autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'

I have a Porter Cable DA and most of the heavy cut compounds say to use a high speed buffer. What compound/polish and pad should I use on these scratches with a DA?

I just finished my motorhome and used the LC orange pad with Klasse AIO on it and it did a great job of removing the fine scratches and swirls but my Jeep is pretty rough. No oxidation, just scratches.

I was only able to upload the one photo...the others failed with an error.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'-img_5731-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'

Because this is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I reversed the info in your post...

Quote Originally Posted by tankcj View Post

but my Jeep is pretty rough. No oxidation, just scratches.

Will it likely get more scratches in the future?

As in, are you going to wheel her again?

I have a Porter Cable DA and most of the heavy cut compounds say to use a high speed buffer.

What compound/polish and pad should I use on these scratches with a DA?

Assuming this Jeep has the FACTORY clearcoat on it, then if it were me and I was going to take my Jeep off-roading more into the future - I would NOT try to remove all of the scratches but instead, just polish and then wax the paint.

Whatever comes out - comes out.

Whatever does not come out (after polishing), is called bragging rights. Live with it and even show everyone your Jeep is more than a pavement pounder.

Why?

Because the factory clear layer of paint is thinner than a post-it note. If you compound the paint once or twice that's okay. But if you're going to continue getting more trail pin stripes, then might as well learn to live with them and instead of always trying to remove them.... just improve them...

Make sense?

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

I have a Porter Cable DA and most of the heavy cut compounds say to use a high speed buffer. What compound/polish and pad should I use on these scratches with a DA?

I just finished my motorhome and used the LC orange pad with Klasse AIO on it and it did a great job of removing the fine scratches and swirls but my Jeep is pretty rough. No oxidation, just scratches.

Instead of compounding, polishing and then waxing your Jeep, here's a great alternative and the product offers great cut.

BLACKFIRE One Step

See all the before and after pictures here...

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

I like a good one-step AIO for trucks and Jeeps. Even SUVs.

Post Thanks / Like

If you still want to remove the scratches try Meguires D300 compound with Meguires microfiber cutting pads and follow up with a good polish and foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all....welcome to Autogeek.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Some VERY good questions here. Very important to know if you will take her wheeling again.

Assuming this Jeep has the FACTORY clearcoat on it, then if it were me and I was going to take my Jeep off-roading more into the future - I would NOT try to remove all of the scratches but instead, just polish and then wax the paint.

Mike speaks wisely. I would listen to him. Myself, I would not do much with yours, judging by the one pic you showed. On my own '96 Jeep, I'm just going to clean her up a bit to remove oxidation, slap on some lipstick on the pig (yes, Mike, yes) by way of a glaze, and then seal her up. I know my Jeep is in rough shape, and she'll only get worse over time!

Anyway....here's something to show you what *can* be done, but also keeping in mind that this particular job was overkill.

The owner is a friend of mine. He took out the 4Runner several times, but on one specific trip, he didn't know the trails were mostly for ATVs, side-by-sides, etc. As such, the worst pin striping most have ever seen. After I worked some magic on it, it looked great. It STILL looks better than it did when I took the job. He's since taken the 4Runner on several other off road trips. Got dings. Got chips. Got more pinstripes. Nothing near as bad. One good thing, though, is that it still maintains it's gloss. Before I took her in, the paint looked rough and ull.

*WARNING* - The following contain graphic images that may be ...... yeah.

A nice little 50/50 to show before and after. Notice, I didn't chase the deeper scratches all the way.

7. Likes PaulMys, Jim w liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Because this is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I reversed the info in your post...

Whatever does not come out (after polishing), is called bragging rights. Live with it and even show everyone your Jeep is more than a pavement pounder.

Why?

Because the factory clear layer of paint is thinner than a post-it note. If you compound the paint once or twice that's okay. But if you're going to continue getting more trail pin stripes, then might as well learn to live with them and instead of always trying to remove them.... just improve them...

Make sense?

Thanks Mike! Yes, I will be wheelin' again but not as much in the brush. It's primarily used for offroad (not a daily driver) but I'd like to keep the body and paint in decent shape. My skids, beadlocks and rock rails take the brunt of my mistakes and I'd like to keep it that way... . I like your suggestion to use the Blackfire one step since I'm a big fan of the AIOs...ok I'm lazy. I think I'll give that a try first and see how the results come out.

Damn Jesus! that 4Runner turned out great! I'd be tickled if my Jeep looked that good when I got done!

Thanks everyone for the info! I have some reading to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, Blackfire one step did a heck of a job removing most of the damage and brought out some serious gloss

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Before I took her in, the paint looked rough and ull.

A nice little 50/50 to show before and after. Notice, I didn't chase the deeper scratches all the way.

Damn!

Now that's what I would call a nice save!

Post Thanks / Like

Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    First of all....welcome to Autogeek.

Some VERY good questions here. Very important to know if you will take her wheeling again.

Mike speaks wisely. I would listen to him. Myself, I would not do much with yours, judging by the one pic you showed. On my own '96 Jeep, I'm just going to clean her up a bit to remove oxidation, slap on some lipstick on the pig (yes, Mike, yes) by way of a glaze, and then seal her up. I know my Jeep is in rough shape, and she'll only get worse over time!

Anyway....here's something to show you what *can* be done, but also keeping in mind that this particular job was overkill.

The owner is a friend of mine. He took out the 4Runner several times, but on one specific trip, he didn't know the trails were mostly for ATVs, side-by-sides, etc. As such, the worst pin striping most have ever seen. After I worked some magic on it, it looked great. It STILL looks better than it did when I took the job. He's since taken the 4Runner on several other off road trips. Got dings. Got chips. Got more pinstripes. Nothing near as bad. One good thing, though, is that it still maintains it's gloss. Before I took her in, the paint looked rough and ull.

*WARNING* - The following contain graphic images that may be ...... yeah.

HowdyRemoving heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping' Just curious, did you post pictures of this polishing on MOL maybe a couple years ago maybe more? If so I remember... If it was you may recall inspiring me to go out and polish my folks midnight blue Chevy Trailblazer, which was only the 2nd vehicle I’d ever used my polisher on. Many many vehicles later, here I am still having a good time and keeping rides looking good.Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'

Either ways great job.Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'Removing heavy scratches AKA 'desert pinstriping'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast