autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: advancement in sealants and wax's for water spotting

I enjoy reading these bits of Mike Phillips insight!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I was out of the craft when the whole wax wars happened with Zaino and NXT.

Quote Originally Posted by infosponge View Post

I enjoy reading these bits of Mike Phillips insight!

Off the right of my desk, on a shelf, I have the original NXT Lab Sample Bottles from A through E. I also have the lab created full size bottle signed by Barry Meguiar. This all took place in 2003 and then NXT went to market in January of 2004. By August of 2004 it became the Number #1 selling wax in America. Something that had never been seen before in the car wax industry. That is a product launched in January then took the number one spot in sales in 8 months.

I have a thread about that on MOL.

3. Thanks dlc95, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, SWETM, VitreousHumor, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I gave the original copy of this report to Barry Meguiar and my guess is it's long gone. I do have the electronic version.
    I was trying to remember whether I had a hard copy or if it was on the computer...I think that was before pdf's so if it was electronic it must have been Zinio Reader or something, right?

At meetings at Hewlett-Packard, you could NOT come to a meeting with ONLY a problem or a complaint. If you wanted to point out something negative, like a problem, you also had to offer up your suggestion for the solution.
    I had a great boss years ago who would say "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions".

Zaino was a pure synthetic and it was kicking everyone's company's ass on the Internet, which of course means it was kicking every wax company's ass in the real world, i.e. across all the garages across America (and the world).
    Were they really significant in the real world? I mean, as you said, perception is reality, and Zaino was certainly a forum force, with their legion of beta testers who would take a bullet (metaphorically) for Sal. But beyond the forums, Meguiar's couldn't have seen Zaino as a threat, with ecommerce only beginning and their "car show marketing"? Or was there a concern that between forums and ecommerce they would in the future cut into Meg's market? If that was the concern, it certainly didn't happen, I'd call Zaino a footnote today, maybe in some ways because of you, Mike, at Meguiar's and PBMG dominating the web space. Of course it was you, with OctaneGuy, who set the stage for all that, with those early detailing videos. That's probably another thing you don't get credit for.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sad to say I cannot find my original copy. This would be the copy I marked up via a yellow highlighter for my own reference and for reference when I wrote the Zaino Case Study. The Zaino Case Study was a report I wrote to explain how marketing via word-of-mouth on the Internet, primarily through discussion forums, (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram had not been invented for years down the road), was replacing word-of-mouth in the physical world.

I gave the original copy of this report to Barry Meguiar and my guess is it's long gone. I do have the electronic version. It was page 31 of this report where I put into practice what I learned at Hewlett-Packard, that is their rule for meetings. At meetings at Hewlett-Packard, you could NOT come to a meeting with ONLY a problem or a complaint. If you wanted to point out something negative, like a problem, you also had to offer up your suggestion for the solution. Otherwise keep your mouth shut. Love that rule.

Here's how I applied it in the Zaino Case Study. The Zaino Case Study highlighted multiple problems but the primary problem was that at that time, Meguiar's had a hole in their line. (some of you may recognize that phrase). The hole in the line was they did not have a single product that was a pure synthetic. That is a synthetic paint protecting product that also did not include either chemical cleaners or some form of abrasives. Every product at that time either had chemical cleaners, abrasives or Carnauba.

Zaino was a pure synthetic and it was kicking everyone's company's ass on the Internet, which of course means it was kicking every wax company's ass in the real world, i.e. across all the garages across America (and the world). So in keeping with what I learned at Hewlett-Packard, (in Corvallis, Oregon), on page 31 I included my suggestions for the solution to the product. My suggestion was a pure synthetic. A product that had zero cleaners. Zero abrasives. and Zero Carnauba. Just pure synthetic paint protection. This is where NXT Tech Wax came from and then later M21.

Most my colleagues at Meguiar's never gave or give me credit for this but the Vice President at that time, Atticus Firey, the Strategic Planner, Dick Koth and the head chemist, Gary Silvers, they all knew where NXT came from and they gave me credit for the creation for this product.

Just a little Car Wax History.

Incredible piece of trivia!

Wow!

Well, thanks for that Mike.

M21 is still one of my favorites.

6. Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the right of my desk, on a shelf, I have the original NXT Lab Sample Bottles from A through E. I also have the lab created full size bottle signed by Barry Meguiar. This all took place in 2003 and then NXT went to market in January of 2004. By August of 2004 it became the Number #1 selling wax in America. Something that had never been seen before in the car wax industry. That is a product launched in January then took the number one spot in sales in 8 months.

I have a thread about that on MOL.

Yep, in 2002 I was drumming in a ton of bands, and had a new gf that took up a ton of time. In the five years I was with her, I detailed one car - her mom's.

That had to have been 2003 or 04. I remember walking into the auto parts store wondering what all these new waxes were all about...

I believe there was a clear Blue Coral gel wax, maybe it was RainX wax. ColorX was out...

I couldn't find my Blue Coral Ultra Fine Auto Polish (cleaner wax) anywhere..

If you blink while looking at this industry, you miss something.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I believe there was a clear Blue Coral gel wax,

If you blink while looking at this industry, you miss something.

Even if you do >blink< chances are I have it or a picture of it and probably and article too....

NXT Generation Wax 2.0 vs. 26 Tech yellow wax

Blue Coral Gel Wax

Except for the light purple tint this Blue Coral Gel Wax is pretty close to being clear.

9. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome history and discussion

Have AGO carried a brand named Glare Proffessional?
    Why I ask is cause it has been a hidden gem on Swedish detailing forum. And the caractics is just a high sheeting ability. It's useally Glare or Menzerna Powerlock that is recommended to beginners that wants to get in the sealant route. With the primer polish Glare Micro-finish which has fine abrasives and the Glassplexin that Glare Proffessional Polish is based of and is the sealant. Yeah that is the switch with the names finish and polish LOL. When applyied in the fall so the fresh application takes the hit of the winter months here in Sweden. You get a year of longevity from it. I have not used it myself but there is so many forums members that has and does so I believe them. And I think that it's from the era when NXT vs Zaino war was. The beading vs sheeting was what Glare came to mind.

I used something in the beginning of 2000 that was very like the synthetic spray waxes. It came in an 8oz bottle and the top of the bottle you used to pump up a pressure in the bottle. And then sprayed on the paint and spread it out and wipe the residue off. It where a very flashy looking bottle. And was said to be made in the US. Anyone has a clue of what it could be? I can't remember the name of it. Think that the liquid was light green color. The slickness it gave was impresive and the gloss was great.

Is the NXT 2.0 and M21 sealant very alike?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome history and discussion

Have AGO carried a brand named Glare Proffessional?
    Why I ask is cause it has been a hidden gem on Swedish detailing forum. And the caractics is just a high sheeting ability. It's useally Glare or Menzerna Powerlock that is recommended to beginners that wants to get in the sealant route. With the primer polish Glare Micro-finish which has fine abrasives and the Glassplexin that Glare Proffessional Polish is based of and is the sealant. Yeah that is the switch with the names finish and polish LOL. When applyied in the fall so the fresh application takes the hit of the winter months here in Sweden. You get a year of longevity from it. I have not used it myself but there is so many forums members that has and does so I believe them. And I think that it's from the era when NXT vs Zaino war was. The beading vs sheeting was what Glare came to mind.

I used something in the beginning of 2000 that was very like the synthetic spray waxes. It came in an 8oz bottle and the top of the bottle you used to pump up a pressure in the bottle. And then sprayed on the paint and spread it out and wipe the residue off. It where a very flashy looking bottle. And was said to be made in the US. Anyone has a clue of what it could be? I can't remember the name of it. Think that the liquid was light green color. The slickness it gave was impresive and the gloss was great.

Is the NXT 2.0 and M21 sealant very alike?
    The pump to make pressure first I ever saw of that was dri wash n guard it was in the 90s here in the states that it was being pushed on the car show scene. Before Zaino was in the Midwest anyways.

Glare just never took off here. Even Honda and Yamaha had it relabeled for there own “polish”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    The pump to make pressure first I ever saw of that was dri wash n guard it was in the 90s here in the states that it was being pushed on the car show scene. Before Zaino was in the Midwest anyways.

Glare just never took off here. Even Honda and Yamaha had it relabeled for there own “polish”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simonize had an elaborate sprayer on one of their products too.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Back to water beading...

16. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast