autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1966 Chrysler Imperials

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Here is what I was thinking.

1. Rinseless wash with Wolfgang Uber.
    2. Clay bar with Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay
    3. Condition with Meguiars No. 7 Glaze
    4. Polish with HD Polish+
    5. Seal the paint with Wolfgang DGPS.

Am I missing something important? I don't want to be too aggressive with the paint.

The would be a very good approach but I'll share how I would tackle it....

The paint looks like it's it good shape UNDER the oxidation. Thus while there is nothing wrong with the #7 Rub Down Technique, I would opt to do this,

Waterless wash
    Nanoskin towel
    BLACKFIRE One Step with a foam pad on any orbital polisher. I would either use the BEAST or a Griot's 6" ROP
    Stick a fork in it and call it done or top with a fine carnauba finishing wax

Most important - BE VERY CAREFUL around any raised body lines.

I know you've seen the below article but for anyone reading this into the future (I always type for the future), look at the pictures in this article.

Whisper Thin Paint on Classic Cars by Mike Phillips - Be Careful!

2. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The would be a very good approach but I'll share how I would tackle it....

The paint looks like it's it good shape UNDER the oxidation. Thus while there is nothing wrong with the #7 Rub Down Technique, I would opt to do this,

Waterless wash
    Nanoskin towel
    BLACKFIRE One Step with a foam pad on any orbital polisher. I would either use the BEAST or a Griot's 6" ROP
    Stick a fork in it and call it done or top with a fine carnauba finishing wax

Most important - BE VERY CAREFUL around any raised body lines.

I know you've seen the below article but for anyone reading this into the future (I always type for the future), look at the pictures in this article.

Whisper Thin Paint on Classic Cars by Mike Phillips - Be Careful!

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I have the Griots One Step Sealant. Is that similar to the Blackfire One Step? As long as the paint is in good shape, maybe I can skip the glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow soon as you get this done he’ll be buying anything you selling, go for it and give us updates. I agree go with least agressive method, most likely original single stage paint. But should be fun project.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word to the wise....
    If you're not insured, get that way before you touch either one of these classic beasts. They probably mean more to him than his mother does so even the slightest "whoops" is going to be disastrous and bring an abrupt end to your relationship - whether or not you're insured. Having insurance will make sure ANYTHING that happens, big or tiny, will be rectified to his satisfaction.

I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job on them and you'll undoubtedly have much to share and talk about. But, no matter how flawless you make 99% of the car look, that 1% that gets screwed up will negate any and all wizardry you pull off. So much better safe than sorry!
    Looking forward to the results!
    Subscribed...

6. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    If you're not insured, get that way before you touch either one of these classic beasts. They probably mean more to him than his mother does so even the slightest "whoops" is going to be disastrous and bring an abrupt end to your relationship - whether or not you're insured. Having insurance will make sure ANYTHING that happens, big or tiny, will be rectified to his satisfaction.

I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job on them and you'll undoubtedly have much to share and talk about. But, no matter how flawless you make 99% of the car look, that 1% that gets screwed up will negate any and all wizardry you pull off. So much better safe than sorry!
    Subscribed...
    I'm sorry King Steve can you post that again but this time in all CAPS Just to make sure people get that lol. Nationwide better be on your side! Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I have the Griots One Step Sealant.

Is that similar to the Blackfire One Step?

No. It's similar in that it's a CLEANER/sealant, that is it cleans/abrades then polishes and seals but it's no where near as aggressive as BLACKFIRE One Step.

You can always increase the cut of a cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant by increasing the cut of the pad but do a Test Spot and make sure the pad is not leaving pad haze which is micro-marring only caused by the pad instead of the abrasives.

If you like, I'll send you some BLACKFIRE One Step to test out on these classics. It's very safe with a foam polishing pad. Just like I said, avoid raised body lines. A good practice is to buff up to a raised body line, but don't buff on top of a raised body line.

9. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes Celabe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the sales.

Hopefully you to detail these cars.

11. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    I'm sorry King Steve can you post that again but this time in all CAPS Just to make sure people get that lol. Nationwide better be on your side! Lol

Why are you throwing shade at my post? I wasn't preaching and I definitely didn't come off as pompous, at least I don't think I did. There are a lot of people that post and/or lurk here that service other people's vehicles that don't have insurance. I would hate to read a follow up post that brought a less than happy ending to this thread due to the OP accidentally damaging one of the cars and having to pay for it out of pocket. Been there, done that and it sucks.

But, whatever. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to call me out for a reasonable and positive post.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you throwing shade at my post? I wasn't preaching and I definitely didn't come off as pompous, at least I don't think I did. There are a lot of people that post and/or lurk here that service other people's vehicles that don't have insurance. I would hate to read a follow up post that brought a less than happy ending to this thread due to the OP accidentally damaging one of the cars and having to pay for it out of pocket. Been there, done that and it sucks.

But, whatever. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to call me out for a reasonable and positive post.
    Huh that wasn't shade coach. I was agreeing with you. Lol. Well this just got awkward. Lol

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed...
    That is good advice Steve. If I am given the opportunity to work on these cars, I would never use a machine or product that is too aggressive. I'm scared to ruin my own vehicle's finish let alone an old classic. What type of insurance do you carry as a detailer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast