autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: beginner question regarding pads

I did my 2008 BMW with a Flex,orange Force pad and Menzerna 400. Followed up with white pad and 3800.
    You can one step it with the 400 if you want.

You are going to need at least LC orange flat pads and some compound for initial cut.

If you want to just worry about cleaning then a polish and LC flat pads will do

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those saying you might need to get more aggressive, though it kinda. depends on the color of white....BMW paints in general are a bit on the hard side...but there's a difference. Alpine White will be easier, I'd say give Speed a go with the LC Orange flat....might have to make an extra section pass or two. If it's Mineral White (has a pearl effect) then step up to a more aggressive pad or compound.....then you could finish it with speed on a white pad minimal passes...since its white you could even give speed a try with a MF cutting pad....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
    I agree with those saying you might need to get more aggressive, though it kinda. depends on the color of white....BMW paints in general are a bit on the hard side...but there's a difference. Alpine White will be easier, I'd say give Speed a go with the LC Orange flat....might have to make an extra section pass or two. If it's Mineral White (has a pearl effect) then step up to a more aggressive pad or compound.....then you could finish it with speed on a white pad minimal passes...since its white you could even give speed a try with a MF cutting pad....
    It's Alpine white. Is a combo of speed with a micro finishing pad lsp ready normally. It's my first go at machine polishing so i don't know if there's a greater learning curve with micro fiber vs orange pad.

Post Thanks / Like

You could introduce some very light marring, but being that the car is white I doubt you would notice......though if you haven't used MF before you may want to do some testing/playing when you aren't on a mission to get something accomplished.....the LC Orange should do the trick with n extra pass or two. I have no experience with Speed but I played with Menzerna 3in1 on my Sparkling Graphite Metallic BMW w/LC Force Orange and had good results.....

5. Thanks Artdnj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the GG6 with both HD Speed and Griot's Correcting Cream.

As mentioned above, Speed plays the best with my LC flat orange pad. The Griot's CC works with a white pad, but it takes more passes. So I also use orange with the CC.

That being said, I can use a white pad with the CC on my wife's Jeep Wrangler and it works just fine. Test spots!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks Artdnj thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of speed with the B&S orange pad to start.Tempted to use MF polishing pad but this is my first time using a orb polisher and thought I should keep it easy. Not really looking to do a 2 step, just polish and coat with 845.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
    Thinking of speed with the B&S orange pad to start.Tempted to use MF polishing pad but this is my first time using a orb polisher and thought I should keep it easy. Not really looking to do a 2 step, just polish and coat with 845.
    Nothing wrong with your plan at all. Everyone starts from scratch.

All of your products are top-notch. I say go for it, and learn how this session goes for you personally.

10. Likes Artdnj, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats my thinking PaulMys, I learned a lot on here, not spending too much but getting what I believe is good bang for the buck. Once the weather turns a bit I'll be giving it a go and I am sure that will open up a whole new can of worms and my wallet.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also forgo the Speed and use a dedicated polishing compound.

Something like 3D ONE might be a great option because it can cut and finish beautifully, just by switching the pad. With the orange or white, you might get it done in one shot, lay a coat of 845, and enjoy the view.

You might want a "range" of pads to work with in the event your paint is unresponsive to your efforts, and you find yourself needing more cutting power, or finishing finesse.

14. Thanks Artdnj thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats my thinking PaulMys, I learned a lot on here, not spending too much but getting what I believe is good bang for the buck. Once the weather turns a bit I'll be giving it a go and I am sure that will open up a whole new can of worms and my wallet.
    For the record, I love Speed and 845 and have used this combo more than a few times.

You won't be disappointed.

16. Thanks Artdnj thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast