autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Confused about ceramic coating "high spots"

I've watched a ton of video's about ceramic coatings over the last few months trying to screw up my courage to try one and almost every one talks about watching out for high spots. But in almost every video, including the one from AutoGeek showcasing the Gyeon Syncro, the product is completely wiped away once it flashes, minus of course the product that bonded. So the question is, how can there be high spots?

PS- Thanks for the 25% off sale that pushed me over the edge to buy my Geon Syncro.

2. Likes Dereksdtail liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Confused about ceramic coating "high spots"

Quote Originally Posted by redzone1 View Post

I've watched a ton of video's about ceramic coatings over the last few months trying to screw up my courage to try one and almost every one talks about watching out for high spots. But in almost every video, including the one from AutoGeek showcasing the Gyeon Syncro, the product is completely wiped away once it flashes, minus of course the product that bonded.

So the question is, how can there be high spots?

The reason there CAN be high spots is because you miss wiping 100% of the coating off the paint.

It's easy to inspect the hood or trunk lid of a car, the problem is when you move to vertical panels. Most enthusiasts have a light or two on the ceiling of their garage but no wall lights, thus they cannot ACCURATLY inspect the vertical panels.

Your in luck! I know a guy who recently wrote an article to do his best to help others make a huge mistake - that is high spots that have fully dried. Check it out here,

Read.... don't just scan....

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

4. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redzone1 View Post
    I've watched a ton of video's about ceramic coatings over the last few months trying to screw up my courage to try one and almost every one talks about watching out for high spots. But in almost every video, including the one from AutoGeek showcasing the Gyeon Syncro, the product is completely wiped away once it flashes, minus of course the product that bonded. So the question is, how can there be high spots?
    GYEON has some excellent carrier solvents. The new Cquartz UK 3.0 does too. Many others are more problematic however. Those are my top two sold coatings and Syncro stands as my favorite.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I have changed my technique with coating and SO FAR, SO GOOD! Even with plenty of light, make sure you take your time and be real careful of wiping off the product. I actually use 3 MF towels now. 1 is to apply the coating. Then one towel to remoe the coating and the 3rd is to make sure you covered the 2nd wipe.

Gyeon has great coating products. Gtech is another one from what I hear, however, never used their products. Soon I will.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I have changed my technique with coating and SO FAR, SO GOOD! Even with plenty of light, make sure you take your time and be real careful of wiping off the product. I actually use 3 MF towels now. 1 is to apply the coating. Then one towel to remoe the coating and the 3rd is to make sure you covered the 2nd wipe.

Gyeon has great coating products. Gtech is another one from what I hear, however, never used their products. Soon I will.
    Have you tried the damp towel method? A high spot also can come if you accidentally overlap and don't completely wipe off the excess coating when installing but it's all based on whatever coating you're using.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    Have you tried the damp towel method? A high spot also can come if you accidentally overlap and don't completely wipe off the excess coating when installing but it's all based on whatever coating you're using.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I use the 3 towel method w/ CQUK 3.0:
    Applicator to apply
    CarPro MF Sued to remove
    High GSM MF to wipe
    another towel to wipe

On a full coating I'll go through about 10 towels each... (30 in total), into the bucket of snappy clean.

In addition to Mike's article, another reason for high-spots is not enough towels, and they are bogged down with spent product. I don't use a wet towel as CarPro does not recommend getting the product wet for 24 hours.

On my own POV's, I have high spots... I'll admit it... I'm not worried about it, a little 205 and an orange pad will make short work of them... On customers cars, we are meticulous, and I even have Interior Gal go behind me again with yet a 4th towel. Having a second person standing back and double checking your work is invaluable.

I also use the same technique above for applying reload. Except with reload I use one of those 4" Aqua Blue applicator MF sponges, and three towels.

Be prepared to go through a lot of towels, stand back a few feet and inspect your work... And if you end up with one on YOUR car, no worries it will polish off. If it's a customer car, measure twice - cut once.

Hope this helps.

10. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently applied Syncro to my car. It’s a breeze to apply and wipe off. However, I did leave a high spot on the hood (and already repaired that). I wiped away a section and pushed some coating over to the other section and failed to wipe that on the second pass. Under bright lights or sun light you couldn’t see the spot. Cloudy day made it pretty obvious.

My advice to you is always wipe a considerably larger area on the second pass, that way you guarantee you pick up anything the first towel spread outside the area you were working on.

Syncro is easy to work with, just takes time due to the multiple layers required. The first time you wash the car after that will make it all worth it.
    Bruno Soares

12. Likes Kamakaz1961, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The reason there CAN be high spots is because you miss wiping 100% of the coating off the paint.

It's easy to inspect the hood or trunk lid of a car, the problem is when you move to vertical panels. Most enthusiasts have a light or two on the ceiling of their garage but no wall lights, thus they cannot ACCURATLY inspect the vertical panels.

Your in luck! I know a guy who recently wrote an article to do his best to help others make a huge mistake - that is high spots that have fully dried. Check it out here,

Read.... don't just scan....

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

This makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot for the answer and even more for the link.