autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Clear Coat not so clear?

Hello Mike,
    I'm trying to do a couple scratch repairs on my trucks fender, unfortunately they were deep to the primer.
    I did a wet sand (1500, 2000 grit) to remove what I could and prepare the deep scratches for some base coat.
    I purchased the base coat and clear coat from Automotivetouchup.

I applied the base coat per instructions, waited 40 minutes and then applied the clear coat (5 coats per instructions) and let it dry over night.
    The temperature when applying both the base coat and clear coat was between 72 - 75 however, it dropped down to the high 50s overnight.

The clear coat did not go on glossy, but had a matted look from the first coat to the last coat. I thought maybe this is how it is, and I would need to buff it out in the morning.
    In the afternoon I decided to work on the truck and used a 2000 grit to do a light sand, and then proceeded to use a polishing compound, and then WSR.

The problem is it got glossy, but when I applied my light to the panel I could see where the new clear coat ended and the OEM clear started. It had a grayish look to the new clear coat although glossy. I tried using 1500 grit and was able to remove some of the new clear coat, but it seems like it I shouldn't have to do that.
    Keep in mind my truck is black, so it shows pretty easily. Are there different shades of clear coat? Is it supposed to have a matted look when applied? Do I need to wait longer for it to cure? The temp today was in the high 60's, not sure if that had something to do with it.

At this rate I would need to remove all the new clear coat, which doesn't make sense to me??

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you for any advice!

New CC and OEM CC CC Matted look.
    Why is Clear Coat not so clear?-panel-1a-jpgWhy is Clear Coat not so clear?-panel-2a-jpg
    Keeping the Shiny side up and Shinning, and the Rubber side down and Sticky!
    Aloha!
    Woody

Mike Phillips

Re: Why is Clear Coat not so clear?

Quote Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post

At this rate I would need to remove all the new clear coat, which doesn't make sense to me??

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you for any advice!

I apologize but the answers to your questions are out of my knowledge base. I've never tried to do a repair using automotive basecoat/clearcoat from spray cans.

I know it can be done I just have not done it.

I'd check with Automotivetouchup and share your pictures with them to see what they recommend.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Clear Coat not so clear?

Ok, will do.

Thank you for the honest feedback.
    Keeping the Shiny side up and Shinning, and the Rubber side down and Sticky!
    Aloha!
    Woody