autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What is this?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is this?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone can help identify what this is.

This stuff has been on my car after multiple washes for a month. I can't tell if this is some sort of road striping paint that someone used carelessly or if it's something like sap. It's definitely above the clear coat and not soft by any means. You can feel it with your nails and its yellow (the picture may not do it justice). I apologize if the link for the picture breaks forum rules ;however, I am struggling to use the uploader built onto this site.

Thanks in advance,
    Shan

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is this?

It kind of looks like road paint to me.

Other than washing the car, have you tried doing anything else to try to remove it? Like a clay bar, all purpose cleaner, etc?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried anything else really. I don't know how aggressive of a clay bar I really need. Could get an aggressive clay bar but that could cause some unnecessary marring and might not even do anything. I've seen some suggestions online about using lacquer thinner but I have no idea how safe that is for the clear coat. I'm hoping that somehow this is waterbased paint that'll just require some very hot water to remove. Any thoughts on using a plastic razor blade?

Post Thanks / Like

Highway paint. Clay won't be of much use. Wash the surface first, Use a spray wax or even interior dressing to heavily lubricate the area. Use a plastic razor blade or some other type of plastic scraper to carefully scrape it off. Scrape in the opposite direction of the splatter for best results. You're still going to mar the paint to some degree, so be prepared to do a light compound and/or polish. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link from a few years ago which I hope will help you: *Yellow street paint on my car, No Idea how to take it off*

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.