autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: S2000 With Possible CC Damage Question

The feeling is definitely noticeable. The parts of the paint without overspray that i haven't clayed are clean and a little grabby. The parts with overspray are slick, but not smooth if that makes sense. I just did a baggy test and it feels like really fine sandpaper. It takes some elbow grease even with the nanoskin clay towel and clay lube. I tried some fine to medium clay initially and it didn't do much. The clay towel/mitts work better, imo, and are much quicker.

I have no experience with clearcoat failure so I can't speak to what that might look like or feel like.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broneida View Post
    The feeling is definitely noticeable. The parts of the paint without overspray that i haven't clayed are clean and a little grabby. The parts with overspray are slick, but not smooth if that makes sense. I just did a baggy test and it feels like really fine sandpaper. It takes some elbow grease even with the nanoskin clay towel and clay lube. I tried some fine to medium clay initially and it didn't do much. The clay towel/mitts work better, imo, and are much quicker.

I have no experience with clearcoat failure so I can't speak to what that might look like or feel like.
    I'll try and do the baggie test over it this weekend. Would be great if that's what it was, rather than pretty early clear coat failure.

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of doing my worst Captain Obvious impression, I'm going to throw this out there since it hasn't actually been said yet. Here goes...
    Before you can correct the problem, you have to correctly identify what it is. The approach to alleviating the issue will be very specific in terms of the products, tools, and method required. If it's over spray, the path to correction will be very different than the path you take if it's early stages of CC failure, and so on. You need to be sure what you're dealing with so you don't:
    A. Inflict harm unnecessarily.
    B. Waste time and product.

I'm with Mike on this one. I don't think it's CC failure. Here in AZ, the climate is ideal for premature CC failure and, unfortunately, the number of vehicles that come through my shop that are in the early stages is staggering - some less than 6-7 yrs. old, and include luxury models to trucks, suv's, all the way down to entry level model cars. The perfect storm of prolonged extreme heat, super dry climate, and owners neglecting to keep some kind, any kind of wax/sealant on their vehicles, makes for a lot of vehicles with failing/failed clear coat. On average, I have to deliver the bad news about a failing CC to a client, 3-4 times per week. What I'm getting at here, is, I see a lot of it and what I'm seeing in your pics doesn't look like CC failure.

If that's true, then you're looking at something that's ultimately completely correctable, and that's a good thing!
    If it's over spray, you don't need a baggie to know it. It will feel like 400 grit sandpaper to your bare hand. It will also be rather easily removed via clay/clay alternative.
    If it's not gritty, then it's probably staining/scaling/oxidation associated with paint that's never been properly cleaned and polished. You just might be looking at a very common situation that's about the easiest to correct out of all the things we come across in this business. That said, I'd start with a thorough claying, followed by an AIO using a foam pad and DA.

Keep us updated.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    At the risk of doing my worst Captain Obvious impression, I'm going to throw this out there since it hasn't actually been said yet. Here goes...
    Before you can correct the problem, you have to correctly identify what it is. The approach to alleviating the issue will be very specific in terms of the products, tools, and method required. If it's over spray, the path to correction will be very different than the path you take if it's early stages of CC failure, and so on. You need to be sure what you're dealing with so you don't:
    A. Inflict harm unnecessarily.
    B. Waste time and product.

I'm with Mike on this one. I don't think it's CC failure. Here in AZ, the climate is ideal for premature CC failure and, unfortunately, the number of vehicles that come through my shop that are in the early stages is staggering - some less than 6-7 yrs. old, and include luxury models to trucks, suv's, all the way down to entry level model cars. The perfect storm of prolonged extreme heat, super dry climate, and owners neglecting to keep some kind, any kind of wax/sealant on their vehicles, makes for a lot of vehicles with failing/failed clear coat. On average, I have to deliver the bad news about a failing CC to a client, 3-4 times per week. What I'm getting at here, is, I see a lot of it and what I'm seeing in your pics doesn't look like CC failure.

If that's true, then you're looking at something that's ultimately completely correctable, and that's a good thing!
    If it's over spray, you don't need a baggie to know it. It will feel like 400 grit sandpaper to your bare hand. It will also be rather easily removed via clay/clay alternative.
    If it's not gritty, then it's probably staining/scaling/oxidation associated with paint that's never been properly cleaned and polished. You just might be looking at a very common situation that's about the easiest to correct out of all the things we come across in this business. That said, I'd start with a thorough claying, followed by an AIO using a foam pad and DA.

Keep us updated.
    Just an update, I ran my hand across the damaged area and it felt smooth, so I don't think its overspray. Either way, I'm waiting on all my goodies to get here from Autogeek, and will hopefully tackle the car over winter break.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, sorry for the late update. So turns out the damage was just oxidation, not clear coat damage. The steps I outlined worked great! Car looked awesome (I say looked because its my daily and Berlina Black is so damn fragile, it's not as nice as it was ). Either way, thanks for all the tips! All my products were amazing except for the Optimum Clay Towel. I wasn't super impressed with the quality of it, so I might try and get the more expensive one form another company whose name is escaping me right now. Still got the job done though. Below are some pictures of before and after, as it appears my previous pictures have disapeared.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to fix the issue.

The half life of a basecoat/clearcoat paint system is about 5 years. You are almost at the 3 times that. Normally paint start to fail around the 10 year mark. So I would suggest you put some serious protection on the paint, in the form of a nano-ceramic coating.

Otherwise, make sure that there is always a fresh layer of paint sealant on the car. Normally sealants are a twice a year product, I would upgrade that to 4 times a year for your car. Once per season.

And if the car can be garaged when it's not in use, that is the best form of protection you can use as a supplement to what ever product you decide on putting on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Glad you were able to fix the issue.

The half life of a basecoat/clearcoat paint system is about 5 years. You are almost at the 3 times that. Normally paint start to fail around the 10 year mark. So I would suggest you put some serious protection on the paint, in the form of a nano-ceramic coating.

Otherwise, make sure that there is always a fresh layer of paint sealant on the car. Normally sealants are a twice a year product, I would upgrade that to 4 times a year for your car. Once per season.

And if the car can be garaged when it's not in use, that is the best form of protection you can use as a supplement to what ever product you decide on putting on the paint.

First time I have heard that, can you please point me where that is based from? Is that life determined for a completely neglected car? Arent there different clear coat and some known to be unacceptable (Honda)? Even on most cars that are never protected with LSPs, I've only seen failures in tropical environments. I do know Dodge/Plymouth and Hondas of certain eras cant keep thier paint on lol.

OP car looks amazing! Glad it was just oxidation!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    First time I have heard that, can you please point me where that is based from? Is that life determined for a completely neglected car? Arent there different clear coat and some known to be unacceptable (Honda)? Even on most cars that are never protected with LSPs, I've only seen failures in tropical environments. I do know Dodge/Plymouth and Hondas of certain eras cant keep thier paint on lol.

Thanks! Even if the above info isn't correct, I do plan on waxing with the Optimum spray on wax every 2 or 3 washes because its soooo easy. I should also be able to stop daily driving the car in the next couple weeks, so it will live happily in the garage except for nice days and track days!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post

It's something I learned while studying for detailing. I could not telll you what book it's from... sorry. As for specific paints and all that... it is always dependant on about 20 different factors. Exposition to the elements is the most important one, if your car sits in the sun everyday and you are in a climate like Arizona or Hawaii... the paint is not gonna last long. The other important aspect is how you protect your paint. If you never ever wax the car, you are definatelly reducing the life of the paint.

As for paint qualities... Honda has had a pretty bad track record for their paint. They are one of the only car manufacturers who had to have recalls for the poor paint quality. I can't remember which years it was but the paint would crack on it's own all over the car forming what looked like bird feets.

As for Dodge. As the owner of a dodge Caravan, I can tell you this is also true. But I think in the case of Dodge, it's less a problem with the paint quality and more a problem with bad design. Water can get in places where it will sit and make the panels rust. I purchased my van used and had the rocker panels replaced and the bottom of the van repainted as well as the hood and the hatch. 2 Years later I will have to re-do all of that. I might just replace it, there are other issues with the van such as electric problems to accessories and I don't think it's worth putting the money in to fix it, especially if I have to re-paint it every 2 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12