autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning pads during use

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's some topical threads with great pictures.... (showing pads used)

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

How many pads do I need to buff out a 1948 Willys Jeepster?

Thanks Mike, getting several questions about pads cleared up rather quickly. Thanks everyone.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MAXBKS View Post

Thanks Mike, getting several questions about pads cleared up rather quickly.

Thanks everyone.

Looking forward to your future posts...

Post Thanks / Like

The correct answers have been provided. You can never have too many pads.

I have, in the long distant past, used 1 pad to buff out a car. One panel and a wet, soapy clean after makes for a loonngg cut/buff session. And that was a thorough fresh water flush, ring out, spin dry on my rotary and MF towel sandwich dry.

2 six packs, 1 orange LC thin pros and another of white LC thin pros should serve you well. You mentioned you already have a wax pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    The correct answers have been provided. You can never have too many pads.

I have, in the long distant past, used 1 pad to buff out a car. One panel and a wet, soapy clean after makes for a loonngg cut/buff session. And that was a thorough fresh water flush, ring out, spin dry on my rotary and MF towel sandwich dry.

2 six packs, 1 orange LC thin pros and another of white LC thin pros should serve you well. You mentioned you already have a wax pad.
    This. If you have a large vehicle you might have to clean and reuse one on the fly, but you should be pretty good to go. Keep an eye out for a good sale (they just had a 25% off) and buy as Paul A suggests.

I started with a 6 pack. Next time I had 18. Now I have about 30 because I went from the CCS pads to the thin pros.

Post Thanks / Like

another way to clean pads..

after spent pad is pulled off the flex .. I hit it with several sprays of WG pad cleaner and they pile up on the worktable until end of day.

clean all pads at once in a 5 gallon bucket..toss them in ..dunk them ..squeeze fold them over ..repeat..repeat …
    usually about 20 mins to clean a days worth of pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Friday night I took my 3 pad starter kit and did the hood on my wife's black Mazda CX-5 and man did it ever turn out nice.
    Took some of the buyers remorse away that I was feeling about having almost $200 in this little adventure and still no having enough equipment to do much.

Today a small calvary came to the rescue in the form of 3 orange and 3 green ccs lake country pads.
    So should have enough to do half a car at a time for a while until I spring for the 12 pack pick and choose sold here on
    auto geek.

according to LC aggressive chart green is halfway between orange and the black wax pad. Is this a good choice or would white be better for the polishing as Paul A uses or is there much difference.

Thanks for all the input, all has been helpful, Max

Post Thanks / Like

Max
    everytime I place an order with autogeek I pick up a new pad. most the time I wait for a sale or free shipping. but I always pick up at least one favorite pad. before you know it you'll have a pretty good supply. I keep them clean & let them air dry inside my cabinet. once I'm sure their 100 % dry I'll store them in plastic bin or bag. I don't let them dry in the garage or basement. you'd be surprised how much dust & dirt will settle on the face of your pads. I think I've only tossed out two pads in the last three years. good luck.
    Carlo

Post Thanks / Like

My first gig with my new Porter Cable. Wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5

Always liked to keep the cars clean, discovered bar clay couple of years ago and that was a big improvement but this buffing is all new level.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

9. Likes SWETM, Artdnj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work on the CX-5!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great work on the CX-5!

/ Tony
    Thanks for the compliment Tony but I'm sure if examined up close there is probably plenty still wrong with it.

Bought this car about 3 months ago from my daughter who bought it new while living at the beach. The car was parked right off the sand
    and with the moist night air and steady breeze the car would look almost tan at times for lack of steady washing. It had some horrific
    water spots/etching on front hood and top. Wish I had of taken some close up pics before I started.

products used...nanoskin 7x7" towel and wolfgang uber for lubricant...Griots complete compound-Griots complete polishing...
    collinite 845 and uber as a quick detail. I'm happy with results first time out of the gate.

Oh, I started this thread whining and crying about having to buy more pads so here is my update on that.
    Started with Meguires starter pack 1orange/1white/1black...since have added LC CCS 3orange/3green...LC flats 3/orange/3white
    LC thin pro 2grey/5orange/5white and another black pad for waxing bought off the outlet LC hybrid i think. A real smorgasboard of pads. All 5.5"

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions
    Max

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast