autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??

First, thanks so much for that. I've got an orange-peeled silver metallic single stage '72 Datsun 240Z to try to sort out, sounds like I'm in for a nightmare.

So.... that article is almost 9 years old and some of the products are NLA, is there an updated items list anywhere? Kompressor pads appear to be gone, M80 Speed Glaze only available in gallons, etc.. I have a Griot's ROP with orange, red, and black pads.

Mike Phillips

Re: Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??

All you need is the #7 and some terry cloth wash cloths.

Those other thing I show in the original article are secondary to the actual process.

Pictures?

:$

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??

Here's a couple of the roof....

Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??-20190223_061951-jpg

Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??-20190223_062014-jpg

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Speedviktm View Post
    Here's a couple of the roof....

Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??-20190223_061951-jpg

Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??-20190223_062014-jpg

That's very dramatic. The paint went from a dull light grey to a more clear, darker grey.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are both before pictures, no work has been done yet. 1st pic is just the general condition, 2nd pic to detail the orange-peel.

Goodies ordered and I'll post results after I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like

After three #7 soaks over about 36 hours I started machine polishing the roof tonight since it's the worst part. A couple of passes with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with a Griot's black pad and ROP. I did a tape line to see how it was doing, didn't really need it, the results were obvious...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Items Update to The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints??-20190304_210203-jpg  

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good after the #7 and polishing. But that was a lot of orange peel sadly. Do you know if it's repainted. It looks that way with the amount of orange peel it has. If it's repainted and their is a thick layer of paint it could be wet sanded down to a great finish. But take advise from Mike Phillips if it's really is a metallic SS paint on how to do further on.

Did you see any paint color transfer on the polishing pad when you did the roof? And is the whole car in that condition?

/ Tony

9. Likes Speedviktm liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's your picture....

Like Tony said, looks like lots of orange peel.

If this is single stage metallic paint, sanding is really tricky because you'll be sanding ON the flake.

11. Thanks Speedviktm thanked for this post
    Likes Speedviktm, SWETM, ClearVue18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Looks good after the #7 and polishing. But that was a lot of orange peel sadly. Do you know if it's repainted. It looks that way with the amount of orange peel it has. If it's repainted and their is a thick layer of paint it could be wet sanded down to a great finish. But take advise from Mike Phillips if it's really is a metallic SS paint on how to do further on.

Did you see any paint color transfer on the polishing pad when you did the roof? And is the whole car in that condition?

/ Tony
    Yeah, it's definitely been repainted, and poorly. Beyond the orange peel, it's blotchy, different shades, a few tapes lines, etc... The previous owner checked with a detailer on sanding and was advised not to, he said it would likely mess up the flake and turn the paint gray.

Frankly, following Mike's direction has already yielded better results than I was hoping for (I set my expectations low) and if I can turn this car from a 50 footer to a 20 footer I'll be tickled to death. And if life will cooperate, the car will get disassembled, blasted, and painted in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Like Tony said, looks like lots of orange peel.

If this is single stage metallic paint, sanding is really tricky because you'll be sanding ON the flake.

Yeah, this car is a trifecta of troubles!! Orange Peel + Single stage + Metallic. As I said above, I'm just hoping for "better" and it looks like I'm well on my way. Thank you for your direction and assistance!!!

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on repaint the car you have a good plan on just try it to shine the best you can.

Have you seen the Optimum Clear Shield I think it's called. Even if it's made for revive thin clearcoats and scratches. Yvan at Optimum did use it on a F150 with a SS paint. So when more people have used it and tried it. It can be a product to have in mind to use. Wondering how it would work on orange peel if it could flat the paint out it could be a less noticeble orange peel.

Edit: Optimum Clear Coat Restorer is the name of the product I meant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast