autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzling????

Post Thanks / Like

Puzzling????

Being new to detailing for profit, I guess it shouldn't surprise me to come across something I've never seen before, but here's one I had no clue how to handle.

Did an '07 Nissan Altima this weekend. it was pretty trashed in the interior. The glass, particularly, was really bad. Turned out very well, I think, and the client was thrilled. But as I was waiting for them to pick it up, and doing my last look-over, I noticed the inside back window, between the glass and the high rear taillight, was absolutely disgusting! It never occurred to me that dirt can even get in between there!

I tried everything I could think of - I tried to jimmy a mf in there, but no way. Tried an eyeglass cleaning cloth wrapped around a panel pry tool, and it wouldn't go either. I thought the cloth might get stuck in there. I looked around for how the housing for that light comes off, and couldn't find anything, and suspect I'd need to take the rear seat out.

So knowing that the spot was still dirty, and that in a certain light it's easily seen, I didn't know what to do. I discounted the job $15.00, but still feel like I should have and could have done more to clean that glass.

So two questions: First, is $15.00 a fair discount on a $200.00 job? And second, does anyone have any idea how I could have cleaned that part of the back glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Puzzling????

I consider the 3rd brakelight area unaccesible,I am not going to spend the time removing the seat and package shelf to get at it,,it opens up the potential for causing squeaks and rattle that were not there before.
    always attempt it but don't beat youself up if you can't reach it.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

3. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some things just can’t be done. Don’t sell yourself short like you did.
    Jim

5. Likes Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not so sure I sold myself short as much as I think I am lacking knowledge on the topic. It surprises me that there is an area on a car that cannot be cleaned, but is so visible. I figured I just don't know enough. After all, to steal one of my father's lines - I learned everything I know from Autogeek, but I didn't yet learn everything AUTOGEEK knows.

As I think about it, I also realize this is the first time I've seen that space between the high taillight and rear glass even dirty. I'm also kind of curious how it got dirty. I had to pry to wedge a plastic panel tool to get anything in there at all. It's a tight spot. It seems to me that dirty water would need to have been sprayed on the inside of the rear glass and migrated past the plastic housing that is up moderately tight against the glass.

I'm just saying it's weird, and I was perplexed. I didn't return the car as detailed as I think it should be, so I allowed a discount.

But now... for the REST of the story - The car belongs to the son of a friend. It was my friend ands his wife that picked the car up. The young man (21) drove over later last night and dropped of a tip of a bit more than the discount, so I presume he was happy.

7. Likes SWETM, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A tool used in window tinting that work great for behind brake lights is called The Scrubber GT209, that might be what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...

If that scrubbing pad is well attached, I can see that working. I might have to give that a try! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strong66 View Post
    A tool used in window tinting that work great for behind brake lights is called The Scrubber GT209, that might be what you are looking for.
    That seems to be a great tool for reaching behind the brake light.

I know that Wheel Woolies has a small brush for venting holes that is a long reach and maybe as thin as you need to reach behind the brake light. And maybe you can use an air compressor to blow out the most of the dust from there. Also think that the air compressor tool Tornado. Would work with first a little chemical mix blowing out and then close the chemical mix setting and blow it dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    That seems to be a great tool for reaching behind the brake light.

I know that Wheel Woolies has a small brush for venting holes that is a long reach and maybe as thin as you need to reach behind the brake light. And maybe you can use an air compressor to blow out the most of the dust from there. Also think that the air compressor tool Tornado. Would work with first a little chemical mix blowing out and then close the chemical mix setting and blow it dry.
    Correct, the Tornador would blast that out. I would just use a canister with some DI water, not APC. If they have aftermarket tint you want to make sure you don't do anything to damage that. A small thin plastic putty knife with your waffle cloth will work as well, or the tool mentioned above.

Good, window tint installers ensure the glass is perfect even into the tight corners so that the glue on the tint will adhere. It's doable, you just need the right tools.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LSN,

The glass isn't tinted, so no issue there. But I do know a panel pry tool with a very thin cleaning cloth (for cleaning eyeglasses) was too thick to wedge in there without fear of leaving the cloth in between the glass and the light.

Also, it wasn't dust. It was streaky, oily smooj (that's a technical term) on the glass. To get this off the interior glass everywhere else, I needed a Majic Eraser, and most pleases took three different attempts to be clean enough to proceed with a standard glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Could a shot of compressed air have blown out some of that stuff? If it was dust dirt maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast