autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the point of a ceramic coating if you have to maintain it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I think OP makes some valid points.

Question: If coatings are so chemical resistant, why do things go south if you make the mistake of washing your car with a typical OTC car shampoo? I could see if the warnings included not spraying your paint with bug spray or weed killer, but according to some pro detailers you can’t even use a typical quik detailer once your car is coated. Yet they’re still touted as being great for “chemical resistance”?

What chemicals are they so great at resisting if they can’t even handle the wrong car shampoo?

Ech2o is considered a topper. Just sayin.
    Well since you live in LA I highly doubt you see the chemicals they throw on the road during the winter, Google liquid salt and tell me those aren't some serious chemicals. I've tried all the durable sealants and they just don't make it thru a really rough winter but the CQUK has without fail. As far as Ech2o being a topper I doubt at 1oz per 2 gallons really adds anything substantial.

2. Likes The Guz, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think OP makes some valid points.

Question: If coatings are so chemical resistant, why do things go south if you make the mistake of washing your car with a typical OTC car shampoo? I could see if the warnings included not spraying your paint with bug spray or weed killer, but according to some pro detailers you can’t even use a typical quik detailer once your car is coated. Yet they’re still touted as being great for “chemical resistance”?

What chemicals are they so great at resisting if they can’t even handle the wrong car shampoo?

Ech2o is considered a topper. Just sayin.
    your coating did not go "south" due to car shampoo,
    car shampooes won't even desolve wax....

It is wax/ conditioner/ other layer of protection built in to soap.

Same reason why coating companies tell you not to use wax/ sealant / QD etc on top of coating....
    why install coating that has higher performance than wax/ sealant and then cover it up with wax to interfear with coating performance...

For coated car, you want to use pure soap with nothing else in it such as gyeon essence.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

4. Dislikes acuRAS82 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Well since you live in LA I highly doubt you see the chemicals they throw on the road during the winter, Google liquid salt and tell me those aren't some serious chemicals. I've tried all the durable sealants and they just don't make it thru a really rough winter but the CQUK has without fail. As far as Ech2o being a topper I doubt at 1oz per 2 gallons really adds anything substantial.
    I see you are also in IL! I'm in Chicago, literally done 3 touchless car washes this week to remove salt. What sucks the most? My car is brand spanking new and due to weather has 0 protection.

I washed with Ech2o and after one rain/snowfall it was gone. I MIGHT do a rinseless tonight and add some PNS or BSD tonight, but feel lazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I see you are also in IL! I'm in Chicago, literally done 3 touchless car washes this week to remove salt. What sucks the most? My car is brand spanking new and due to weather has 0 protection.

I washed with Ech2o and after one rain/snowfall it was gone. I MIGHT do a rinseless tonight and add some PNS or BSD tonight, but feel lazy.
    I feel your pain, tomorrow morning I have plans to crank up the garage heater and wash all 3 cars. Unfortunately more snow is coming Sunday! This winter has really sucked and add in the potholes and the disgusting dirty roads and for sure it's an uphill battle. I'm thankful it rained yesterday as I purposely parked outside and let the rain wash away some of the crust

Post Thanks / Like

and I am dealing with 70 degree weather in Richmond, VA and it was 10 like 2 weeks ago.... wth xD
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn’t anyone buy some cheap $3 coating from China to coat their underbody and protect it from that salt? There’s a chance it’s comparable to the expensive coatings and if so then maybe it could protect from the salt and prevent rust and corrosion? If I lived out there I would’ve done that already.

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn’t anyone buy some cheap $3 coating from China to coat their underbody and protect it from that salt? There’s a chance it’s comparable to the expensive coatings and if so then maybe it could protect from the salt and prevent rust and corrosion? If I lived out there I would’ve done that already.

I've seen it get horrible reviews for durability with a lot of fakes being out there. As with any wax/sealant or coating to last, you need to apply to a fully prepped and cleaned surface. Good luck doing that under the car lol. I rather spray grease. Also the bigger issue is rust and corrosion, if the salt isnt removed.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I've seen it get horrible reviews for durability with a lot of fakes being out there. As with any wax/sealant or coating to last, you need to apply to a fully prepped and cleaned surface. Good luck doing that under the car lol. I rather spray grease. Also the bigger issue is rust and corrosion, if the salt isnt removed.
    Put the car on a lift, clean it, coat it, from there maintenance should be easy thanks to the coating? Salt will wash right off just like it does on the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t seen the reviews, but if they’re anything like some reviews of Kirkland microfibers, I can already smell the bias and fanboyism.

Some people just won’t believe things unless a famous person endorsed it + they’ve read other peoples comments about it + there’s a high price on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Put the car on a lift, clean it, coat it, from there maintenance should be easy thanks to the coating? Salt will wash right off just like it does on the paint?
    I haven’t seen the reviews, but if they’re anything like some reviews of Kirkland microfibers, I can already smell the bias and fanboyism.

Some people just won’t believe things unless a famous person endorsed it + they’ve read other peoples comments about it + there’s a high price on it.

We are talking about the purpose of coating, if $3 made in china coating works for you, go ahead
    but again if they works that well, then why any of pro detailers use it?

I mean there is mr fix 9H and 9h mr fix and they call each other "fake" products, with no data sheet available to public and etc.
    but again, we are talking purpose of coating.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast