autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don’t get this?

Due to technical problems on my end right now, I can't see the screen capture, but based on everyone's responses, I have a pretty good feel for what was going on.

There is something about the FB platform which seems to bring out the worst in people. I have long-term friends who I always felt were pretty stable, rational people, but over the last couple of years some of the garbage they post on that platform was pretty disappointing. I've had to mute a couple, unfortunately. It also seem the larger the scope of the FB page, i.e. businesses in a popular industry, seem to exponentially attract more trolls. I too left the AG FB group after only a couple days. However on the opposite end, my local SCCA autocross chapter seems to stay very civil, and to a lesser extent the city-wide Cars and Coffee page (which I think is very surprising).

I've come to the point when seeking important information or have the need to discuss a topic, FB is the LAST place I'll go. It has become one of those places where nothing good ever really happens.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes dlc95, Aaryn NZ, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad I never joined FB to begin with. Not enough positive comes from it.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, PaulMys, BillE, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    There is something about the FB platform which seems to bring out the worst in people. I have long-term friends who I always felt were pretty stable, rational people, but over the last couple of years some of the garbage they post on that platform was pretty disappointing. I've had to mute a couple, unfortunately. It also seem the larger the scope of the FB page, i.e. businesses in a popular industry, seem to exponentially attract more trolls. I too left the AG FB group after only a couple days. However on the opposite end, my local SCCA autocross chapter seems to stay very civil, and to a lesser extent the city-wide Cars and Coffee page (which I think is very surprising).

I've come to the point when seeking important information or have the need to discuss a topic, FB is the LAST place I'll go. It has become one of those places where nothing good ever really happens.
    As with anything, 'intelligence gathering' on Facebook is only as good as the source (person) providing it. While the Autogeek Facebook group is certainly the wild, wild, West of social media detailing groups, occasionally valid info can be obtained if one can distinguish the validity of the source. With nearly 40k members, there's certainly gonna be some 'good apples' among the yahoo's. Unfortunately, the noise generated by the yahoo's and the pretenders will drown out the decent contributors as they generally will post a tidbit of info and then essentially 'go away', not responding to any further disagreement or disparagement of their posted information. These are folks who are not often swayed by the 'Flavor of the Month' (Beadmaker, anyone?) and provide information with enough detail to make a reader pretty sure they have actually used the product in question. Unfortunately, based on volume of posting alone, they are often drowned out by self-proclaimed experts, some of whom I suspect have not actually used many (if any) of the products they say are the greatest thing on earth; never any specific detail of product use, never any pictures, 50-50 shots or even bottles or product descriptions outside of what you find on the Autogeek online catalog. I've seen the self-proclaimed experts advise a relative newcomer that removal of a consumer coating involves wet sanding, no if's and's or but's; imagine if someone took that as gospel and went at their coated hood with predictably horrific results.

The Autogeek Facebook group is one I follow; heck, I enjoy reading *anything* on this topic although if trying to answer specific questions on things I know I have a somewhat firm foundation of experience in, I often do it via private message to avoid the resulting nonsense of 'brand champions'. I do get some pertinent info there on occasion and I'll usually check the posters profile to see if they have any other evidence of experience. It's a starting point at the very least...if you can tolerate the nonsense.

Aside from the chaff, there are certainly some decent groups available on Facebook although they are fewer and generally strictly moderated. There's a coating-specific group that is filled with mostly professionals and those guys don't mess around; pretenders and trolls are generally outed quickly (and politely) and soon disappear of their own accord as their personal agenda doesn't work well within a 'serious' group; 'know-it-alls' need not apply.

I use Facebook mostly in a passive fashion, following manufacturers and a few groups although, given the right mood, there is entertainment to be had in some groups. I think I joined back in 2012 and currently have less than 20 'friends', 99% of which I have turned off seeing their daily postings as one can only see so many cat, dog or baby pictures. It is generally the lowest common denominator when seeking valid information though; I don't easily understand why some turn to Facebook when a simple Google search would cast a far wider net.

Still, an occasional nugget of 'goodness' can be found if you're willing to sift through the trash...YMMV

6. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the admins and mods of FB groups in general don't take their 'jobs' very seriously, at least not like forums. That's where it pretty much begins and ends.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why I have proudly NEVER joined FB.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

10. Likes PaulMys, BillE, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    This is why I have proudly NEVER joined FB.
    Nothing wrong with joining FB, it's a useful tool, the issue here is joining the AG FB page and other similar pages.

12. Likes Aaryn NZ, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just try to be as helpful and positive as I can be on the Facebook Geek page,,,,I'm not one for trying to be better than anyone......we all have our ways of doing things
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Desertnate;1617879
    There is something about the FB platform which seems to bring out the worst in people. I have long-term friends who I always felt were pretty stable, rational people, but......[/QUOTE]

This.

I cannot stand the FB platform. As you said, even people you have known to be "friends" show their a$$es when they are free to drink wine and/or just have no immediate rebuttal to their off the cuff comments that they would think twice about in person.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love facebook. It's not worse than any other platform where people can leave comments. The thing is with social media is that idiots tend to stand out very quickly.

I think facebook is a very useful thing and you simply have to disregard the trolls and morons. It's not always easy and I have responded to ridiculous comments quite a few times but I think the key is to respond with facts and not get dragged down in an insult war.

Also, what many people consider trolls are people disagreeing with the original poster, or asking questions about what was being said. To me there is nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, it promotes debate and allow more information and facts to be presented. This is something I do myself often if I have doubts or am not sure about the original post. Most youtubers consider this trolling, but clearly it's not.

17. Likes dlc95, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I love facebook. It's not worse than any other platform where people can leave comments. The thing is with social media is that idiots tend to stand out very quickly.
    My problem is they seem to be in the majority and their chatter hides the good information and meaningful conversation to the point it isn't worth my limited time.

Also, what many people consider trolls are people disagreeing with the original poster, or asking questions about what was being said. To me there is nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, it promotes debate and allow more information and facts to be presented. This is something I do myself often if I have doubts or am not sure about the original post. Most youtubers consider this trolling, but clearly it's not.
    The trolling that causes me to loose patience are those who spout off information which is patently false, become personally offended and then personally attack those who prove them wrong with factual information. I have no patience for anyone not able to hold a mature discussion on a topic, unwilling to learn from others, and mature enough to admit they are wrong...or at least respectfully disagree. Meaningful discourse is a lost art, and almost extinct on social media.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

19. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.