autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this DA Haze? Black Acura - How to Fix?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post
    It was 5.5" pad that I used. In addition to taking Mike's recommendation and using a fine cut polish with less aggressive pad, I will also test the S20 with a less aggressive pad to see how it works as well. Thanks for your info.
    Oh ok, you mentioned a 12mn polisher. As far as I know, Adams does not make a 12mm polisher that uses 5.5” pads. It’s actually 15mm with 5.5” pads.

Anyhow, Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow or white pad is an awesome combo for soft black paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this DA Haze? Black Acura - How to Fix?

This is good info. I'm hoping that I can still accomplish a 1 step once I find the right product and pad combo.

How many passes did you do per section and did you have to alter anything with your final pass to achieve those results?
    When you dial in the product/pad combo you should easily be able to get great results in one step.

I did 4~5 passes of each section. I define a "pass" as going over the area in one direction. Four passes of an area would entail two horizontal passes and two vertical passes alternating between the two directions. The paint was so easy to polish out I didn't do anything special on the final pass. I simply provided medium pressure across all passes and then wiped of the polish.

Below is a 50/50 picture from the gray Honda I mentioned in my first post. You're Acrura doesn't appear to be anywhere near the sorry state of my Honda, so you should have it looking amazing in no time.

Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes SirFrederick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The super soft paint might explain why my neighbor's red TSX is now pink on the top. Even though the car sits outside all of the time and we're in AZ, I've never seen a car's paint fade so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    The super soft paint might explain why my neighbor's red TSX is now pink on the top. Even though the car sits outside all of the time and we're in AZ, I've never seen a car's paint fade so bad.
    I really don’t think that has to do with the softness of the paint, but rather the intense AZ heat.

'03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Oh ok, you mentioned a 12mn polisher. As far as I know, Adams does not make a 12mm polisher that uses 5.5” pads. It’s actually 15mm with 5.5” pads.

Anyhow, Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow or white pad is an awesome combo for soft black paint.

Oops, typo on my part there. I meant 15mm. I've heard nothing but good things about perfect finish. Another combo to keep in mind. Thanks

7. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The S20 Black is recommended to use with there honey spiderpad finishing pad on soft asian paints. And the S20 is a compound that finish like a finish polish. As it's seems you have a very soft clearcoat so S20 may be to aggressive. It's a little wrong way but you could combo with a finishing pad and S20 and see where it takes you. Why I say wrong is you start with the least aggressive combo. And with a soft clearcoat a finishing polish with a finishing or a polishing pad is where you start doing your test spot. It's easier to see if you need to go more aggressive when you have a clear test spot. And from there move up in aggressiveness of pad or abrasives. It can be that you have to much of defects to get away with a one step correction. How do you think you corrected the swirls when you look at the swirls you have on the non polished section against the spot you did? If you take the da haze out of the picture. And if you still see swirls you had from the beginning through the DA haze. You don't have an enough aggressive combo. That's why it could be good to use a finishing polish with a finishing pad to clear up the DA haze and see if the correction is enough. If it's enough you still can get away with a less aggressive combo. Otherwise it's a 2 step correction or find the most aggressive combo that don't gets DA haze.

And as someone else noted. Get some quality mf towel to wipe off your polish with. Some soft finicky paints needs a very soft plush mf towel. And if you are the only owner of the car. I would look at your washing method. So you if you get a nice finish after your correction. And after some washes see that your work needs to be done again. It's a very gentle approach to wash soft paints and some gentle wash media and quality wash solutions and also a gentle drying method. To get have a nice finish for as long as possible before polishing it again.

9. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried WGFG3.0 with a LC black thin profile pad. It took care of the haze/micro-marring.

I tested the trunk area with a 3 different combo's. The spaces I tested were smaller so I used 3 small drops of polish on the pad.
    1) WGFG3.0 + black pad, speed 4, 4 passes - this did a minor correction and left no haze/marring
    2) S20 + BnS Eurotec white pad, speed 4, 4 passes - this did a minor correction and left no haze/marring
    3) S20 + BnS Eurotec burgundy 3" pad, speed 4, 4 passes - My wife just bought me a mini polisher with some BnS Eurotec burgundy pads so I thought I'd give it a try.

1 and 2 were pretty much similar. The S20 possibly had a slightly better correction, but barely if any. The S20 seemed to dust more though. I only have one pad so I couldn't test using same pad but I believe those two pads will achieve the same results with both products. 3 left a slight haze/marring and the correction appeared to be better.

With the WGFG3.0 and black pad I'm not entirely happy with the results. I hoped for a little more correction. I'm not expecting perfect for only doing a one step, but thought maybe I'd get more out of it. Should I be going up to speed 5? Am I most likely going to need to do a full two step correction to achieve better results? I'm also aware that my lack of experience and probably technique may be playing a role here as well.

What kind of impact does the thickness of a pad have on it's performance? The LC pad is thinner than the BnS pad I have. They both seemed to perform basically the same so I'm wondering why there is such difference in pad thickness with all companies not just the two I have. I am going to order another 5 pads for the one I decide to go with so any input regarding that would be great.

Mike Phillips

With the WGFG3.0 and black pad I'm not entirely happy with the results. I hoped for a little more correction.

I'm not expecting perfect for only doing a one step, but thought maybe I'd get more out of it.

Should I be going up to speed 5?

Just to bring this back into context, here's what I wrote in post #3 of this thread,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I You want a fine cut polish for the next step.

In the world there are,

1. Aggressive compound
    2. Medium cut polish
    3. Fine cut polish
    4. Ultra fine cut polish

You want either a fine cut or ultra fine cut polish.

If in fact the paint is soft, then to finish out you need a fine cut polish. Anything more aggressive will tend to leave micro-marring. It's a case of more correction means micro-marring. So yeah, for this paint to remove the deeper defects and also finishing out to zero micro-marring you might have to do 2 steps.

Pad type is also a huge factor when working on any paint but more importantly - softer paints because by their very nature they scratch easy.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is a top notch fine cut polish, I trust it 100% on soft paints.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to bring this back into context, here's what I wrote in post #3 of this thread,

If in fact the paint is soft, then to finish out you need a fine cut polish. Anything more aggressive will tend to leave micro-marring. It's a case of more correction means micro-marring. So yeah, for this paint to remove the deeper defects and also finishing out to zero micro-marring you might have to do 2 steps.

Pad type is also a huge factor when working on any paint but more importantly - softer paints because by their very nature they scratch easy.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is a top notch fine cut polish, I trust it 100% on soft paints.
    Thanks Mike. A two step is probably the way to go. It's funny because 99% of the swirl marks I have were from the dealership. I'm pretty meticulous with my washing techniques and routine. It's probably worth it to do a two step now and then I will probably only need to go with a one step polish every spring afterwards.

The WG total swirl remover is probably a good compound to pair with the finishing glaze. Would I need to go to anything heavier than an orange pad? How is the Meguiars Ultimate Compound to work with? Only reason I ask is I can actually buy that locally for pretty cheap. Would this be fine for soft black paint compared to more expensive compounds from WG or Menzerna?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update here. I was going to post a picture of a test section I did but it looks there are some issue's with picture/gallery right now. I'll add the pic later once the issue is fixed, but I'll ask my questions anyways.

On my test section I used GG correcting cream with orange pad as a first step. Then I taped that section into two halves and did one side with WGFG3.0 and a black pad. The results are really nice. Obviously the side that I finished has no haze and is much glossier. My understanding is the WGFG3.0 is equivalent to the Menzerna SF3500. I was thinking that since I'm doing a two step correction anyways should I go up to an ultra fine finishing polish like SF3800? Would there be noticeable difference? If going to an ultra fine finishing polish do I need a different pad instead of the black LC pad?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast