autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sticky Leather Steering Wheel

No, I don't want to know how to clean my leather steering wheel, I want to know how to make it sticky!

My 2013 Genesis Coupe Track has a nice leather wheel but the leather is very slick. Couple that with the fact that my hands tend to be pretty dry and I end up with a situation that is less than ideal.

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on it and it's great for a day or two if I don't go back and buff off the conditioner after it's dried. But then it's quickly back to super slick.

And no, I'm not interested in wearing driving gloves.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sticky Leather Steering Wheel

303 is somewhat sticky, if you don't buff it off or wipe it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just use a cleaner and keep it clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Steering wheel cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

You can use that grip wrapping for tennis rackets. If you wanted to go with a chemical some hairspray might add a tackiness to it.

Post Thanks / Like

If it has gotten slick from use, first I clean it well and if it is still shiney, I use a magic eraser on it to restore the matte look. You have to be super gentle with the magic eraser though or you'll be sending your wheel of to get re-skinned.

Mike Phillips

Try wiping it down with a strong solution of any quality all-purpose-cleaner.

Or Isopropyl Alcohol, maybe lacquer thinner?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Well, maybe not the tennis racket grip tape one, I want the wheel to BE tacky, not LOOK tacky. ;-) The problem has been there from the day it was built, it's not a matter of wear or whatever. They just used a very slick leather on this wheel. In fact, some GenCoupe wheels develop a surface checking problem and Hyundai replaced them under warranty. Unfortunately, mine wasn't one of them. The replacement wheel has more texture, but it's super expensive as are aftermarket/re-skinned wheels, so those options are out.

I do keep the wheel clean and have often thought maybe that's counterproductive. But I can't bear the thought that getting the wheel tacky enough means letting a bunch of dirt and grime build up. Plus, unless I dip my hands in Pepsi or something before driving, that build up would take a very long time because I don't have sweaty hands.

I'll give the 303 Protectent a shot since it doesn't seem like that would hurt the leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonydi View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Well, maybe not the tennis racket grip tape one, I want the wheel to BE tacky, not LOOK tacky. ;-) The problem has been there from the day it was built, it's not a matter of wear or whatever. They just used a very slick leather on this wheel. In fact, some GenCoupe wheels develop a surface checking problem and Hyundai replaced them under warranty. Unfortunately, mine wasn't one of them. The replacement wheel has more texture, but it's super expensive as are aftermarket/re-skinned wheels, so those options are out.

I do keep the wheel clean and have often thought maybe that's counterproductive. But I can't bear the thought that getting the wheel tacky enough means letting a bunch of dirt and grime build up. Plus, unless I dip my hands in Pepsi or something before driving, that build up would take a very long time because I don't have sweaty hands.

I'll give the 303 Protectent a shot since it doesn't seem like that would hurt the leather.
    Yeah the grip tape would look terrible. Perhaps an upholstery shop could custom make a new steering wheel with leather or material that is less smooth.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Yeah the grip tape would look terrible. Perhaps an upholstery shop could custom make a new steering wheel with leather or material that is less smooth.
    That's a good point, I need to check with local shops. I dismissed the idea originally because places that sell a service where you ship them your wheel and they use the core metal parts and then put on new grips/leather get about $600 for that and your car is down for a couple of weeks. But these are specialty "tuner" shops so it's possible that a local "regular" upholstery shop might be able to do if for a more reasonable price.