or Ceramic Pro although I know CP is considered old school now)

I have, in my cart, the following:
    Gyeon Prep
    Gyeon CanCoat
    CarPro Iron-X
    Gyeon Q2 Rim
    Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam
    GTechniq I2 Tri-Clean
    GTechniq L2 Leather Guard
    Gyeon Bathe+ or Chem Guys Mr. Pink Shampoo

I have some exterior Carbon Fiber goodies I'd like to protect, specifically the valence over the exhaust tips below the main bumper. What do you recommend? I was looking at Chem Guys Jet Seal..

**I'm a little concerned with redundancy and if I need a shampoo with any gloss additives since I'm doing my own temporary coating at the end. Is CanCoat too much? I'm totally fine with something for <6month protection for now. I'm a little new to detailing but I'd like to save myself the money and possibly apply Cquartz ceramic coating or Gyeon Syncro or Kamikaze myself down the road...I know its all in the prep work!

Thanks!
    CanCoat is a fantastic product. It’s worth trying out and can be used on multiple surfaces. I would recommend at least a light polish.

I would also skip on either of those shampoos. I would consider Meguiar’s Hyperwash, Gyeon Bathe (skip Bathe+ and Bathe Essence). Perhaps even give the new Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating Wash a try.

I would also pass on Gyeon Syncro based on my experience for a future coating. You can search for my thread on it for more detail.

Cquartz UK 3.0 is a better choice. Haven’t used Kamikaze but others have. 22ple seems to be nice to work with as well.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    CanCoat is a fantastic product. It’s worth trying out and can be used on multiple surfaces. I would recommend at least a light polish.

I would also skip on either of those shampoos. I would consider Meguiar’s Hyperwash, Gyeon Bathe (skip Bathe+ and Bathe Essence). Perhaps even give the new Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating Wash a try.

I would also pass on Gyeon Syncro based on my experience for a future coating. You can search for my thread on it for more detail.

Cquartz UK 3.0 is a better choice. Haven’t used Kamikaze but others have. 22ple seems to be nice to work with as well.
    Thanks for the recommendation! Good to see some CanCoat backing, excited to try. I'm currently just using the Meguiars Wash+Wax soap and a quick detailer after so I believe these new products will definitely be noticeable on my car.

What is recommended for a polish? To confirm, this would be done after drying and before I use my final coating/sealant - CanCoat in my case?

Mike Phillips

What do you have for,

Tool
    Pads
    Abrasive Technology

In my opinion and experience, abrasive technology is THE most important factor. Nothing else comes close. It's the abrasives that touch the paint.

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Guz. If you don’t mind spending money when you do coat...22ple or kamikaze. On the cheap CP cquk3.0. Skip the snow foam and get Griots foaming surface cleaner. Night and better at cleaning. Agree with soaps I wentwith optimum car wash (ph neutral). Interested in the BF coating soap but just got a bottle of CP reset. Wverything elseMy first proper order of car care products - rate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What do you have for,

Tool
    Pads
    Abrasive Technology

In my opinion and experience, abrasive technology is THE most important factor. Nothing else comes close. It's the abrasives that touch the paint.

Nothing really to be honest. A bunch of 420+ GSM MF towels, some applicator pads and thats about it =/. No DA's or anything along those lines. Getting a foam cannon for sure though to attach to hose which has soft water.

Also, is there any maintenance steps to help prevent or make rust buildup on rotors less likely? Or is a wire brush my only good friend here?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Agree with Guz. If you don’t mind spending money when you do coat...22ple or kamikaze. On the cheap CP cquk3.0. Skip the snow foam and get Griots foaming surface cleaner. Night and better at cleaning. Agree with soaps I wentwith optimum car wash (ph neutral). Interested in the BF coating soap but just got a bottle of CP reset. Wverything elseMy first proper order of car care products - rate it!

I'm going simply off some reviews from various distributors for a lot of the products. It appears the Griot's is lesser of the other two I'm looking at which are also pH neutral.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have about 30 ml of can coat left from last year I put it in an old cq Uk bottle do u think it’s still good?

Post Thanks / Like

Check around on forums of actual users and I can bet griots>chemical guys. But honestly I don’t even know how beneficial sno foaming is. Enjoy and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    But honestly I don’t even know how beneficial snow foaming is. !

Nothing, but I still do it, it's fun.
    '03 Corvette Z06

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post