autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Boat decals

Post Thanks / Like

Boat decals

What is best to put on boat decals to keep them from damage from the sun? Thanks, David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat decals

We always hear to stay away from waxes, as they will cause your decals to dry out and crack. On my RV I use Aerospace 303, a great UV inhibitor. Not sure how it will hold up on a boat that is subject to water all the time. Trick with 303 is that less is better, if you are too generous with it it seems to leave some streaking behind.

3. Thanks CJDAVID thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CJDAVID View Post

What is best to put on boat decals to keep them from damage from the sun?

Thanks, David

I'd go with Optimum Polymer Technologies Car Wax. I recently wrote this article and it will explain why I make this recommendation.

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Yesterday I shared a Meme a FB buddy made and sent to me. This is from a picture I posted while filming with Dennis Gage. If you look where I'm pointing, it's to the "Patented UV Protection" graphic on the front label. We filmed a 60 second segment for this product. Here's the script - see if you can read it in 58 seconds.

This is the hidden jewel of the car wax industry – Optimum Car Wax.

First the owner and head chemist for Optimum Polymer Technologies, Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD organic chemist. He is also one of the chemist that helped to create modern clearcoat paint technology. His credentials speak for themselves. If he can make the paint – he can make the wax that protects the paint.

Optimum Car Wax uses a blend of high-grade Carnauba wax and synthetic polymers to create a high gloss shine.

MORE IMPORTANT - Optimum Spray Wax is the only spray wax that uses PATENTED UV protection ingredients which are the same ingredients used in clearcoat paint.

In fact, with repeated use these UV protection ingredients migrate into your car’s clearcoat for even longer lasting protection.

And it’s so simple to use – simply spray it on - then spread it around and wipe it off.

You get the maximum protection, gloss and shine with minimum work.

For more information, visit Autogeek.com

Here's a picture from the My Classic Car studio after my friend added the text to make the Meme

Optimum Car Wax Meme

Here's what I'm pointing to...

NOTE: This product is not specifically made for boats and the harsh environment boats are exposed to so who knows how well it will work or last on the surface. I'm just sharing it's the only product I know that is patented or "proven" to provide real UV protection.

I do know that Optimum Polymer Technologies also recently introduced a ceramic coating for gel-coat. Dr. G told me about it when I was in Memphis teaching our Roadshow Class just a few weeks ago.

The Dr. is the real deal.

5. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's another product that SONAX says you can use on vinyl graphics....

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

SONAX Polymer Net Shield

Get them both here,

SONAX Polymer Net Shield 75 ml. - $9.99

SONAX Polymer Net Shield 340 ml. $29.99

SONAX Polymer Net Shield = good stuff....

It wouldn't cost much to test out the small bottle. I'd suggest reading my article...

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

There's a reason I take the time to make all the titles to everything I write a clickable link and SHARE it all over the forum when answering questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the quick reply Mike. I hope to get to the shop in January.