autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to approach waterless wash on a dirty car?

Hi,

Let me start telling you that I always use a waterless wash on my old cars. This is to avoid water from getting into places that it is not supposed to. My Dodge ´49 would for instance get water behind the dashboard even if a smaller amount of water hit the front windows. A lot of people ask why I do waterless washes - and now you know why.

Well, I would like to know how you would approach a dirty car with a waterless wash method?

Common sense tells me not to do a waterless wash on a muddy car for quite obvious reasons.
    But what then? .. When you in my case would avoid using a hose as you know you practically would flood the car - what do you then do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to approach waterless wash on a dirty car?

Have you tried a rinseless wash???

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-soak with the waterless spray a lot. If possible without flooding, use Rinseless (or even hose rinse) on lower panels if they are muddiest.

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion on this will certainly differ from many of my colleagues here. I think waterless washes should be used only in rare circumstances, and that's when you might consider otherwise using a quick detailer. Personally, I don't think quick detailers have any role in car maintenance. I personally don't see why one would use a quick detailer when one could use a waterless wash, which has more lubrication and is generally safer for applying to paint.

The minimum wash -- you know, to actually clean the car -- I would do for any type of car is a rinseless wash, but only after I had sprayed off the bulk of the dirt using a pressure washer or hose and pre-sprayed the car to let it soak.

Basically, I use a waterless wash only when there is a layer of dust but not much more on the car. I realize this might be a bit excessive, but I put so much work into detailing and correcting the paint of my car that I'm not going to do anything that might possibly screw it up.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

5. Likes GEM65, TTQ B4U, Thomkirby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Thank you for all your replies.
    On my newer cars I wouldn't hesitate to do a normal car wash as I know these are 99,9% waterproof.
    I have never tried a rinseless wash before, but I just watched some video by Mike Phillips on youtube. Isn't a rinseless wash practically the same as a normal car wash, just without the hose part?

But still, is it a good idea using a wash mitt on a muddy or dusty car - rubbing all the particles into to scratces?

As acuRAS82 mentioned, lower panels could be cleaned by using a hose - that is no problem. But sometimes you get a lot of dust and dirt on the horizontal panels too, and this seems to be quite diffecult to clean when you are limited to not using a hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Vifa,

If you watch any of the tutorial videos, especially Mike Phillip's videos, they demonstrate a technique that calls for lifting the front edge of the towel up, and only taking one pass per "side" of the towel. Fold the towel into quarters, and you'll have 8 "sides" with which to work (four exposed, and then reverse the towel for four more "sides"). Using this method, my 2007 Lexus ES350 (a mid size to large sedan) takes me 10 or so towels. In the winter, I repeat the process, using VERY little pressure the first pass, and then medium pressure the second. So during the winter, I plan on the process taking me 20 or so towels. But it works well, even with the salt grime my car picks up during the winter.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

A small clarification:
    "they demonstrate a technique that calls for lifting the front edge of the towel up ROLLING THE TOWEL SO A NEW SECTION OF THE TOWEL IS CONTACTING THE PAINT DURING THE SWIPE, and only taking one pass per "side" of the towel.

The additional part of the technique is what keeps one from dragging dirt across their paint.

Sorry I was not more clear in my first response.

9. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    My opinion on this will certainly differ from many of my colleagues here. I think waterless washes should be used only in rare circumstances, and that's when you might consider otherwise using a quick detailer. Personally, I don't think quick detailers have any role in car maintenance. I personally don't see why one would use a quick detailer when one could use a waterless wash, which has more lubrication and is generally safer for applying to paint.

The minimum wash -- you know, to actually clean the car -- I would do for any type of car is a rinseless wash, but only after I had sprayed off the bulk of the dirt using a pressure washer or hose and pre-sprayed the car to let it soak.

Basically, I use a waterless wash only when there is a layer of dust but not much more on the car. I realize this might be a bit excessive, but I put so much work into detailing and correcting the paint of my car that I'm not going to do anything that might possibly screw it up.
    I use a quick detailer occasionally AFTER a wash if I'm looking for a little extra shine for only another 15 minutes or so worth of work. I don't really consider it maintenance as much as appearance.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

11. Likes TTQ B4U, kevincwelch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    A small clarification:
    "they demonstrate a technique that calls for lifting the front edge of the towel up ROLLING THE TOWEL SO A NEW SECTION OF THE TOWEL IS CONTACTING THE PAINT DURING THE SWIPE, and only taking one pass per "side" of the towel. The additional part of the technique is what keeps one from dragging dirt across their paint.

I will add to the thread that "Waterless" is for me only used on a dusty car or perhaps a coated car that's been through rain and still only dusty with dirt. I use mainly "Rinseless" washing in the winter or on what I call a dirty vehicle.

In terms of the rolling technique, I use that for sure and in both cases of waterless or rinseless, my modified technique is that I NEVER use a dry rag. My wash rag is always fairly wet (I know contrary to many who do waterless) and even my follow up ones are never dry. I ALWAYS use a damp rag that has Rinseless solution and distilled water in it.

Doing the above results in zero issues.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post

I actually agree. I'm a hard-core bucket wash type of person, but a waterless wash and rinseless wash technique/product does have it's place. Over time, I'm starting to see I can use a waterless wash for the same purposes I used a QD (and more!) and the results actually turn out better. The bottle of QD on my shelf today will probably be my last.

One thing you didn't mention is the economics of the waterless washes. Some of the products like ECH2O can be mixed up in a variety of ratios depending on the purpose, but any way you go, the price per volume is far less than what is spent on a bottle of RTU QD spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    I use a quick detailer occasionally AFTER a wash if I'm looking for a little extra shine for only another 15 minutes or so worth of work. I don't really consider it maintenance as much as appearance.
    I use a QD for the same purpose, or as a drying aid. However, I've found waterless washes product the same results with better lubrication (in some cases) and at lower cost. Today I have some waterless wash AND QD. Going forward I'll simply use the waterless wash for everything.

Back to the OP: If you can't hose off the heavy dirt/mud due to water intrusion problems, could you lay a soaked towel on the bad area (i.e. mud splatter) to let it soften things up and then VERY GENTLY use a rinseless or waterless wash?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes oneheadlite, kevincwelch liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast