autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable 7424xp vs Rupes long run

Hello, I've been reading many posts here and find this is a great forum. I think I posted this on the wrong Sub-category so I'll post here again. Here is my first post.

I've been detailing my cars since I'm 20. I used to use the cheap Simoniz polishers for the past year, it did the job well since my car was new and didn't need much polishing, now my car is a year old and the scratches are too deep to be corrected with this polisher and Carpro Essence and Compound.

I've been looking at the Porter Cable 7424xp with the Chemical guys pad kit. The price seems very good, quality seems okay for the price. On the other hand, there's the more expensive Rupes polisher.

Now here is my question, I intend to keep detailing my cars myself for many years to come since it's my hobby and a moment to myself. I would use the polisher 3 times a year. I would like to know if I get the Porter Cable, then I upgrade to the Rupes, will the Porter Cable lie in my garage collecting dust? Or is there any other use for the Porter Cable down the line even when I upgrade to a Rupes? I simply do not like wasting money so if the Porter will be useless once I get a Rupes, I'll directly get a Rupes.

Thank you guy and gals in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable 7424xp vs Rupes long run

I have Rupes polishers, Flex 3401, and a Makita Rotary.

I use the Porter Cable 7424 way more often than any of them.

Everyone will tell you to buy the Griot's but I didn't find it to be a significant enough increase in performance over the Porter Cable to make a switch.

If I need more power, I'll switch to the Rupes Duetto.

What I like about the Porter Cable is that I can use smaller pads with it, where the Duetto isn't designed to do that.

Find a kit here, you'll get better stuff.

Those Hex logic pads are made by Buff and Shine, which are sold here without the hex pattern - which you don't need anyways.

3. Likes WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PC is a workhorse. If you are only using it a few times a year, and do not have huge correction jobs, I would have no problems recommending it.

Rupes are a different breed. Like a fine Italian sports car. Smooth, and full of extras.

Have you looked at Griot's machines? The GG6 is excellent, and has a full lifetime warranty.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes WaxMaster1, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I never cared for the “kits” !

Find a polisher then go from there.

Definitely get a 5 inch backing plate if you chose the PC or GG machine.
    For the two above machines I suggest 5.5 x 7/8 inch flat pads.

Rupes is designed as a “system” so be prepared to buy Rupes brand pads and polishes along with the machine.

The PC is a fine machine as I also own one and use it often. I would however suggest the GG6 over the PC. From what you explained, I feel that machine will suit your needs more than adequately.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of people switch their griots gg6 or porter/cable to 3” pad duty when they up grade to a long throw (Rupes). I tend to way over due things and skipped the 8mm throw and went with the boss 15. It’s a long throw and griots has a package that comes with 5 boss pads 3 nice MF towels and pad cleaner for 379$ that’s 15$ more than polisher it self and you get 70-80$ of things you will need to buy anyways. To be clear though I went with long throw because I’m going to buy a mini and add to mix. If you don’t mind spending 300$. Look at the boss or the duetto. I felt that was a happy median price for polisher I’ll use 2-3 times a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your quick responses!
    So if I understand well, I should start off with a Griot because I can mount 3-6 inch pads on them. Then, in a few years I should get the Rupes?
    Do you think I can detail my car with only a Rupes? I don't mind spending the extra dollars for a Rupes if it's the only polisher I'll need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iManu View Post
    Thank you for all your quick responses!
    So if I understand well, I should start off with a Griot because I can mount 3-6 inch pads on them. Then, in a few years I should get the Rupes?
    Do you think I can detail my car with only a Rupes? I don't mind spending the extra dollars for a Rupes if it's the only polisher I'll need.
    The Rupes with 5" backing plate or 6" is just those backing plates you can use on those polishers. So a longthrow 15mm and 21mm polishers you will need to be buying a Rupes Mini polisher or a like that with a 3" backing plate to get into the smaller spaces. With a GG6 or XP you can change the backing plate to a 3" and you can use that as a dedicated one when or if you upgrade to a Rupes longthrows. Or there is Rupes Nano ibrid polisher too with 1" and 2" backing plates and also rotary and random orbital setups on it. Most start with a 8mm free spinning DA polisher. I started with a 21mm longthrow polisher and needed to get a mini polisher right away LOL. So it's just so you are prepared if going with longthrow polisher you need a mini polisher right away. And with a XP or GG6 you buy the 3" backing plate and the 5" backing plate and switch them and pads as needed. The GG6 with the lifetime warrenty is hard to beat as a first polisher to test out if it's for you or not.

Post Thanks / Like

to the OP, check this recent thread out...
    Finishing Polish For A Beginner

Post Thanks / Like

For the price of the Rupes I chose to go with the griots boss 15 long throw and a 3” mini. If anything is comparable to a Rupes it’s the Griots boss polisher and the money you’ll save will get you a 3 inch griots or Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So on the Rupes I cannot put a 3 inch backplate? Like I said, I prefer spending more on on est polisher than having to spend even more on 2 polishers on the long run. Let me know also, I prefer having only 1 polisher to keep my garage more tidy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast