autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a While Since Detailing... Buying New Products. Which ones to get?

Mr. Phillips:

As always, it is a pleasure. In fact, you first helped me out long, long ago "using the least aggressive product," "wash, clay, clean, polish, protect," and "two bucket method" etc. I have learned a TON from you over the years. In fact, the first time you helped was before you worked for Autogeek... back when I used to rock #83 and #80 on an oversized 7" soft buff 2.0 pad on the G110v2.

Since then, I upgraded to #105 and #205, but those are running low, so I am trying new products and am interested in Menzurna at the moment. I am currently still using the G110v2, which as you know is an entry-level 8mm throw free-spin DACP PC clone. I am using it predominantly with the flat LC pads namely the 5.5" white ones though I bought about 18 of them in all different colors.

Okay, so I bought Menzurna SF 4500 a couple years ago as my first Non-Meguiars polish because it's a top-tier product, and nothing more forgiving than their least aggressive finishing-polish.

Forgot all about it then decided to try it this weekend, and I really like it! The to

Now, I want to complete the series and want to ask which two to buy?

Here is the chart (Source Menzerna, Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, Menzerna FMJ, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish,):

For all intents and purposes my SF4500 == SF3800 now. They both are a 10 glos, 2 cut, the same color, and remove up to 3000 grit size.

My desire:

One product from their Pre-Polish category (the big gun), and one product from their Polishing category = I want to buy two products having already satisfied the "Finishing" category of the chart.

For example, it probably wouldn't make sense to get MC 2500 "polishing" because it removes grit size 2500; since, the one in the next category "pre-polish" would have to jump at least 1000 in grit size if I got PG 1000, which removes 1500.

That said, the cut is only 2 with my current SF4500. it doesn't makes sense to go to MC2400, which is a cut of 7 because 2 to 7 is a HUGE jump in cut especially when the pre-polish category above has PG1000 with a cut of 8. What are you thoughts on PO 91E? For some reason not a lot of folks are buying it, and the others in the same category got better reviews...

If my pre-polish will have a cut power of 8 or 10, and my final is a 2 for my finishing, then realistically I want a 5. It would seem to me that PO 91E is a good middle at a cut of 5 and a grit size removal of 2000 vs 3000 and 1200. it's more or less in the middle of that as well.

What do you recommend?

Next for the pre-polish, I know I don't want PG 1000 because it is just too close to MC2400. Would you recommend the FG 400 or the SHC 300? I think the FG 400 has been around forever and therefore may be the better choice, but a cut of 8 doesn't seem like very much.

For example, I use Meguiar's #105 all the time, and it has a cut of 12 though it may not be on the same scale.

Would you recommend FG 400 or SHC 300?

Thank you sir!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Been a While Since Detailing... Buying New Products. Which ones to get?

I can't speak for Mr. Phillips, but I really like the Menzerna range.

I keep forgetting that I get better results using less product, which saves time and money.

I also was previously a Meguiar's user (still am) before getting into Menzerna.

Initially I started with SF4000, and FG400, and later added PF2500 back in 2015.

Since then I've used PF2500 more than either the 4000 or 400.

What I like about 2500 is that it allows me to offer a compromise between a two step, show car finish, and a cleaner wax. The cut is enough to clear away moderate damage on most paints, and leaves an excellent finish like a polish should.

Between these three products, and a small selection of pads, I can get a lot of high quality work done with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would switch to Jescar if you liked Menzerna you will love the simplicity of the Jescar line. They are a result of Menzerna changing the names of the favorites a million times.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the HC400. The SHC300 is if you have extreme heavy defects. So if you have a very neglected paint the SHC300 will be an option. If you have paint that has the useally defects when needed to step up from a polish to a compound the HC400 will work great. And your sf4500 will finish awesome when you go from the HC400. In most cases a finishing polish is not even needed after the HC400. But for the enthusiasts and wanting the highest possible gloss a follow up with SF3500 or SF3800 would get you there.

The difference between the MC2500 and MC2400. Is that MC2400 is more liquid and suits SS paints and dry and oxidized clearcoats better. While MC2500 is the for the standard clearcoat and ceramic clearcoat paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so how is this combination?

FG400, MC 2500, SF 4500

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbirk View Post
    Okay, so how is this combination?

FG400, MC 2500, SF 4500
    I like that. That’s a good combo. My only issue is that sometimes 4500 will not clean up FG400 100%. (But that’s usually with a heavy compounding step with a rotary) I would be willing to guess with your tools and process that the 4500 will work just fine. I would suggest 4000(now 3500 I believe) if u didn’t already have 4500.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I like that. That’s a good combo. My only issue is that sometimes 4500 will not clean up FG400 100%. (But that’s usually with a heavy compounding step with a rotary) I would be willing to guess with your tools and process that the 4500 will work just fine. I would suggest 4000(now 3500 I believe) if u didn’t already have 4500.
    Yeah the plan is to slap a foam polishing pad on a 5" backing plate then slap some SF 4500 on it and see if it cleans up 100%. It would likely leave deeper swirls. If that fails, wipe the pad off and try MC 2500. If it still doesn't fully correct step up to FG 400... I figure no harm in putting a more aggressive product on the pad; since, left over finer polishes aren't going to cause any issues with hazing. If no dice I would try a cutting pad with more bite.

At any rate, using the least aggressive, I would step down through each step. At each step down I would put on a fresh pad. Of course, maybe if I am stepping up I would be better to change the pads and just keep track of which one is which if I am using 3 pads for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with dr Oldz that is a great combo to go with. And if you don't use the most coarse cutting pad with the HC400. The 4500 will clean any micro marring up with a light cut polishing pad.

Mike Phillips

Sorry for the late reply, been a tick busy. Now days, when I leave the state for a roadshow class or any other event, I share that I'll be offline, at least not at my normal office desk. While I'll be posting, it will be very specific to the event I'm at.

See here,

Offline for a few days - Atlanta, Georgia Roadshow Class!

Mr. Phillips:

As always, it is a pleasure. In fact, you first helped me out long, long ago "using the least aggressive product," "wash, clay, clean, polish, protect," and "two bucket method" etc.

I have learned a TON from you over the years.

In fact, the first time you helped was before you worked for Autogeek... back when I used to rock #83 and #80 on an oversized 7" soft buff 2.0 pad on the G110v2.

I am 100% sure I will never remember how many people I've answered questions for via the blogosphere but it's been a lot. I appreciate you trusting me for help and accurate information over the years/decades...

Since then, I upgraded to #105 and #205, but those are running low, so I am trying new products and am interested in Menzurna at the moment. I am currently still using the G110v2, which as you know is an entry-level 8mm throw free-spin DACP PC clone.

I am using it predominantly with the flat LC pads namely the 5.5" white ones
    though I bought about 18 of them in all different colors.
    The Lake Country ThinPro pads are a great pad to leverage all the power out of any entry level 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

What do you recommend?

Would you recommend FG 400 or SHC 300?

Thank you sir![/B]

Well first, you received a lot of great help from our other forum members while I was in Atlanta.

Second, I'd recommend the FG 400 if you want to stick with Menzerna. In my opinion, if FG 400 and a good clean, DRY foam cutting pad on any free spinning orbital polisher in which you can maintain pad rotation, if after 8 solid section passes this comb does NOT remove the defects you're trying to remove then in most cases you should stop and learn to live with them.

Why?

Because clearcoats are thin and if the car is a "Daily Driver" then you don't really need a 100% flawless show car finish. See my article here,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips