autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Serious hands-on detailing classes - not sitting in chairs or working on demo hoods

Serious hands-on detailing classes - not sitting in chairs or working on demo hoods

People learn best by doing, not sitting in chairs listening to someone talk while looking at a power point presentation. Boring.

The first car for this weekend's 3-day class has arrived. Everyone attending this class will learn paint correction followed by how to correctly apply a ceramic paint coating.

ALL STEEL - 1932 Ford 5-Window Coupe Streetrod - BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT Paint System - just like the paint on your car.

Next 3-day class is in May and then September. Our 3 day classes are ALWAYS the same time each year.

January
    May
    September

Look at the top of any forum page or store page for the cheesy picture of me and >click< on it for more info. Learn on real-world skills on real-world cars. Very little sitting, 100% learning and fun.

2. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Serious hands-on detailing classes - not sitting in chairs or working on demo hoods

Until I saw those pics with the Scangrip light, I was thinking it was already done! Class will be a great learning experience. While it does have lots of flat panels, those curves and fenders are needing some special tools and techniques.

Mike Phillips

Re: Serious hands-on detailing classes - not sitting in chairs or working on demo hoods

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Until I saw those pics with the Scangrip light, I was thinking it was already done!
    Yeah.... that's why I take lots of before pictures and videos to document the before condition. Sometimes it's all about the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

While it does have lots of flat panels, those curves and fenders are needing some special tools and techniques.

The classic 1932 Ford Coupe body style is actually very challenging to properly buff out. This would hold true for just about any car built in the 1920's through 1942 just before World War II broke out and domestic car production stopped.

The good news is, there's a couple of ways to tackle the intricate areas.

1. RUPES Nano
    2. Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher
    3. FLEX 3" Mini Polisher

and good old elbow grease, which means working by hand.

A couple of comments about working by hand. I've been answering questions about how to remove swirls by hand for years both here and on MOL. I always say to work by hand requires a LOT more technique than to work by machine.

Yancy and Elliott made a video recently called Man vs Machine. I have not watched it so I don't know what they do? But back in 2009 I actually did a REAL demonstration of what you can do by hand and documented it here,

Man versus Machine

I show that using correct technique you can in fact remove swirls by hand. What I also point out is that while it can be done... it take a lot more time and energy than doing the same thing using what I call an Entry Level Tool aka a simple free spinning 8mm random orbital polisher like the Griot's Garage 6" ROP. Or any of the similar variants.

And while it is much easier and faster to do any type of paint polishing by hand, the truth is in order to be a true professional you kneed to have good hand skills.

At the class this weekend, I will wet sand a panel and show you how to remove the sanding marks by hand. Later I'll make a serious video that also shares the skill and technique to do the job right the first time.

5. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also - there's a video in the below thread showing the paint on the black 1932 Ford.

Video: Before condition - Training Cars for Bootcamp Class

7. Likes axel06 liked this post