autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Undercarriage protection question

I would like to take my pristine 2006 Z06 to the National Corvette Museum next week for their Veterans event on Thursday.

However it looks like I may have to drive in at least some rain and wet roads earlier in the week.

Is there something I can apply to the underside to help keep it clean (or easier to clean when I get home)?

WD-40?

I'm trying to keep the road film from permanently attaching to the otherwise still new looking underside.

The car has never been driven on wet roads before and I show it quite often because it's so clean.

Undercarriage protection question-imag0566-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Undercarriage protection question-070-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Undercarriage protection question

I have no good suggestions cause my opinion is that its a car not a picture, DRIVE EM. If it needs to be perfect forever then I personally would just take a pic of it and blow it up then attach it to my garage wall so it looks like I have a beautiful Corvette in my possession. If I want a real car that runs and drives thats what I would do with it. Hope you find something that will work for you though!!!!! Enjoy your car, it is beautiful
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you put on there to “protect it“ will need to be washed off anyhow so personally I will just plan on putting it up on ramps and cleaning it thoroughly after I get home

Anything else will just make a mess that requires cleaning anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I have no good suggestions cause my opinion is that its a car not a picture, DRIVE EM. If it needs to be perfect forever then I personally would just take a pic of it and blow it up then attach it to my garage wall so it looks like I have a beautiful Corvette in my possession. If I want a real car that runs and drives thats what I would do with it. Hope you find something that will work for you though!!!!! Enjoy your car, it is beautiful
    I DO drive it! (It has 22k miles now.) But it's not my only vehicle so I have only driven it in nice weather up until now.

5. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. But it's the thin white road film that I'm concerned about. It usually only comes of with physical agitation. That's hard to do in every nook and cranny underneath.

Something like a release agent that could be removed with a degreaser or pressure washer.

If I could figure this out I could rich...

Post Thanks / Like

Look into Fluid Film
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes UncleDavy, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's this: Griot's Garage Undercarriage Spray, Griots Garage Undercarriage Detailer, Underbody spray

There is another product called Bare Bones, I think, I can't remember if that is Chemical Guys or Adam's.

I have a car I wish I had never driven on wet roads, so I feel you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've looked at both of these products. I'm not sure if they will do what I'm looking for. They seem to make the underside look nice after a cleaning or to prevent rust. I'm just trying to keep the road film at bay especially in hard to reach places.

Post Thanks / Like

Undercarriage protection question

Nice car. Unlike the earlier reply, I’m on the side that totally understands wanting to keep a car such as this [or whatever floats your boat] in like new original condition for as long as possible. There’s nothing like an original survivor especially as the years go by and things become more and more rare. If I had a mint 1960 Coupe Deville, I sure as heck wouldn’t be driving it on the weekdays for no good reason either...

As far as protection, I’m surprised nobody’s said Hydro Blue. I’ve never tried it, but people here always talk about how much they love it because it supposedly makes their wheels easier to clean. So how bout it guys? Would Hydro Blue work for his situation?

12. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like my choices are limited by time. We leave Monday morning. If I take the car and want to do something about the underside, it has to happen tomorrow (Sunday ).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast