autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish or Compound for Light Scratches?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and detailing/paint correction as a whole. I've neglected my paint for a while and decided it was time to get it detailed. When I saw what people wanted to charge for paint correction and all that, I decided to invest in myself instead. I bought a Griot's 6" DA, yellow, orange, white, and black LC flat pads (in 5.5" and 3.5"), Meguiar's ultimate polish and compound, and then some regular car wash materials. It's a little scary using a polisher for the first time because I certainly don't want to take off more clear coat than I have to (100,000 mile 2008 BMW if it makes a difference).

I have a bunch of small, light scratches going down the rocker panel that I want to take out. The one pictured is on a quarter panel. Anyway, I was wondering if I should use a white pad with polish or an orange pad with compound. Maybe even a mix and match? I'm not sure. I also have light, perhaps very light, swirling (couldn't get a good picture). Should I polish or compound that?

Second question: I bought Meguiar's ULW and #21 in the hopes that I would apply the sealant first and then the ULW on top. As I did more reading, it turns out that the ultimate liquid "wax" is really a sealant just like #21 (damn marketing!). People also seems to like ULW more than #21. Is there a reason I should keep #21 around, or should I just return it?

Third question: The second picture shows a rather deep scratch that seems to have been poorly touched up. Can I get that out without grinding to the primer? Sorry about the picture quality.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polish or Compound for Light Scratches?-img_5431-jpg   Polish or Compound for Light Scratches?-img_5432-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish or Compound for Light Scratches?

The rule here is use the least amount of aggression that you can , to get the job done. So start out with the polish ,make several passages and take a look. Keep the speed at medium. If that doesn't get it , then turn up speed a little bit and do a few more passes, if that doesn't work then go nuclear with the compound. No one can really tell you how to do this,- totally- you need to do some experimenting yourself. Practice on your wife's trunk/fender…

And an orbital with foam pads and mild polish. will never take off more clear coat that you want, almost impossible unless you hold it a spot for a couple hours...
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. What speed do you recommend for polishing and compounding on the griot's? I read all about it's power, but I was still very surprised when I turned it on speed 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Correcting paint - speed 3 or 4
    Spreading wax or sealant, 1 or 2

I also use the griots .....In the last 4 years I doubt that I come off of speed 3 at all, because I just use it for polishing
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

I’m jumping in with my own ponder here... what about polishing on speed 5 with orange if the paint is hard? Ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m jumping in with my own ponder here... what about polishing on speed 5 with orange if the paint is hard? Ok?
    Running at #5, which I assume is the max, is extreme and can put stress on the polisher. Like running your car at 7500 RPM…There's no reason to do that. This is not a linear, defined science. It depends on how hard you press, it depends on the polish, you just have to experiment and it's better as Mike phillps says, to start easy and move up. I would rather do many more passes, then go in heavy and find out I've done too much. Get me?
    Glen -

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Running at #5, which I assume is the max, is extreme and can put stress on the polisher. Like running your car at 7500 RPM…There's no reason to do that. This is not a linear, defined science. It depends on how hard you press, it depends on the polish, you just have to experiment and it's better as Mike phillps says, to start easy and move up. I would rather do many more passes, then go in heavy and find out I've done too much. Get me?
    I getcha. Nice way of putting it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Speed 5 on a DA (Griot/Porter Cable) is fine. If you need speed 6 it won't hurt any. Different story when using long throw machines.

10. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the help on how to use the polisher correctly and how to take as little paint off as possible. Does anyone have thoughts on if I should bother keeping the M21 around or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Speed 5 on a DA (Griot/Porter Cable) is fine. If you need speed 6 it won't hurt any. Different story when using long throw machines.
    Agreed. I use both my PC and GG6 on 5. Sometimes 5.5/6

Won't hurt the machine at all.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes WaxMaster1, DaveT435 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast