autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting the plastic trim for the long term

Carpro has just released precut coating applicator in different sizes and shapes. That you can wrap the little suede applicator towel around instead of around your fingers with nitrile gloves on. Think AG will carry it soon

2. Thanks Rsurfer, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Carpro has just released precut coating applicator in different sizes and shapes. That you can wrap the little suede applicator towel around instead of around your fingers with nitrile gloves on. Think AG will carry it soon
    haha. I just came here to post how I've cut my own from their applicators and some others. Just grab a new blade and make your own. I have a draw full of various ones I've made.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    Mike,
    I finally found the 8-September video of you talking about plastic trim at the 'Cars & Coffee'. You mentioned that using similar products to the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is good PM (preventive maintenance) and you had proof on your wife's Honda. My F150 has a ton of exterior plastic and of course trying to treat it in the wash cycle is a bit too much time. How often if I use the Wolfgang product, I think others call it 'WETS', would be a good plan?

Second question for this topic is the use of the new coatings, can they be used over an application of WETS? AG carries many of the products and claims are made to be less maintenance over the longer period. Are you using both in your classes? Would the prep time of the coatings be worth it for so much plastic on today's pickups?

And of course, any of the forum members please chime in!

A.K.A. Kirby
    WETS is a nice trim protectant. It does last for a few months. Use it every so often and the trim will look good. It won't darken as much as McKee's Trim Restorer but it as I mentioned using it often will net you good results.

McKee's has a nice offering as well. Durability between the two is close. It is designed to penetrate deep into the plastic to restore the trim as well. Same concept that using it often will net you good results.

If the trim needs to be restored then Solution Finish is still hard to beat. Works well topped with something like WETS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Solution Finish topped with Dlux for long term protection.
    Tried this and it was Meh at best. I did not really see that much of an added benefit doing so. Also it is a pain to remove DLUX if the trim needs restoring again. I would probably stick with DLUX as a stand alone on new trim and stick with Solution Finish for restored trim topped with something like WETS.

I have not tried the Gyeon but used DLUX on my wheels this past July. I know the TRIM is about $10-more but not sure what is different. Now with IGL on AG we have many options and not enough time for comparison.

Question, for irregular trim what or how to apply? I am thinking of the cowl around the hood and windshield and is a pain to coat with most products.
    Both DLUX and Trim are very similar. It would not surprise me if they were the same product with a slight formulation tweak. Trim is not as grabby as DLUX. Trim also does not seem to darken as much as DLUX. Both last about the same amount of time. Trim is easier to use between the two.

To apply to those harder areas you can use one of those foam brushes or just use the suede by itself without the block. The foam brush seemed to work well but used a little more product.

6. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for sounding off with your experiences. I most likely have paid a bit more and joined the WETS team over many other excellent choices. You have given me confidence on the frequency of application and methods to apply whatever product we buy from AG. But I learned much from the comments and will try to keep them in my arsenal of shared knowledge. I will try Gyeon TRIM on the lower trim as the truck is still new and trim looks fine ‘now’.

Thanks for keeping this topic interesting and real,

Kirby

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did my 4-year old car and wanted to share the results of using WETS or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Here is the photo of engine area.

Protecting the plastic trim for the long term-f19b784f-ec59-4b99-9e2a-4dc612cd4a63-jpg

Worked great but cleaning the applicator not so easy, used foam brush as suggested and threw it away. Product is not water based.

10. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Diner, SWETM, MattPersman, Eldorado2k, AKT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DLUX is my go to for all plastics and wheels. Coach Steve, (who lives down the road) was surprised at how well DLUX stood up on the trim of my Honda Fit, a car that sits outside 24x7 / 365 in AZ.

12. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did my 4-year old car and wanted to share the results of using WETS or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. Here is the photo of engine area.

Protecting the plastic trim for the long term-f19b784f-ec59-4b99-9e2a-4dc612cd4a63-jpg

Worked great but cleaning the applicator not so easy, used foam brush as suggested and threw it away. Product is not water based.
    Looks amazing bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

303 Trim Restorer is holding my very well. I put about 7 different products on my black wheel trim (aka wheel arches). 303 is doing the best by far. It can be a little finicky to apply and it's a little glossy. imo it goes on more like a coating than a dressing or sealant.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second the 303 Trim Restorer as a good product. I wipe off the excess with a MF and it leaves a more even, lower sheen than if you just allow it to dry. I will use the AA Trim restorer on wheel arches if I can get my hands in there. Mainly because its a bit cheaper and the AA bottle is bigger. It does a fine job for wheel arch liners and easy to apply. I'm always surprised when I see write ups and people apply a $60 a bottle of DLUX to wheel arch liners.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't wipe off the excess - that's on me. I treated it like a dressing which it definitely is not in term of application and curing. I will show uneven applicaiton and perhaps high spots. Wiping it down seems like a simple solution. I'll do the rest of the car using the wipe-off process. May try applying it over Solution Finish for the more faded parts.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12