autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Paint coating prepping question

    Ive been wanting to buy a coating and been doing research prior to purchasing one, but I see all coatings come with some sort of prepping polish.
    For example with the Pinnacle Black label they have the surface cleaning polish. From reading the description it sounds much like a cleaner wax is that what it is? I currently have the Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer. Would it be ok to use this followed by IPA and then coating?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    3,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Paint coating prepping question

    The paint coating prep polishes are not like a cleaner wax. Typically a cleaner wax has both chemicals or mild abrasives to clean/polish up the paint a bit and a wax to protect the paint. A prep polish offers no protection as the waxes would interfear with the coating bonding with the paint.

    The paint polishes or primers sold with the coatings are typically for a user who isn't going to polish out the car before applying the coating. If you are going to do some sort of polishing before applying the coating, I'd recommed going with one of the panel prep sprays like Gyeon Prep, CarPro Eraser, or Blackfire Paint Prep. Using these spray products are much faster, yet still get the surface clean and ready for a coating.
    Save the Manuals!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Paint coating prepping question

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The paint coating prep polishes are not like a cleaner wax. Typically a cleaner wax has both chemicals or mild abrasives to clean/polish up the paint a bit and a wax to protect the paint. A prep polish offers no protection as the waxes would interfear with the coating bonding with the paint.

    The paint polishes or primers sold with the coatings are typically for a user who isn't going to polish out the car before applying the coating. If you are going to do some sort of polishing before applying the coating, I'd recommed going with one of the panel prep sprays like Gyeon Prep, CarPro Eraser, or Blackfire Paint Prep. Using these spray products are much faster, yet still get the surface clean and ready for a coating.
    Thank you very much all, i needed to know! Much appreciated

  4. #4
    Senior Member Don M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Paint coating prepping question

    I am planning on using Gyeon CanCoat (whenever I shake the money loose) and I was told that a water-based polish with no wax/sealant would be a good option followed by a wipe down with Gyeon/Prep, then apply the coating. I plan on getting Poorboy's SSR1 for this.


    Quote Originally Posted by blagunas6 View Post
    Ive been wanting to buy a coating and been doing research prior to purchasing one, but I see all coatings come with some sort of prepping polish.
    For example with the Pinnacle Black label they have the surface cleaning polish. From reading the description it sounds much like a cleaner wax is that what it is? I currently have the Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer. Would it be ok to use this followed by IPA and then coating?
    Don M
    2013 Camaro LS
    323HP 6-Speed

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Paint coating prepping question

    Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I am planning on using Gyeon CanCoat (whenever I shake the money loose) and I was told that a water-based polish with no wax/sealant would be a good option followed by a wipe down with Gyeon/Prep, then apply the coating. I plan on getting Poorboy's SSR1 for this.
    I was looking into getting the Cquartz UK Edition. Hear a lot of good things about it and now thinking on getting the carpro eraser with it as well...I got menzerna SF3500. Would that be fine to use prior to the carpro eraser?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    3,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Paint coating prepping question

    Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I am planning on using Gyeon CanCoat (whenever I shake the money loose) and I was told that a water-based polish with no wax/sealant would be a good option followed by a wipe down with Gyeon/Prep, then apply the coating. I plan on getting Poorboy's SSR1 for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by blagunas6 View Post
    I was looking into getting the Cquartz UK Edition. Hear a lot of good things about it and now thinking on getting the carpro eraser with it as well...I got menzerna SF3500. Would that be fine to use prior to the carpro eraser?
    Any polish or compound will work fine, just don't use an AIO/cleaner wax that leaves any wax or sealant behind. Once the polishing is complete and your ready to apply the coating the important part is to use a quality prep spray which will break down the oils and any other residue left by the polish.
    Save the Manuals!!

  7. Thanks blagunas6 thanked for this post
  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Paint coating prepping question

    Menzerna sf3500 is heavy on polishing oils. Apply the eraser heavy or do 2 wipe downs to be certain. With carpro you have their essence primer that has abrasives in it. If you let it sit for more than 4 hours after wiped off essence you can go directly to apply the CQUK coating. This gets you a higher gloss and a little longer longevity of the coating. Just a tip.

  9. Thanks blagunas6 thanked for this post

Similar Threads

  1. Prepping 1st Quartz Coating - What do I need to know?
    By lowroller21 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM
  2. Prepping for paint
    By precisionmobile85 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2016, 07:50 AM
  3. prepping leather for coating?
    By Matt@Revive in forum Products Guides
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM
  4. Prepping for coating
    By Britsdaddy in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM
  5. prepping the paint for sealant?
    By 93fox in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Members who have read this thread: 42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2018

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234