autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A waterless wash question

Quote Originally Posted by Bacovish View Post
    Ok. So I have read a few threads about waterless wash but need someone or Mike to help me off the ledge.

Here is my delima. I am a bucket of soap and water guy. I also live down a unpaved driveway. I recently bought a dark color new truck so today I polished,sealed and waxed my beautiful truck. The issue is after slowly creeping down my drive I do tend to get a very fine layer of dust on the vehicle. I do wash my truck every weekend and would never use a waterless wash on a dirty truck with road grime and etc.....but I would like a pretty truck in between washes I would probably only use the waterless wash about once a week between normal washes.

The last thing I want to do is scratch my paint and get swirls doing this. Do y’all think I would be ok or should I not take a chance.

I'm very opinionated as I do a lot of rinseless washing, especially in the winter both on my person vehicles and others. Zero issues. I stand by the fact that a true waterless technique using a sprayed down panel and dry rag is fine for dust before a cars and coffee event but honestly, I never touch my car with a dry rag. I ALWAYS use damp rags even to dry my car.

It's all about technique. Even with a bucket wash, there's no need to scrub. Just wipe to break the dirt loose and onto the rag. Wipe and roll and never wipe with the same area twice. I use a modified Gary Dean Technique and when really dirty, my rinseless involves about 1.5 to 2gals distilled water per car. I can and do in the non-winter months use less and perhaps use a spray bottle vs a dedicated sprayer but it depends on the conditions.

I also stand by the fact that a ceramic coating will help too. There are many advantages that they offer.

• Vehicle stays cleaner longer since dirt is less likely to adhere
    • Dirt comes off way easier and thus more safely as it doesn't bond to the surface as much
    • Their hydrophobic properties allow dirt to wash off when sprayed thus less dirt on the car when rinseless washing.
    • Coatings are hard - use a good one and put 1-2 layers on

Opinions will vary but I've had and still do have black cars, including a pure black Audi and had zero issues marring my paint. IMO most marring is induced on drying not washing.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To OP - I was a bucket guy forever. Just couldn't believe that rinseless/waterless was safe. I finally got up the courage to try rinseless, and I will (almost) never go back. I use WG Uber and presoak the panels, and I firmly believe this is as safe as a bucket if the car isn't too dirty. It's also far less time consuming. If you follow directions and ensure you are using a clean towel surface, you should be good. I haven't seen any ill effects from the rw method on my moderately dirty cars. I'd give it a shot regardless of frequency of washes. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes TTQ B4U, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    To OP - I was a bucket guy forever. Just couldn't believe that rinseless/waterless was safe. I finally got up the courage to try rinseless, and I will (almost) never go back. I use WG Uber and presoak the panels, and I firmly believe this is as safe as a bucket if the car isn't too dirty. It's also far less time consuming. If you follow directions and ensure you are using a clean towel surface, you should be good. I haven't seen any ill effects from the rw method on my moderately dirty cars. I'd give it a shot regardless of frequency of washes. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I couldn't agree with this more.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12