autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: My Classic Car - Behind the scenes!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Very cool Mike, thank you for sharing.
    No problemo - it's fun to do these types of projects and then share them so the outside world gets to see the types of projects Autogeek is involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

I did think I was gonna see you on Chasing Classic Cars one time - there was a Hudson on there that I'm pretty sure was the one you polished out that was all original & super thin paintwork.

The first time I met and worked with Wayne Carini, he had just had a 1953 Hudson Hornet delivered to his F40.com shop. This car had the original paint and it was oxidized and super thin. Again, this was the first time I had worked with Wayne Carini and he didn't know me from the next Joe Shmo on the street.

I told him I'm the only guy that has an article on the correct way to restore original, antique single stage paint and offered to send him the link to my article if he was interested. I sent him the link and the next day, (after working the day before with Wayne and demonstrating on the paint on the Hudson and also a Ferrari), he offered to pay to change my airline flight and hotel if I would stay an extra day and rub out the paint on the Hudson and also teach his guys, Marius and Brandon what I call,

The art of polishing paint

Here's the link to the write-up I did for the Hudson Hornet.

Wayne Carini 1953 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

And here's my two favorite pictures from this project.

This first picture, Wayne is watching me like a HAWKE

This second picture, after some apprehension about letting take over on a car he's chased for (at that time), 46 years, this picture tells the whole story....

And here's the pictures I took to show just how THIN the original paint was/is on this all original car....

It's hard to see in this picture here but where the yellow outline box is there's a thin spot showing black primer.

Here's the same spot from a picture I took with my iphone...

Close up cropped out of the original...

The above is what I coined the term Whisper Thin as in the paint is super thin, even non-existent. Here's my article on this term.

Whisper Thin Paint on Classic Cars by Mike Phillips - Be Careful!

Sorry to say, that the pictures in the above thread are still missing ever since the company moved the forum to a new/different server. I've been assured the problem is being worked on but so far.... looks like it's still a problem.

2. Thanks Diner, Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: My Classic Car - Behind the scenes!

Just so I can find it easier....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12