autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A waterless wash question

Ok. So I have read a few threads about waterless wash but need someone or Mike to help me off the ledge.

Here is my delima. I am a bucket of soap and water guy. I also live down a unpaved driveway. I recently bought a dark color new truck so today I polished,sealed and waxed my beautiful truck. The issue is after slowly creeping down my drive I do tend to get a very fine layer of dust on the vehicle. I do wash my truck every weekend and would never use a waterless wash on a dirty truck with road grime and etc.....but I would like a pretty truck in between washes I would probably only use the waterless wash about once a week between normal washes.

The last thing I want to do is scratch my paint and get swirls doing this. Do y’all think I would be ok or should I not take a chance.

Thanks,
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A waterless wash question

If you touch it, you will scratch it. You are lucky if you get a chance to wash every week, I personally wouldn’t touch it between proper washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not rinseless instead. Leave the roof to the weekly wash and just go around the vehicle with rinseless. Try it once and I think you will see what I mean.

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Why not rinseless instead. Leave the roof to the weekly wash and just go around the vehicle with rinseless. Try it once and I think you will see what I mean.
    I will definitely look into it thx

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, one more thing. Either way you go, I would get a hand pump sprayer to spray ahead of where youre washing to break up the surface tension. It can't hurt and I think it makes for a safer wash.

7. Likes Eldorado2k, Cleankat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, one more thing. Either way you go, I would get a hand pump sprayer to spray ahead of where youre washing to break up the surface tension. It can't hurt and I think it makes for a safer wash.
    Great advice.A waterless wash question

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of waterless solution and lots of good quality towels it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so update. After a hardcore detail on the truck the dust doesn’t seem to collect on it so fast. I’ve made multiple trips the last couple days and it’s still pretty darn clean to the point my ocd isn’t kicking in. So at this point I’m good until to the next car wash day. Thanks for the replies and advise.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a black car and I'm OCD as heck. I drive my wife crazy. Anyways, I live in a dusty and windy province so my car gathers a light layer of dust rather quickly. I do a lot of waterless/rinseless washes. Using a combination of both is the best method.

Here's the products I use:
    • Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash dilution - 1/3oz : 1gal distilled water
    • WG Uber waterless wash dilution - 2/3oz : 32oz distilled water
    • The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 500 microfibres
    • The Rag Company Creature or Spectrum 420 microfibres

Method:
    1. Spray panel with waterless wash solution.
    2. Soak microfiber in rinseless wash solution, wring out so it's still completely soaked through but slightly dripping.
    3. Fold twice (which gives you 8 sides) and wipe in one direction using 1 half of first side, wipe again on same side using second half of that side.
    4. Finish panel flipping to clean sides when needed. You will have 8 sides with one microfibre that can work as 16 sides doing it this way. Use really good microfibres though like the eagle edgeless 500.
    5. Take a dry microfiber (I use my creature or spectrums) and lightly wipe the panel you just washed. Basically this is like using a detail spray at this point as the WG Uber is also a QD (crazy awesome product btw). Or you could also spray panel with a drying agent like Megs d156 before wiping up.
    6. Complete the rest of your panels this way.

An extra tip,

I will take a few towels soaked in the rinseless solution and wipe some specific spots that collect dust and dirt easily. The edges around the windshield, the edges around the windows where there is chrome trim or some sort of trim, the little groove on hood in between hood and pillar, trim/rubber that is between bottom of rear windshield and trunk, and the bottom section of windshield under the wipers. I find these spots collect more dust quicker so I like to wipe them right at the beginning so my microfibres are much less contaminated while doing the panels. I usually only need 1 to do all those spots and you are barely touching any paint on those spots as well.

I have great success with this method. Even when doing a traditional bucket wash you are still touching the paint and therefore you will enduce light scratching to some degree. I guess thats where a pre-soak with a foam and pressure rinse also helps to get rid of as much dirt before the contact wash.

An advantage to this rinseless/waterless wash method is you can do in the sun and in high heat as you are only doing one panel at a time and using distilled water. I have the evening sun on my driveway so it's really difficult to wash without getting water spots. I can't wait to get my water softener system put in.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast