autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Makita PO5000C performance in free-spin mode question...

Hello Mike,

Thanks in advance for considering my question.

I am torn between the Makita PO5000C and the GG BOSS G15. I have read some reviews regarding the Makita easily stalling when in free-spin mode. That is disappointing, especially for a 7.5 Amp machine. Generally, I have not heard anyone complain about the same problem with the GG BOSS G15 which is free-spin only! I do realize technique will always play an important role. I'm surprised to hear the reports on the Makita stalling.

You've worked with the Makita as well as the GG G15. All else being equal in terms of technique, in your personal opinion, does the Makita seem to stall (in free-spin mode), more so than the GG G15?

They both have about the same power at 7.5Amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Makita PO5000C performance in free-spin mode question...

The Makita’s freespin mode is weak and useless. Look at it as a forced rotation machine. That being said, now you are comparing two different style machines. A forced rotation Da(Makita) and a long throw free spinning DA(Griots)
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    The Makita’s freespin mode is weak and useless. Look at it as a forced rotation machine. That being said, now you are comparing two different style machines. A forced rotation Da(Makita) and a long throw free spinning DA(Griots)
    Well, I thought my comparison was reasonably fair as both machines are powered by a 7.5 Amp motor. The Makita advertises it is a "Dual Mode" machine offering forced rotation as well as free-spin capability. The GG G15 is solely a free-spinning mechanism. I was comparing the free spinning power between these two.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Oldz,
    I get your point now that the Makita in free spin mode is not where is should be (power wise) and as such it should be considered a forced rotation only. In that way, you are correct sir, it should not be compared to the G15 as it is only free spinning capable.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not just about the motor power. You are over simplifying it. The free spin on the Makita is only 5mm compared to the 15mm on the G15. That 10mm difference in orbit creates a lot less spin on the Makita. However, the 5mm orbit in forced rotation mode is a lot smoother than the 8mm orbit forced rotation machines. Rupes went with 5mm orbit on the Mille too. They both choose smaller orbit and increased the OPM & RPM's to make up for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Its not just about the motor power. You are over simplifying it. The free spin on the Makita is only 5mm compared to the 15mm on the G15. That 10mm difference in orbit creates a lot less spin on the Makita. However, the 5mm orbit in forced rotation mode is a lot smoother than the 8mm orbit forced rotation machines. Rupes went with 5mm orbit on the Mille too. They both choose smaller orbit and increased the OPM & RPM's to make up for it.
    just interested, do you put Makita’s lack of spin down to the short 5.5mm throw ... not delivering enough centrifugal force or whatever to generate sufficient “free spin”?

What puzzles me is Makita’s own 2 videos show both modes and even in their own videos the pure DA Mode does not spin at all!
    Also, In the handbook it says finish polishing in the DA mode.

Does it polish at all if the pad does not rotate ? (Obviously I realise it will be severely reduced)
    Just trying to find out if you get the right Pad and finishing polish, will it, albeit very slowly, deliver a very fine high gloss finishing polish in DA mode? Or does it plain “not work at all”?