autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Oh wow. Talk about timing! Last night I was with a buddy watching some car stuff on the tube. Ran into an image of a gauge cluster that looked brand new (it was a 1989 or so Honda CRX) and we wondered if it WAS new, or if the guy polished it out.

I'll try using this stuff on my own car some day! Thanks Mike

Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Mike Phillips

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Do you think I could polish the windscreen on this motorcycle with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish? I also have the BLACKFIRE One Step. Perhaps I could use the finishing polish and then wax it with the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran I got in the other day?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another pic I took this morning.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Mike,

Do you think I could polish the windscreen on this motorcycle with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish?

You can try.

One thing people MISS in this article we're all reading.... it's the FIRST paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

1: Plexiglas is NOT like most modern plastics. It's very SOFT.

A lot of guys call everything Plexiglas because they simply don't know any better but I'm telling you straight up, the plastic T-top windows on your 2000 Corvette are NOT Plexiglas, they are LEXAN and if you Google my name and the word LEXAN you should pull up plenty of articles on this topic and how impossible it is to polish scratches out of Lexan.

Plexiglas is also softer than the headlights on your car. So please don't be one of those people that calls everything plastic Plexiglas it's no longer the case.

The plastic cowl you're working on is NOT Plexiglas. My guess is it's some form of polycarbonate plastic and my next guess is it's probably REALLY HARD.

So you'll need to do some testing to,

A: First see if you can in fact improve it or fix it. Fix it mean make it look perfect.

B: Second - Make sure buffing it doesn't make it worse via micro-marring.

So do some testing. If you find you can fix it - you might have to start with something more aggressive to get it right and then finish with the Pinnacle AFP

Make sense?

Pad type will be important too. I went into this IN this article in the first post. I ended up using what I have found to be THE SOFTEST pad I think there is on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

I also have the BLACKFIRE One Step. Perhaps I could use the finishing polish and then wax it with the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran I got in the other day?
    You can test the BF One Step - depending upon the plastic itself and the pad - this might work.

And yes - whatever results you end up with - you can use any non-cleaning wax or sealant to seal the surface.

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You can try.

One thing people MISS in this article we're all reading.... it's the FIRST paragraph.

The plastic cowl you're working on is NOT Plexiglas. My guess is it's some form of polycarbonate plastic and my next guess is it's probably REALLY HARD.

So you'll need to do some testing to,

A: First see if you can in fact improve it or fix it. Fix it mean make it look perfect.

B: Second - Make sure buffing it doesn't make it worse via micro-marring.

So do some testing. If you find you can fix it - you might have to start with something more aggressive to get it right and then finish with the Pinnacle AFP

Make sense?

Pad type will be important too. I went into this IN this article in the first post. I ended up using what I have found to be THE SOFTEST pad I think there is on the market.

You can test the BF One Step - depending upon the plastic itself and the pad - this might work.

And yes - whatever results you end up with - you can use any non-cleaning wax or sealant to seal the surface.

Roger that. If my friend ever replaces the wind screen he will give it to me so I can give it a go risk free.

Ha ha ha then I'll wait till he needs a new one again and sell him his old one back. JK.

I really appreciate the info, I read it all the way through. Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12