autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this DA Haze? Black Acura - How to Fix?

I have a 2018 black Acura TLX. I wanted to do a 1 step correction and start getting it prepared for winter. My LSP was going to be Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. My car did not need claying as it was just done roughly 3 weeks ago. It was squeaky clean to the touch after drying. I did quickly spray an iron remover but did not see any purple run off. I followed up after drying with Optimum Paint Prep wipe down.

Equipment:
    Adams Swirl Killer 12mm DA
    LC Low Profile Thin Force Pad - Orange
    Scholl Concepts S20 Black
    Costco Kirkland Microfiber - these were new and washed only twice without use yet
    Rag Company Eagle Edgeless Creature Microfiber

I taped off a section just to test out this pad and polish combo. 4 dime sized drops on the pad and not spritz of detail spray or water. I spread it around on low speed then jumped up 5 and did 4 slow passes, then slowed down to 4 and did 1 quicker pass. I wiped off the residue with my costco mf first. From the naked eye it appeared clean and shiny. When I shined my flashlight I could say a clear difference between the section I covered and the rest of the panel. The section I covered was dull and hazy, however I can not see this without shining the light and getting close up. I sprayed my optimum paint prep and wiped off with my eagle edgeless creature. No difference. In the pictures the right side is the dull side I hit and the left side is the untouched side. Also you can see the same thing with the top line as well.

I spend numerous hours researching over the last day and a half and I'm thinking this is possibly DA Haze from using to strong of a pad. I'm a beginner though, so I don't know for sure. From what I can gather I could resolve this by using a black finishing pad with a finer finishing polish. I've also read that the opposite may be true and I may need a stronger pad. I really don't know if I have soft or hard paint. Traditionally Acura paint is soft but who knows. The correction even though hazy showed improvement but not as much as I would have hoped.

Where do I go from here? Black pad and S20 or black pad and finer polish? Which polish if so? Some ideas are Menzerna SF3500 or GG Boss perfecting cream. Or am I totally wrong on what is going on here?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Re: Is this DA Haze? Black Acura - How to Fix?

Just to note,

You had two identical threads, my guess is because the thread was "Moderated" automatically by our forum software for suspicion of being a spam post. Just a guess.

I approved both of your "moderated" threads and then moved the duplicate to the Moderator forum group.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post

I have a 2018 black Acura TLX.
    I think a lot of people find the paint on these cars to be soft. I never generalize myself but instead do a Test Spot, but I am throwing this into the equation as soft paint does micr-mar very easily.

LC Low Profile Thin Force Pad - Orange
    Scholl Concepts S20 Black
    It's been a long time since I used any Scholl Concepts compounds and polishes, we use to sell them on the AG store but due to lack of sales they were discontinued so can't comment on the abrasive technology being the issue.

I can tell you that a Lake Country ThinPro Orange foam cutting pad is sharp enough to EASILY micro-mar paint.

The "normal" process would be, after cutting with a cutting pad, you follow this step with a softer, less aggressive pad and product. Especially if you're seeing micro-marring.

From the naked eye it appeared clean and shiny. When I shined my flashlight I could say a clear difference between the section I covered and the rest of the panel. The section I covered was dull and hazy, however I can not see this without shining the light and getting close up. I sprayed my optimum paint prep and wiped off with my eagle edgeless creature. No difference.

In the pictures the right side is the dull side I hit and the left side is the untouched side. Also you can see the same thing with the top line as well.
    The paint on the right side of your tape line is micro-marring. It might be pad haze and it might be micro-marring from the abrasives and it might be micro-marring from both the pad and the product.

Where do I go from here? Black pad and S20 or black pad and finer polish? Which polish if so? Some ideas are Menzerna SF3500 or GG Boss perfecting cream. Or am I totally wrong on what is going on here?
    Yes, do a second Test Spot over a PORTION of the micro-marred area that you polished with the LC ThinPro orange pad and the S20 only now switch to a softer foam polishing pad and a less aggressive polish.

Both Menzerna and Griot's use great abrasive technology. You want a fine cut polish for the next step.

In the world there are,

1. Aggressive compound
    2. Medium cut polish
    3. Fine cut polish
    4. Ultra fine cut polish

You want either a fine cut or ultra fine cut polish.

In the Wolfgang line, the abrasive technology is made by Menzerna and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze would be a great bubba-proof way to go. It's not a "glaze" but a fine cut polish. No sure who named this product back in the day but it should be called a polish.

The Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish would also be a bubba-proof option, different abrasive technology but top notch. For Menzerna, I think their 3800 product is a fine cut, they change their names too often, need to figure out their game and then stick with it.

Any guidance is appreciated.
    See the above...

4. Likes Bobh59, SirFrederick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to make an assumption Acura paint is very similar, if not the same as Honda paint, but I've not actually worked on an Acura.

When polishing my Honda, I have been able to do all the correcting needed with nothing more than some white Lake Country Thin Pro and Flat pads and a finishing polish. The paint was in horrible condition when the car was purchased, but test spots revealed the paint was so soft you can take it from trashed to like-new with very little effort.

I performed a test spot with both Megulars Ultimate Polish and Blacfire's SRC Finishing Polish and settled on the Blackfire product simply because I liked the way it worked a little better and it finished out a little glossier. Both products would have finished out just fine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to note,

You had two identical threads, my guess is because the thread was "Moderated" automatically by our forum software for suspicion of being a spam post. Just a guess.

I approved both of your "moderated" threads and then moved the duplicate to the Moderator forum group.

I appreciate that. I believe it was my fault actually.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that a Lake Country ThinPro Orange foam cutting pad is sharp enough to EASILY micro-mar paint.
    Would I better off going with a different pad? The pads that are available to me for ordering are (I'm in Canada):
    1. LC Hybrid Force Pads
    2. LC HDO Orbital Pads
    3. Buff and Shine Uro-Tec
    4. GG Fast Correcting Pads

The paint on the right side of your tape line is micro-marring. It might be pad haze and it might be micro-marring from the abrasives and it might be micro-marring from both the pad and the product.

Yes, do a second Test Spot over a PORTION of the micro-marred area that you polished with the LC ThinPro orange pad and the S20 only now switch to a softer foam polishing pad and a less aggressive polish.

Both Menzerna and Griot's use great abrasive technology. You want a fine cut polish for the next step.

In the world there are,

1. Aggressive compound
    2. Medium cut polish
    3. Fine cut polish
    4. Ultra fine cut polish

You want either a fine cut or ultra fine cut polish.

In the Wolfgang line, the abrasive technology is made by Menzerna and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze would be a great bubba-proof way to go. It's not a "glaze" but a fine cut polish. No sure who named this product back in the day but it should be called a polish.

The Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish would also be a bubba-proof option, different abrasive technology but top notch. For Menzerna, I think their 3800 product is a fine cut, they change their names too often, need to figure out their game and then stick with it.
    Thank you for this information. It's greatly appreciated.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm going to make an assumption Acura paint is very similar, if not the same as Honda paint, but I've not actually worked on an Acura.

When polishing my Honda, I have been able to do all the correcting needed with nothing more than some white Lake Country Thin Pro and Flat pads and a finishing polish. The paint was in horrible condition when the car was purchased, but test spots revealed the paint was so soft you can take it from trashed to like-new with very little effort.

I performed a test spot with both Megulars Ultimate Polish and Blacfire's SRC Finishing Polish and settled on the Blackfire product simply because I liked the way it worked a little better and it finished out a little glossier. Both products would have finished out just fine.
    This is good info. I'm hoping that I can still accomplish a 1 step once I find the right product and pad combo.

How many passes did you do per section and did you have to alter anything with your final pass to achieve those results?

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely micro-marring. Generally speaking, S20 finishes very good, even on softer paint. 4 dime sized drops on a 3" pad? Way too much product. Reduce amount of product and try it with a quality polishing pad. You results should improve. If that doesn't work, S30+ is a great option for minor correction on softer paint. Also, I wouldn't use the Kirkland microfiber to remove polish residue. You don't want to deal with towel marring either.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Definitely micro-marring. Generally speaking, S20 finishes very good, even on softer paint. 4 dime sized drops on a 3" pad? Way too much product. Reduce amount of product and try it with a quality polishing pad. You results should improve. If that doesn't work, S30+ is a great option for minor correction on softer paint. Also, I wouldn't use the Kirkland microfiber to remove polish residue. You don't want to deal with towel marring either.
    It was 5.5" pad that I used. In addition to taking Mike's recommendation and using a fine cut polish with less aggressive pad, I will also test the S20 with a less aggressive pad to see how it works as well. Thanks for your info.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a new black Acura NSX not too long ago with some light marring most likely from the dealer. I used a super fine finishing polish and black 5.5" Thin Pro's on my old, and I mean 20 plus year old, PC 7336 and it finished out beautifully. I had to gently whisper to the paint some sweet nothings here and there to "persuade" correction.

Point being...it may have been the softest paint I have ever encountered.

12. Likes SirFrederick liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast