autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New truck. Need ceramic coating prep advice

Thanks in advance. I purchased a 2018 Magnetic grey Tacoma in October. Has about 1100 miles on it (not my DD) and has been stored inside day and night. Have not even washed it yet. I am going to San Antonio to Expel to have their Ultimate clear bra installed on the front/mirrors/a-pillars and then I anticipate I will ceramic coat it.

My question deals with the prep work I should do prior to the ceramic coating. This is a brand new truck, but it was on the dealer's lot since June. Wash/clay bar for sure. Iron product next? MOST important: Do I use just a paint cleaner or a finishing polish on a new clear coat like this? Being a half year old and with 1100 miles on it probably needs something done to bring out the utmost depth and shine before the ceramic coating? But what? Please recommend specific cleaning/polishing product and corresponding pad.

I bought the CarPro CQ.UK 3.0 ceramic coating and their Gliss on this site. I want to be sure to do my due diligence in researching this before I do anything and am in no hurry. The truck sits in my shop and will continue to do so until this is complete. I have a fair amount of experience with a Porter Cable on my G8 and boat using Adam's polishes and Zaino's Z2 & Z5 coatings. I can correct paint and fiberglass gellcoat, but I have never started out with a completely new car so I don't want to do the wrong process of prepping. Without it having the cumulative wear of a used car I am at a loss to know what to do to prep a new car. I appreciate any help you can give! Thanks!

My previous work:

New truck.  Need ceramic coating prep advice-picture-031-jpgNew truck.  Need ceramic coating prep advice-picture-034-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New truck. Need ceramic coating prep advice

Check out Mike's thread. This post has good information on the steps to prep prior to coating it.

Review & How-to: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely use Iron-X to decon your truck. A finishing polish would be the minimum as there will be marring and potentially light scratches. I would use CarPro Essence with a CarPro Gloss Pad killing two birds at once. Essence will correct and give your truck a nice shine and also provide a base/primer for UK3.0. Enjoy the new ride!

4. Likes SWETM, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Definitely use Iron-X to decon your truck. A finishing polish would be the minimum as there will be marring and potentially light scratches. I would use CarPro Essence with a CarPro Gloss Pad killing two birds at once. Essence will correct and give your truck a nice shine and also provide a base/primer for UK3.0. Enjoy the new ride!
    I think this is sound plan as carpros say will give paint best surface for cquk3 to umm (mate?) with the paint. Don’t know much about the car pros gloss pad but if RLM says there good I believe him. If swirl marks use a Aio pad, lake country green CCS smart pads my choice. Griots guy told me their yellow boss pads I have would be also great. If no swirls and paint looks good I would guess just a black polishing pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a new F250 w CQuartz UK 3 + Gliss V2. Polished with Essence on CarPro Gloss Pad after normal chemical Gyeon Iron and claybar prep. CarPro Iron-X would be just as good as Gyeon Iron.

Really enjoyed the mostly CarPro experience; Essence was just a treat to use and Eraser might be a new favorite panel wipe once I use up Gyeon, Feynlab and Gtechniq I've accumulated.

Never used much CarPro stuff but it seems to be well thought out stuff and works quite nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

New truck. Need ceramic coating prep advice

If you want you can throw in a paint prep soap like McKee’s 37 Coating Prep Shampoo. I know Adams makes one too. Not a necessity since you will for sure be polishing but it helps to start off with a fresh surface.

Also recommend getting the bigger bottle of an iron remover as you most likely will use most of it up on the Tacoma. And it’s a great once/twice a year maintenance product for the Coating. Also consider getting a clay mitt rather than a clay bar. It will save a lot of time and effort.

+1 on the Essence for polishing/priming the paint. I’ve heard great things about it. Also consider getting DLUX for any plastic pieces and your wheels. You can even use it on your engine bay making future maintenance a breeze. I would also consider CP’s new Elixir>Reload as the top off/maintenance product for the Coating. Best of luck and enjoy your Tacoma! It’ll last you years!i had my 2001 for 17years before I sold it with 280k on the odometer. Drove it hard and took it many places.
    Also i noticed you are going to San Antonio for Expel installation, If you need quality heat rejecting tint with that Texas sun look up Lonestar auto boutique. They are about 20 mins away from Expel. I used to work there for JM (the owner) and Gonzalo ( his best employee) do quality work and have a beautiful shop. If you end up going there tell them I sent you. Best of luck.
    -Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    If you want you can throw in a paint prep soap like McKee’s 37 Coating Prep Shampoo. I know Adams makes one too. Not a necessity since you will for sure be polishing but it helps to start off with a fresh surface.

Also recommend getting the bigger bottle of an iron remover as you most likely will use most of it up on the Tacoma. And it’s a great once/twice a year maintenance product for the Coating. Also consider getting a clay mitt rather than a clay bar. It will save a lot of time and effort.

+1 on the Essence for polishing/priming the paint. I’ve heard great things about it. Also consider getting DLUX for any plastic pieces and your wheels. You can even use it on your engine bay making future maintenance a breeze. I would also consider CP’s new Elixir>Reload as the top off/maintenance product for the Coating. Best of luck and enjoy your Tacoma! It’ll last you years!i had my 2001 for 17years before I sold it with 280k on the odometer. Drove it hard and took it many places.
    Also i noticed you are going to San Antonio for Expel installation, If you need quality heat rejecting tint with that Texas sun look up Lonestar auto boutique. They are about 20 mins away from Expel. I used to work there for JM (the owner) and Gonzalo ( his best employee) do quality work and have a beautiful shop. If you end up going there tell them I sent you. Best of luck.
    -Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Also this was the end result on a silver Tundra with a similar process. CQuartz 2.0 plus Gliss v1.
    New truck.  Need ceramic coating prep advice-img_9699-jpgNew truck.  Need ceramic coating prep advice-img_9811-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk