autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG

Hello, i just signed up after watching the tutorials on Youtube, which are brilliant and well explained.

I bought the Flex after comparing it with the Rupes 19 and just thought the Flex would suit better for starting off although most people would say even its an advanced machine, but i am willing to learn and have a canvas to work with, an old VW Polo, I have a fair grasp of what I'm looking at but have a few questions;

1. Without buying another machine, can a smaller backing plate be used on the flex to do the areas between the doors and tight areas, obviously smaller areas will have to be done by hand anyways.

2. I have Meguiars Ultimate compound as its known here in Ireland, is this ok or is there something better that can be used?

3. I know from watching Mikes videos that Lake country orange, red and cyan pads seem to be what is needed, what sizes or are there better pads that are are effective? backing plate is 140mm or ~5.5inch

Any advice or further information I missed would be greatly appreciated! although the videos on youtube are brilliant.

thanks

Jack

Donegal, Ireland

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG

Welcome to the Forum!

I love the Flex 3401. So much so, I have two.

For backing plates, you have two options:
    - 4" version made by Lake Country (2 piece design) -FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System
    -4.5" version made by Flex (1 piece design) - FLEX XC3401 Mini 4.5 inch Backing Plate, FLEX

The 4" one is a super good price right now, too!!

Lake Country used to make a Hybrid Pad that was 5" in diameter with a 4" backing material that was perfect for the 4" backing plate. Not sure if the new Hybrid Force pads are similar or not.

I have the 4.5" version in transit, expecting it Monday. I finally went with that one so I can use the 5-5.5" pads I have. I don't think I'll use it as much as the 4" version, but it will be nice to have options.

Ultimate Compound is fine and should meet your needs. Plenty of quality options out there. I say work with what you have for now.

Pads, again you have choices. It seems the 3401 likes a thicker pad (Lake Country Hybrid Force pads, perhaps? They are made with forced rotation in mind). I have recently used some thin pads and thought the experience was still okay.

Mike Phillips wrote the book on the Flex 3401, literally. I bought it prior to getting the tool. Read it over a couple of times before I bought the machine, and have referred to it several times.

edit The colors you mentioned on #3, they sound like the Hydro Tech pads. Those are good pads, too. They also come in 4" diameter if you didn't know. The thicker ones are good for the 3401. I like the combo of the 4" plate and 4" HydroTech pads. You can also get the bigger size (thought not sure if 5.5 or 6.5) for the original Flex backing plate.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for getting back! yes ment to say they were the hydro tech pads, im a bit of a perfectionist, like all good detailers of course and want to start off in the right foot. ive a number of people wanting their car buffed, being Ireland a lot of people running about after spending 100$ on a buffer thinking they're professionals. Of course I will do my own car for practice first. that's some valuable information above there thanks for that too! I decided to go all out and go proper and buy the correct tool IMO for the job instead of going budget stuff although I do understand that a cheap polisher can be brilliant in the correct hands too. thanks for taking the time to get back to me.
    Jack

4. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JackvRS View Post

Hello, i just signed up after watching the tutorials on Youtube, which are brilliant and well explained.

I bought the Flex after comparing it with the Rupes 19 and just thought the Flex would suit better for starting off although most people would say even its an advanced machine, but i am willing to learn and have a canvas to work with, an old VW Polo,
    Hi Jack,

Welcome to the AGO forum.

I have a fair grasp of what I'm looking at but have a few questions;

1. Without buying another machine, can a smaller backing plate be used on the flex to do the areas between the doors and tight areas, obviously smaller areas will have to be done by hand anyways.
    Yes. FLEX offers a 4 3/8" backing plate that will enable you to use most 5" and 5 1/2" pads. I'm not in the office until Monday as I'm taking a few vacation days before they expire, but when I return I'll double check some good options for you.

For the most part I do everything with the Lake Country Force Hybrid 6.5" pads and when I need to work a thin panel I simply go up on edge.

2. I have Meguiars Ultimate compound as its known here in Ireland, is this ok or is there something better that can be used?
    UC works great with the 3401 - you're good to go. (One of my classes buffed out the car on the front label of that product)

3. I know from watching Mikes videos that Lake country orange, red and cyan pads seem to be what is needed
    My guess is we made that video when those pads came out, since then I've found any closed-cell foam pads tends to wear out faster than any open cell pads. I cover this in my how-to books. It has to do with "tensile strength".

Any advice or further information I missed would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

Donegal, Ireland

What I purposefully show in my classes is I make the students hold the pad perfectly flat to a flat surface on the 4-6 speed setting and get used to how the polisher feels.

Next, start tilting the pad to the surface and PURPOSEFULLY buff crooked. This will cause the tool to pul or want to walk in various directions depending on which side of the pad is in contact with the paint and which side of the pad is in the air.

What this teaches is that when you hold the pad flat to the surface the tool buffs smooth. When >you< don't hold the pad flat to the surface there nature of the gear-driven orbital action will tend to pull or push the tool around. This is the self-teaching aspect of 8mm gear-driven orbital telling you to correct how you're holding the tool.

Once you experience this, (the point of this in my class, hands-on experience), you understand the "characteristic" and instead of complain or whine about it you adjust how you hold the tool when buffing and power through a detail job.

The FLEX 3401 is a BEAST and aptly named.

Also, when it comes to correction work, foam cutting pads work better when they are the thicker options. Some guys like thin cutting pads like the 6.5" ThinPros but I find thin stiff pads don't buff as smooth on gear-driven orbitals and thicker foam pads.

When it comes to polishing it's less of an issue because the squish factor for the foam smooths the power out for the gear-driven orbitals.

Practice first on flat panels and then move to curved panels.

6. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi Jack,

Welcome to the AGO forum.

Yes. FLEX offers a 4 3/8" backing plate that will enable you to use most 5" and 5 1/2" pads. I'm not in the office until Monday as I'm taking a few vacation days before they expire, but when I return I'll double check some good options for you.

For the most part I do everything with the Lake Country Force Hybrid 6.5" pads and when I need to work a thin panel I simply go up on edge.

UC works great with the 3401 - you're good to go. (One of my classes buffed out the car on the front label of that product)

My guess is we made that video when those pads came out, since then I've found any closed-cell foam pads tends to wear out faster than any open cell pads. I cover this in my how-to books. It has to do with "tensile strength".

What I purposefully show in my classes is I make the students hold the pad perfectly flat to a flat surface on the 4-6 speed setting and get used to how the polisher feels.

Next, start tilting the pad to the surface and PURPOSEFULLY buff crooked. This will cause the tool to pul or want to walk in various directions depending on which side of the pad is in contact with the paint and which side of the pad is in the air.

What this teaches is that when you hold the pad flat to the surface the tool buffs smooth. When >you< don't hold the pad flat to the surface there nature of the gear-driven orbital action will tend to pull or push the tool around. This is the self-teaching aspect of 8mm gear-driven orbital telling you to correct how you're holding the tool.

Once you experience this, (the point of this in my class, hands-on experience), you understand the "characteristic" and instead of complain or whine about it you adjust how you hold the tool when buffing and power through a detail job.

The FLEX 3401 is a BEAST and aptly named.

Also, when it comes to correction work, foam cutting pads work better when they are the thicker options. Some guys like thin cutting pads like the 6.5" ThinPros but I find thin stiff pads don't buff as smooth on gear-driven orbitals and thicker foam pads.

When it comes to polishing it's less of an issue because the squish factor for the foam smooths the power out for the gear-driven orbitals.

Practice first on flat panels and then move to curved panels.

Thanks Mike for getting back to me, some brilliant tips and tricks, I’ve ordered and waiting for the machine to arrive, can’t wait! I have an old car available for practicing on so will keep you posted if I have any more queries. Thanks again.
    Jack
    😊👍

Post Thanks / Like

The Lake Country Hybrid Pads are the way to go IMO. I use them all the time. I use the Orange ones for correcting. The White ones for polishing. I use either a Black, Red or Gold pad for LSP and need just one of those.

You will love the Flex. That thing will keep on working. Just remember, let the product do the working for you. You do not need to apply too much pressure.

But you will need to get used to the walking (pulling or pushing away from you). DON'T WORRY! You will get used to it. Soon you can polish with 1 hand (if need be but most of the time 2 hands).

You will have fun and please let us know your experience with it soon along with Pics!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Likes JustJesus, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kamakazi - Have you tried the Hybrid Force pads yet? I haven't as I still have plenty of the regular Hybrids

Post Thanks / Like

I practiced on the washer and dryer when I got mine, then went to town.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Kamakazi - Have you tried the Hybrid Force pads yet? I haven't as I still have plenty of the regular Hybrids
    No haven't tried them yet as I still have plenty of the hybrids. My guess they are just as good or better.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    No haven't tried them yet as I still have plenty of the hybrids. My guess they are just as good or better.
    Hope so. I do like the design, size, and fitment of the OGs

14. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast