autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?

I recently upgraded from a GG6 to a Griot's Boss G15. I love the G15, but have a quick question regarding pads. I have a ton of classic LC foam pads from the GG6 (these: Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads). I have heard that due to the longer throw of the G15, a vented (center cutout) type pad is recommended to disperse the increased heat. Is it alright to use my existing pads, or would you recommend using a dedicated long throw pad? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?

I still use my old Lake Country Flat Foam pads on my G21 from time to time... I’ve never had an issue or noticed sub par performance from using them at all. As long as you’re not 1 of those people who does 4-5 minute buffing cycles you should be fine.

The polisher tends to feel better in regards to comfort, smoothness, with the newer dedicated pads available, which could translate to better results depending on the user. For some people it doesn’t matter though. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and technique.

My favorite old style pads to run on my G21 are Meguiars Burgundy Thin Foam Cutting Discs. Those pads are sweet.

3. Thanks jbodrich1 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I still use my old Lake Country Flat Foam pads on my G21 from time to time... I’ve never had an issue or noticed sub par performance from using them at all. As long as you’re not 1 of those people who does 4-5 minute buffing cycles you should be fine.

The polisher tends to feel better in regards to comfort, smoothness, with the newer dedicated pads available, which could translate to better results depending on the user. For some people it doesn’t matter though. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and technique.

My favorite old style pads to run on my G21 are Meguiars Burgundy Thin Foam Cutting Discs. Those pads are sweet.
    Thanks for the response. I have the Rupes line of pads, the Griot's Boss pads and the LC HDO pads for the G15. I still prefer the classic LC pads for some reason though. What's your preferred long throw pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbodrich1 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I have the Rupes line of pads, the Griot's Boss pads and the LC HDO pads for the G15. I still prefer the classic LC pads for some reason though. What's your preferred long throw pad?
    Those Lake Country HD and HDO pads by far. I love those pads. Use them just about everytime unless I’m dealing with something weird. The Orange HD Orbital Foam Polishing Pad is the pad I spend most of my time with. The old HD pad not the newer one, but I do have the new ones too.

The old HD Orbitals are bigger than the new ones plus they flank out further and are just plain better.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There’s a batch of dirty HD Orbitals on my detailing cart right now. This pic was taken earlier today. I love those pads.Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I'm not familiar with the older HD pads. All I see on the LC website are the HDO pads (Lake Country - Foam Pads). Can you still purchase the pads you are referencing?

Post Thanks / Like

Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?

Quote Originally Posted by jbodrich1 View Post
    Hmm. I'm not familiar with the older HD pads. All I see on the LC website are the HDO pads (Lake Country - Foam Pads). Can you still purchase the pads you are referencing?
    They discontinued them.Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

The new HDO versions are the politically correct snooty cousins of the originals.
    The HD’s are a full 7”
    The HDO’s are a measly 6.5”

The HD’s are a bit softer and more comfortable & smoother than the HDO’s

The HDO Blue Cutting Pad is better than those HD Orbital Blue Foam cutting pad though... The old HD Blue foam cutting pad is wicked firm, sort of like that Blue Rupes pad, it can sling like crazy along with the rest of the stuff that makes it not so great...

The New Blue HDO cutting pad is improved vs. the old 1.

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The new HDO versions are the politically correct snooty cousins of the originals.
    The HD’s are a full 7”
    The HDO’s are a measly 6.5”

The HD’s are a bit softer and more comfortable & smoother than the HDO’s

The HDO Blue Cutting Pad is better than those HD Orbital Blue Foam cutting pad though... The old HD Blue foam cutting pad is wicked firm, sort of like that Blue Rupes pad, it can sling like crazy along with the rest of the stuff that makes it not so great...

The New Blue HDO cutting pad is improved vs. the old 1.
    Gotcha. Thanks for all the info. I'll experiment some more and see if I can bring myself to use the HDO pads. Happy polishing!

14. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?Classic, Non-vented Foam Pads on a Long Throw Polisher?