autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: advancement in sealants and wax's for water spotting

Since Mike bumped the thread here's a post from an old forum member who supposedly was a chemist. I don't know who the guy was or why he stopped posting but I really enjoyed reading his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dschia View Post
    Interesting point and it make sense regarding the definition of 'sheeting'. I have always enjoyed reading and learning the know why from your posts. 1 observance between the 2 products however is the slickness. The more hydrophobic product tend to feel less slick so my first thought would be to assume that more contaminates will stay on the panel than the other. If all factors remain the same except the slickness, isnt the more hydrophobic product worst off than the other- counter intuitive than the general public perception that more bead is good.
    There are a bunch of factors which mean that this may or may not be the case. For example, a very large number of sealant type products are excellent at repelling water but are in fact oleophillic. What this means is they repel water but oils stick. If you were to spray oil onto the paint, it would stick really well and give a true 'sheet'. In laymans terms that means that the finish repels water and attracts anything oily/greasy (i.e. soiling). There are lots of really hydrophobic coatings which claim to be self cleaning but are in fact very inclined to contamination with oily soiling (more so than without the product) and are also very hard to clean (hydrophobic - remember - water is repelled so it has a hard time wetting the soiling!). In an ideal world, you want a finish which is oleophobic (repels oils) yet hydrophillic (water sticks - sheets). This means that oils don't stick well and any which do are easily removed because water is attracted to the surface and can easily wet the oily soils. I do not believe such a thing exists! For now, a bit of oleophobicity is a good start - but when did you last see a detailing brand mention the term (never?!)?

Oh - slickness/roughness... whole other area again!

From a thread from 2016 "I want wax that sheets water"

I want wax that sheets water!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post

Since Mike bumped the thread here's a post from an old forum member who supposedly was a chemist.

I don't know who the guy was or why he stopped posting but I really enjoyed reading his posts.

Me too.

Mike Phillips

And....

I just shared this topical thread here,

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    In the days of products which would sheet more than bead, what was the indicator the LSP had worn out and needed to be re-applied? The speed of the sheeting?
    Good question! I tend to use slickness as an indicator of LSP still being on the surface. I am just getting into in the use of ceramic coatings, and I know that many of them are not as slick, so that complicates things.

RamAirV1

Post Thanks / Like

In my younger days my dad had a 1951 Desota . He and my uncle resprayed it a dark green. 6 weeks later I decided to wax it . I washed it , polish it with Dupont # 7 auto polish, and Simonized it with the original Simonize. The car looked great , but it rained a week later and the sun came out. Very bad water spots on the hood ,roof and trunk. Ever rubbing compond wouldnt get them out . Years later some of the spots were still there.

Post Thanks / Like

A quick bump to this year old thread here:

Has anyone discovered any products, combinations, etc. to help in this "water spotting" area that so many of us experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked at Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10?

Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what I've read, if it beads water the potential is there for deposits to stay in those beads and then adhere to the paint as the water dries off. Pretty much every product is prone to water spotting to one degree or another. You'd need a non stick surface to prevent water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Have you looked at Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10?

Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10
    I have not but I will. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    Based on what I've read, if it beads water the potential is there for deposits to stay in those beads and then adhere to the paint as the water dries off.
    Yes I agree. I have noticed that with my last few washes on my wife's 2014 black MDX I have applied mckee's rinse free wash and wax product as a quick detailer and the water spotting has decreased a lot. Not sure if the w&w had anything to do with it but I will see over the next couple of weeks. I had been using CG V7 but ran out and so figured I would use the w&w in the mean time until I placed an order with AG (which I did today and saved 25% with free shipping...thank you very much AG). But, I actually like the w&w better than the V7 however.

I am planning on coating it within the next couple of weeks and I do not think I will be using the w&w on top of the coating but if in the mean time the water spotting is at a minimum and after coating the spots are worse I may consider it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast