autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car - Thinking of Coating

To be clear, I'm not asking for three years. I used that number just the higher end of what some claim to say I prioritize shine over ultimate longevity. CQuartz UK 3.0 sounds like a winner.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two years is a reasonable expectation of a quality coating and I don't know if I'd want to go three years between fully detailing a vehicle anyway. Mike Phillips had an interesting thread here a few months ago talking about the case *against* multi year coatings. The premise was after a year or two, a coating will still be protecting the paint but doesn't provide the clear/crisp shine it once did due to the slow effects of time and exposure to the driving environment.

I experienced this first hand this summer. The McKee's Paint Coating v1 (now replaced by v2) had been on my car for over 18 months. The water behavior was still pretty good and I thought it looked pretty good until I started polishing. After one section, there was a visible difference in the finish as 18 months of road grime was polished away. The coating served VERY well and far outlived any sealant, but it was time. This experiense led me to go with a 18~24 month cycle on any coated car. A coating might protect even longer, but for my climate I won't go longer simply to keep the vehicle looking it's best; though it is nice to know I could wait even longer if needed.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes Maxreed241, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone, please forget 3 years. I wish I hadn't used that number as an example, which is all it was, not an expectation or even desire.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post

Hi there. My wife and I will be picking up a new X5 in Spartanburg next month. I treat her current car twice a year with Jescar Power Lock, which is still my favorite sealant, but I'm thinking about switching from Power Lock to a coating.

First, should I?

If so, which one considering the car is [metallic] white and I'd prioritize shine/gloss over something that lasts for 3 years?

Thanks!
    If the car were mine I would definitely apply a quality ceramic paint coating. I would also first,

Chemically decontaminate
    Wash
    Mechanically decontaminate
    Re-wash and dry
    Machine polish to ensure zero marring from the above and everything and anything that touched the paint since it popped off the assembly line
    Chemically decontaminate
    Apply the coating
    Wash with a pure wash - no built-in waxes or other glossing agents and also --> wash carefully as in - touch the paint/coating carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

I believe you can and will get longer life and not have to be re-applying a coating biannually if it is a good quality coating.

There are the many factors which will effect a coating's life. A daily driver, weather and road conditions that the vehicle encounters, garage kept or not, how often, and how you wash it, will be the main factors.

I 100% agree with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Two years is a reasonable expectation of a quality coating and I don't know if I'd want to go three years between fully detailing a vehicle anyway.
    I 100% agree with the above.

Mike Phillips had an interesting thread here a few months ago talking about the case *against* multi year coatings. The premise was after a year or two, a coating will still be protecting the paint but doesn't provide the clear/crisp shine it once did due to the slow effects of time and exposure to the driving environment.
    And I still believe this and see what I share in the article with my own eyes. Here's the link to the article...

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Note: In the above article, as is my norm, I also include links to related articles that make the case for what I share in the topic of the article. Try to find just that much information on one webpage anywhere on the Internet or on Facebook.

I experienced this first hand this summer.

BOOM!

Vindicated.

The McKee's Paint Coating v1 (now replaced by v2) had been on my car for over 18 months. The water behavior was still pretty good and I thought it looked pretty good until I started polishing.

After one section, there was a visible difference in the finish as 18 months of road grime was polished away.
    And that's what I'm talking about.

There are SO MANY EXPERTS on the Internet now days letting you know just how much they know about car detailing in general and paint detailing specifically. Be careful which Guru you follow.

The coating served VERY well and far outlived any sealant, but it was time.
    I agree. I think I have the very first how-to article on using McKee's paint coating, back when I wrote it - it was still Detailer's Pro Series and this in 2013, 6 years ago. I think my first write-up for a coating installation dates back to 2011 - I don't know of any other write-up that dates back that far but I'm sure there must be one somewhere?

Cleaned & Coated in 3 Hours - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

This experience led me to go with a 18~24 month cycle on any coated car.
    And I agree this is the top end of the "beauty aspect" of a quality coating installed on a car that is also a DAILY DRIVER and especially if the car is located in a geographical area where the car is driven in the rain. (See the article on ROAD FILM in the first article I linked to in this reply)

A coating might protect even longer, but for my climate I won't go longer simply to keep the vehicle looking it's best; though it is nice to know I could wait even longer if needed.
    I agree. I think a coating can protect for a long time, I just don't believe on daily driver's the car will ever LOOK good for a long time, at least not like it looks right after you apply the coating.

Here's something I share in all my detailing classes, it's shared as comedy, but it's true all the same and it pretty much applies to everything under the sun.

Nothing lasts forever, not even you and I

(You'll have to attend one of my many classes to fully appreciate the context)

Congrats on the new car, and "yes" get a quality, easy to use ceramic paint coating and go with it....

7. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Hard to believe this one dates all the way back to 2012.... the info is still accurate to this day. My writing style is to always type for the future, not the moment.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the replies, Mike! Based on what I've seen here I may try CQuartz UK 3.0.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    I'd say definitely shine and the ability to 'repel' dirt are most important to me. Maintenance doesn't bother me so much, although it would be nice to have something that only needs to be refreshed annually given the cost of these products.
    I’ll second Tony’s recommendation of Polish Angel Cosmic V2 given your objective of looks and coating characteristics, while being willing to do some regular maintenance.

Cosmic V2 is simple to use, applies just like a sealant. It is essentially PowerLock on steroids New Car - Thinking of Coating. The look - especially on white - is amazing!

You can’t go wrong with any of CarPro’s coatings, but you would not be disappointed with Cosmic V2!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

12. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been researching products a little more and it looks like the Cosmic V2 might be exactly what I was looking for.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12