autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Meguiar not Meguiar's - Car Detailing History

Meguiar not Meguiar's - Car Detailing History

Here's some unique products from days-gone-by in the car wax industry. I don't know a lot about these products except they were products sold by Barry Meguiar's brother Floyd Meguiar back in the late 1960's I believe, could be the early 1970's. I have some marketing info somewhere on them but not sure where it is at this moment.

For whatever reasons, Floyd Meguiar left the Meguiar's company and started his own company called Finish Kare. Autogeek carries some of the Finish Kare products here.

From the Finish Kare website on the About Us webpage

Finish Kare was founded in 1964 by Floyd Meguiar, after he left the family business. Preceded by an already-rich history in car care, Meguiar set out to develop car care products that were the best of their kind. He accomplished just that and over the last five decades Finish Kare’s premier car care products have been used to protect and restore millions of vehicles by auto professionals & auto enthusiasts alike.

For your viewing pleasure....

Although the words on the label say it's a polish, because it leaves the surface also protected this is technically a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO

Fairly bold claim --> lower's E.T.'s

(E.T. is a racing term for Elapsed Time that means the start to finish clocking of the vehicle's elapsed time or E.T.)

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar not Meguiar's - Car Detailing History

I'm sorry Mike, are you saying that after Floyd started Finish Kare, he later also sold some products under the "Meguiar" label?

Also, I had to chuckle about those Competition Finish products lowering ET's.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

I'm sorry Mike, are you saying that after Floyd started Finish Kare, he later also sold some products under the "Meguiar" label?

I think you stated it backwards, but I'm not an expert on Finish Kare history. I think Floyd sold Meguair products before starting Finish Kare, but again, I'm not sure.

Here's what I know.... I have these 4 products on the shelves of my antique wax collection in my office and thought I would share these today as it's been a long week and sometimes it's nice to have a little fun at work.

5. Likes Strong66, Rrthomas78, dlc95, PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love It!

Thanks for posting this, Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I think you stated it backwards, but I'm not an expert on Finish Kare history. I think Floyd sold Meguair products before starting Finish Kare, but again, I'm not sure.

Here's what I know.... I have these 4 products on the shelves of my antique wax collection in my office and thought I would share these today as it's been a long week and sometimes it's nice to have a little fun at work.

What else is on the shelf? I love throwbacks

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I thought you said FK started in '64 and these products were from the late 60's/early 70's, my bad. Anyway, thanks for some Friday fun with some really obscure and rare products!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

I had picked up a Meguiar 'tool box' sticker (was the shield and helmet part of the label) at a car show in San Diego. 1977 if I remember correctly. Sadly, that sticker is long lost due to repainting the tool boxes.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    WOW!

I had picked up a Meguiar 'tool box' sticker (was the shield and helmet part of the label) at a car show in San Diego. 1977 if I remember correctly. Sadly, that sticker is long lost due to repainting the tool boxes.

Bill

Wow!

I've never seen a Meguiar sticker, just the bottles I show in this thread and there was also a plastic jar of wax.

I was told the plastic jars of wax are incredibly rare because the solvents in the wax or the outgassing of the solvents in the wax caused the plastic lids to melt/weld to the plastic jars so most of them had to be broken apart to get to the wax and eventually then thrown aways.

I'll see if I can find my ad for these old products.

Instead of a "thread" about the products in my antique wax collection would anyone prefer to see me make a video? If so, reply to this thread and say so.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 1971, I did a full lacquer repaint on my 1967 Malibu from white to copper. The painter didn't trust me with a rotary, since it was finished with a couple coats of clear lacquer over the color, so he ordered me to get some 600 sandpaper, a can of Dupont compound and some cloth baby diapers.
    I color-sanded and polished the whole thing by hand. Thankfully, it had a vinyl top, since polishing out 600 sanding marks by hand was even a workout for my 20 year-old arms and shoulders!
    When I was done, I went to the local paint store and asked what I could protect it with while the air-dried paint cured and they sold me a bottle of Meguiar Competition Finish. By the time I finished the first bottle, they no longer had any, so I never saw it again. Good stuff! kinda like Meguiar's #7 in gloss, but easier to use and lasted a bit longer.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meguiar not Meguiar's - Car Detailing History-67_chevelle_rear-jpg  

12. Likes SWETM, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a "thread" about the products in my antique wax collection would anyone prefer to see me make a video? If so, reply to this thread and say so.

I'm in!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast