autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How would You get Remove this Stain from Dash?

My car's black dash, which is made out of vinyl protected leather I believe, has this weird stain on it. I think it might have been from an old window cleaning agent or something.

I tried rubbing it off with some Griot's Garage interior cleaner but no dice. I also sprayed on Aerospace 303 to see if I could mask it, but also no luck...

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How would You get Remove this Stain from Dash?-51474592_10157052808603436_2912172055015194624_o-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How would You get Remove this Stain from Dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsworld View Post
    My car's black dash, which is made out of vinyl protected leather I believe, has this weird stain on it. I think it might have been from an old window cleaning agent or something.

I tried rubbing it off with some Griot's Garage interior cleaner but no dice. I also sprayed on Aerospace 303 to see if I could mask it, but also no luck...

Any ideas?
    Try some diluted all purpose cleaner such as Meguiars D101 @10:1. That’s what I would use and I’m confident it’d remove it. Anything similar should suffice. [the results from the Griots Interior Cleaner comes at no surprise]

Afterwards or if the APC isn’t available, clean off the 303 Protectant and instead use Leather Conditioner.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Try some diluted all purpose cleaner such as Meguiars D101 @10:1. That’s what I would use and I’m confident it’d remove it. Anything similar should suffice. [the results from the Griots Interior Cleaner comes at no surprise]

Afterwards or if the APC isn’t available, clean off the 303 Protectant and instead use Leather Conditioner.

Thanks, I will look into the Meguiars D101.

I think the dash has a layer of "vinyl" on top of the leather since it doesn't soak in liquid like bare leather does. Would Leather conditioner still be the choice here? I actually did initially try cleaning the dash with Leather Cleaner, which obviously isn't very potent or abrasive so it didn't do much

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as confident as Eldo that can be cleaned off, it looks more like discoloration to me, rather than something topical. I'm kind of surprised the 303 didn't help, that would be my suggestion, to try to dress it away.

Post Thanks / Like

APC and scrub with a nail brush for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsworld View Post
    I think the dash has a layer of "vinyl" on top of the leather since it doesn't soak in liquid like bare leather does. Would Leather conditioner still be the choice here? I actually did initially try cleaning the dash with Leather Cleaner, which obviously isn't very potent or abrasive so it didn't do much
    Pretty unusual to have a leather dashboard. What kind of car? It's typical for automotive leather to have a very thin clear coating (I believe it's polyurethane, rather than vinyl), but I'm not convinced that dash is leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Have it been mounted anything there before? I see the velcro and a bolt missing so could be something has been there and laying on the discolored part. Then it could be with the vibrations it could been scratching it. If you could get a closer picture on the spot we could see more on what it can be.

Post Thanks / Like

it's hard to see. but I'm looking at that strip of velcro & I'm wondering what was there. maybe some kind of device with a cord plugged into the cigarette lighter ? constant rubbing from that cord could smooth out the leather. it's looks like a wear pattern to me, but it's hard to tell from hear.
    hmardown

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

we must have been typing at the same time'
    Carlo

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. Nothing was mounted in that spot, the velcro is for a gauge cluster but it mounts forward of where the stain is.

I guess the only solution is to buy the APC and just go at it and hope it comes out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast