autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Which tool should I get? TORQ 10FX or Porter Cable?

Which tool should I get? TORQ 10FX or Porter Cable?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hey mike I was looking into purchasing a polisher, I was wondering between the torqx and porter cable, which one would you recommend.

Great questions Paven...

Between these two choices I would go with the Porter Cable 7424XP. I prefer the more compact size and the build-quality of the Porter Cable and reliability cannot be matched by tools in this category. Plus this tool has the longest time-proven record for performance and reliability out of any 8mm free spinning orbital polisher.

If the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher is an option, then I would recommend it over the Porter Cable. It has a lot more useable power. I wrote this article for the Griot's unit last year, it's FULL OF USEFUL INFORMATION not just about the tool but about pads, backing plates and detailing cars.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Hope that helps and feel encouraged to join our forum, this is where I answer questions. Email is okay, but the forum is powerful.

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net car detailing discussion forum - THE best forum on the Internet

2. Likes dlc95, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which tool should I get? TORQ 10FX or Porter Cable?

Team PC!

I think I'm the only member of that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Team PC!

Nope!

I still/will use mine in every detail.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Team PC!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Nope!

I still/will use mine in every detail.
    Dan, Paul, can I join your club?

7. Likes dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Team PC!

I am also a card carrying member. Membership has its privileges. The PC feels like a real machine. It's affordable and it gets the job done.

9. Likes dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not often I disagree with you Mike

I think you are right that Porter Cable tools are better quality. This thing is probably unkillable where the Torx is a chineese knock off of the Rupes machines, so quality is probably not that great.

On the other hand, I have both and I prefer using the Torx over the Griot's Boss G15 I purchased at the same time. And I like the Boss G15 a lot more than I like the PC. In terms of ease of use, weight, how it feels in the hands, power, amount of vibration, the Torx is a better tool than the PC.

I think Autogeek should carry the Torx line, or some of the other Rupes clones of the same type. They are great for enthousiasts that won't be using them everyday.

Now if that guy wants reliability, I would go with the Griot's 6 inch polisher over the PC. I find the PC seriously lack power. Put a finishing pad on it, add some sealant like Powerlock and the pad will stall at speed 3 on the dial. You should not have to crank it to 5 to wax.

11. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    the Torx is a better tool than the PC.

I think Autogeek should carry the Torx line, or some of the other Rupes clones of the same type. They are great for enthousiasts that won't be using them everyday.
    Autogeek does, or at least did carry the Torqx Polisher... It’s been out of stock lately.

Chemical Guys TORQ 10FX Random Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right that Porter Cable tools are better quality. This thing is probably unkillable where the Torx is a chineese knock off of the Rupes machines, so quality is probably not that great.

On the other hand, I have both and I prefer using the Torx over the Griot's Boss G15 I purchased at the same time. And I like the Boss G15 a lot more than I like the PC. In terms of ease of use, weight, how it feels in the hands, power, amount of vibration, the Torx is a better tool than the PC.

Now if that guy wants reliability, I would go with the Griot's 6 inch polisher over the PC. I find the PC seriously lack power. Put a finishing pad on it, add some sealant like Powerlock and the pad will stall at speed 3 on the dial. You should not have to crank it to 5 to wax.
    Is it the torq10fx you have or do you have the longthrow version torq22 I think it's the name of it? The torq10fx is a 8mm free spinning DA.

The body style of the torq10fx is interesting as it's more as a longthrow polisher body. And the the digital speed setting seems to be a great option and easier to set. The power from the GG 6 polisher is something I would consider in. To have the pad spinning easier and wont bogg down.

Post Thanks / Like

That's weird because I removed some nasty water spots with the 1st gen on speed 4.5 yesterday.

I finish polished my gf's truck with it on speed 1.

I have three ways in which I use the machine.

1. A replicant, mechanical alternative to hand application. For instance, how I use something lime Ultimate Compound by hand, I try and replicate that with the machine. Instead of my hand making the circles, the orbit (not rotation) of the machine is doing that for me, and at a much faster rate of speed than I can move my hand. Then comes the bonus of rotation, which really aids in polishing efforts. I'm on speeds 1 - 3.5, maybe 4 for this.

2. A "safe" grinder. This is for the times when I've exhausted all other techniques, and need to try and get a "rotary type" action out of the pad (always with foam, never with microfiber). I have to monitor the pressure in a way that doesn't interfere with rotation. It's a balancing act. I'm at speed 6 to do that.

3. The "hybrid" This is where I try and combine the first two approaches. The "sweet spot", the balance of maximizing the balance between oscillation, and rotation. This is particularly effective in one step polishing processes, and cleaner waxing. I'm at speeds 4 - 5 for this. 4.5 being the sweetest of sweet spots. Sometimes I find myself hitting the bad areas at speed 5, and the not as bad at speed 4.5.

Overall pressure for all of these is "light but firm".

I totally understand how one would say It's under powered. However, I was using it in conjunction with the 3401 yesterday, switching between the two depending on panel size. My approach is similar with the two tools, as it is with the Rotary and the Rupes, and the 6" el cheapo from the parts store. It's all about maintaining that balance between pressure and rotation.

I made this video for someone on the Megs forum. He was asking how to polish angles/body lines. I don't know if he ever saw it.

I believe I'm on speed 3 or 4 here.

It's VERY hard to polish and shoot a video....

YouTube

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's weird because I removed some nasty water spots with the 1st gen on speed 4.5 yesterday.

I finish polished my gf's truck with it on speed 1.

I have three ways in which I use the machine.

1. A replicant, mechanical alternative to hand application. For instance, how I use something lime Ultimate Compound by hand, I try and replicate that with the machine. Instead of my hand making the circles, the orbit (not rotation) of the machine is doing that for me, and at a much faster rate of speed than I can move my hand. Then comes the bonus of rotation, which really aids in polishing efforts. I'm on speeds 1 - 3.5, maybe 4 for this.

2. A "safe" grinder. This is for the times when I've exhausted all other techniques, and need to try and get a "rotary type" action out of the pad (always with foam, never with microfiber). I have to monitor the pressure in a way that doesn't interfere with rotation. It's a balancing act. I'm at speed 6 to do that.

3. The "hybrid" This is where I try and combine the first two approaches. The "sweet spot", the balance of maximizing the balance between oscillation, and rotation. This is particularly effective in one step polishing processes, and cleaner waxing. I'm at speeds 4 - 5 for this. 4.5 being the sweetest of sweet spots. Sometimes I find myself hitting the bad areas at speed 5, and the not as bad at speed 4.5.

Overall pressure for all of these is "light but firm".

I totally understand how one would say It's under powered. However, I was using it in conjunction with the 3401 yesterday, switching between the two depending on panel size. My approach is similar with the two tools, as it is with the Rotary and the Rupes, and the 6" el cheapo from the parts store. It's all about maintaining that balance between pressure and rotation.

I made this video for someone on the Megs forum. He was asking how to polish angles/body lines. I don't know if he ever saw it.

I believe I'm on speed 3 or 4 here.

It's VERY hard to polish and shoot a video....

YouTube
    Do you use a 5" backing plate in the Youtube video?

You seem to have perfected the technique with your PC. And I'm interesting to read your comments when you share what pads and polishes you uses. I see you use mostly Meguiars abrasives when polishing. Is there a benefit with their more oily polishes that keep the pad spinning easier?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast