autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: advancement in sealants and wax's for water spotting

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    I think you need an LSP that sheets water, i.e. is hydrophilic, where the water lays down and stick to the paint instead of beads. Nobody would buy this though because it would "look" like the protection wasn't working (because people judge protection by beading).

I'm one of the very few that doesn't care much about extreme water beading. What I really want from my LSP is protection against bird bombs, bugs, water spots, and resistance to grime....
    Completely with you on this. I would much rather have the water to sheet off then bead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    While your sentiment is noble and I completely understand what you're saying you're also on the losing side of the argument. Here's why,

Perception is reality

Remember the above. Memorize the above. Never forget the above. Perception is reality whether it is or not. That's how our world works.

The unwashed masses BELIEIVE water beading is a sign of 2 things,

1. Protection
    2. Durability

Any product that does NOT bead water well and for a long time will be labeled by the unwashed masses as an inferior product. Once the consensus is formed, (and it will form), it's game over for SALES of that product.

Educate the unwashed masses? -->

Won't happen. Never going to happen. Losing business model. The winning model as proven by all the experts in the car detailing world is to make your product bead water as good or better than Zaino.

Good point but your point doesn't matter. Perception is reality and once you have a person designated an "Influencer" their word become the word of god and all masses will march off the cliff with them.

You're wrong. Meguiar's tried and tried and tried to educate the masses but it was a waste of time, money and resources. Perception is reality and if your product doesn't bead water really well and for a long time then the masses will say it sucks.

I do believe it's possible a company could bring out a new "wax" or "synthetic sealant" or "ceramic paint coating" you know, the current three categories of product we use to protect our car paint and take on the difficult task of educating the masses on all the benefits of why a protection product that makes water lay flat is better than a product that makes water bead-up but it will be a monumental undertaking and every time they post a picture of their product on the horizontal surface of a car making water lay flat 1 MILLION Facebook detailers will post a picture of water beading up on their latest detail. And then they'll do it again.

Heck someone, somewhere is right now posting an AMAZING picture of water beading! And now someone just did it again... and again... and again... and so on and so on....

WE LOVE HOW WATER LOOKS WHEN IT BEADS UP ON OUR FRESHY DETAILED CAR

No body loves or even cars how water looks when it lays flat.

Meguiar's is a leader in integrity in this industry but they took their lumps and moved on. They tried and tried and tried and "we" the unwashed masses would not have anything to do with it.

Go up to any Facebook Group and start collecting all the pictures people post of water beading and then repeat these words to yourself.

Perception is reality

Sorry if you don't like what I wrote above but I've been there and done that and like mentioned before, lived it as a Veteran of the Zaino vs NXT Wax Wars.

Does this go all the way back when you where there Mike? I know people who have got a coating and think there is something wrong because the water is sheeting and not beading well.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used PNC and FL 1000TH as a combo? If so, which did you use as the base and which ax the topper ?

Tks, Greg

Post Thanks / Like

This was a great thread. Probably not the answer anyone is looking for the but the best solution for me after all these years is to just lightly buff out water spots with an AIO when there's enough of them to bother me. Water spot removers never seemed to cut it so now I don't waste my time. I get it's not ideal but it's really the easiest, most painless and cost effective solution for me. Apart from making sure I wash in the shade I really don't stress about water spots anymore.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

Does this go all the way back when you where there Mike?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post

This was a great thread.

Probably not the answer anyone is looking for the but the best solution for me after all these years is to just lightly buff out water spots with an AIO when there's enough of them to bother me.

Water spot removers never seemed to cut it so now I don't waste my time. I get it's not ideal but it's really the easiest, most painless and cost effective solution for me. Apart from making sure I wash in the shade I really don't stress about water spots anymore.
    I agree. To date, there is no easy answer.

I found water spots on my QX30 last week while writing a review for a new product. After washing the car the IMPRINTS from the spots were IN the paint. So a light machine polish and luckily they were removed.

6. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yes.

I found water spots on my QX30 last week while writing a review for a new product. After washing the car the IMPRINTS from the spots were IN the paint. So a light machine polish and luckily they were removed.

Over the weekend I touched up some rock chips on the hood of my wife's 2014 black MDX. This morning, I went by her work and picked the car up to work the hood and clean the car. I had not polished the hood since summer of 2018 so it actually took me a little longer than expected due to numerous imperfections, mostly water spots but some scratches as well. To make a long story short, I used M205 with orange pad - one complete set of 8 passes, noticed some micro marring so I switched to the white pad with two sets of 8 passes. Still noticed some micro marring but so few that no one but me would notice. Switched to UP and white pad with 1 set of 8 passes. I was content with results.

Washed and detailed the car since it was very cloudy and overcast...a perfect day for this, but did not apply a topcoat yet. Went inside to use to get something to drink, was a little hungry so fixed my self a sandwich. 3 minutes turned to 20 minutes. Noticed the sun had come out so figured I needed to go put a coat of wax on the hood. My choice of wax at this time would be NXT...quick and simple. What did I find?? It was a sauna outside with humidity that felt like 200%...and three water spots that were baked in to the hood...in less than 20 or so minutes...and the hood I just completed but the top coat. I tried my 50/50 water/vinegar, solution but did not do anything to it. Had to take some 205 to work the spots out. I have to ask what the heck our rain consists of? Point to this commentary is when will someone invent something that prevents water spots, or at least cleans them up with ease?

8. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me awhile to just accept the fact that I'm never going to remove all the water spots on our cars. They're daily drivers and one sits outside year-round.

I've resigned myself to have them looking perfect from 5 feet away.

10. Likes robwoodgto, DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post

It took me awhile to just accept the fact that I'm never going to remove all the water spots on our cars.

They're daily drivers and one sits outside year-round.

I've resigned myself to have them looking perfect from 5 feet away.

Tough keep a show car finish on a daily driver that sits outside 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

My guess is your cars still look better than 99.9% of the cars in your world.

12. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to come in and revisit this thread.
    My co-worker keeps complaining about water spots. I coated his car some time back, but with COVID, we mostly work from home and I haven't seen his car.

Was hoping maybe I'd see some solution.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Had to come in and revisit this thread.
    My co-worker keeps complaining about water spots. I coated his car some time back, but with COVID, we mostly work from home and I haven't seen his car.

Was hoping maybe I'd see some solution.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Top it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast