autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Pics

Any pad with a 5" diameter velcro backing will work. My personal preference is for thick pads when using gear-driven tools although I'm finding thicker pads work better on the FLEX XFE 7 and I think this is due to inertia.
    And that is precisely why I recently picked up that backing plate! I have the Lake Country version and I love it, along with the factory plate (I'm using two 3401s). But found that I have so many 5-5.5" pads that the LC version is too small (IMO) so I picked up the Flex one and have a better fitment for those particular pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I just don't want to but swirls or holograms back in but I'll give that go on the side of the pad, as for the waffle pads it was all I could get at the time for practising the flat pads will probably be smoother than the waffle pads but unfornately I'll have order all online as my area wouldn't know what flex is lol and they only seem to sell screw ons and not velcro. But I know now what to order.
    Thanks
    Jack

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From the rather disappointing photos, is work so far any good? Ye flash makes there look like there are swirls bit there aren't any when I looked, the post is on previous page
    Thanks
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I just went out to the AG garage and grabbed the factory FLEX 4 3/8" backing plate and checked the Lake Country 5.5" Force Hybrid pads and they fit with the velcro backing with about 1/4" extra around the backing.

In most cases you can do everything with orange, white and black.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

I would still recommend the 6.5" pads for the factory backing plate instead of the 3M Waffle pads

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads

This. Have done many a beaten up work van with the Flex, the 6.5 Force Pads and Megs M101. The gray pad is quite aggressive and it will burn thru the clear if yer' being really aggressive, especially if running up on the edge of the pad to get to tight spaces. The gray pads will wear kinda quickly if doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Many say that the Flex can't finish well but I've finished new black Honda paint very well with Scholls S40 on a Lake Country Hydrotech pad. If not careful, as mentioned, the Flex can tax a closed cell pad like the Hydrotech but the crimson finishes quite nicely and lives through the experience as long as you're changing them often and not beating on them.

Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads work well on the Flex too, was quite surprised how well it finished using Griots Correcting Cream with a Uro-Fiber pad on the Flex.

Dunno if I've ever cranked the 3401 up to speed 6, usually around 4.5 to 5 seems to work well for me.

While I also have the Rupes 15 Mk 2 and BOSS 21 long throw machines, when I don't wanna screw around and just wanna get something done ASAP, I'll fire up the 3401, strap on a 6.5" Force Hybrid pad, climb aboard and have at it. After 6 or so hours working something like a Ford Transit Extended Van it can certainly be a bit more taxing than using a Rupes or BOSS but for an amateur like me, the Flex is faster due to my lack of complete expertise with the long throws. Anti-Vibration gloves can help a bit with the 3401 if it bothers you at long stretches.

5. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    This. Have done many a beaten up work van with the Flex, the 6.5 Force Pads and Megs M101. The gray pad is quite aggressive and it will burn thru the clear if yer' being really aggressive, especially if running up on the edge of the pad to get to tight spaces. The gray pads will wear kinda quickly if doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Many say that the Flex can't finish well but I've finished new black Honda paint very well with Scholls S40 on a Lake Country Hydrotech pad. If not careful, as mentioned, the Flex can tax a closed cell pad like the Hydrotech but the crimson finishes quite nicely and lives through the experience as long as you're changing them often and not beating on them.

Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads work well on the Flex too, was quite surprised how well it finished using Griots Correcting Cream with a Uro-Fiber pad on the Flex.

Dunno if I've ever cranked the 3401 up to speed 6, usually around 4.5 to 5 seems to work well for me.

While I also have the Rupes 15 Mk 2 and BOSS 21 long throw machines, when I don't wanna screw around and just wanna get something done ASAP, I'll fire up the 3401, strap on a 6.5" Force Hybrid pad, climb aboard and have at it. After 6 or so hours working something like a Ford Transit Extended Van it can certainly be a bit more taxing than using a Rupes or BOSS but for an amateur like me, the Flex is faster due to my lack of complete expertise with the long throws. Anti-Vibration gloves can help a bit with the 3401 if it bothers you at long stretches.
    thanks for your reply, ill probably never need to worry about using the grey pad, as I'm not gonna do detailing as a big business and its more for myself and people I know and family and so will hopefully never meet those badly defected paints! although useful advice, most paints I plan to work with have swirl marks and light scratches using the orange cutting pad. Im asking if not used properly can this pad do damage? its mostly moderate to medium defects ill be working with.
    thanks Jack

is the 4 3/8" backing plate the 4.5inch flex backing plate and not the 4 inch?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackvRS View Post
    thanks for your reply, ill probably never need to worry about using the grey pad, as I'm not gonna do detailing as a big business and its more for myself and people I know and family and so will hopefully never meet those badly defected paints! although useful advice, most paints I plan to work with have swirl marks and light scratches using the orange cutting pad. Im asking if not used properly can this pad do damage? its mostly moderate to medium defects ill be working with.
    thanks Jack

is the 4 3/8" backing plate the 4.5inch flex backing plate and not the 4 inch?

is that backing plate ok? As it’s difficult to order from America with customs and postage costs so this is the only one I could find
    Flex 386715 Velcro Plate with Gear M D115/XC; for Roto Exente Rpolierer XC 3401 VRG: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I would order from you guys other wise as the parts and pads are cheaper but Irish customs and postage drives it up in price unfortunately. Sorry it’s not from Autogeek.

Mike Phillips

From the rather disappointing photos, is work so far any good?

Ye flash makes there look like there are swirls bit there aren't any when I looked, the post is on previous page

Thanks

Jack

I looked at the pics and the results look good to me!

is that backing plate ok?

As it’s difficult to order from America with customs and postage costs so this is the only one I could find

I would order from you guys other wise as the parts and pads are cheaper but Irish customs and postage drives it up in price unfortunately.

Sorry it’s not from Autogeek.
    That is the (small) FACTORY FLEX backing plate, same backing plate we sell here at Autogeek.

FLEX only offers 2 backing plates, the factory replacement and the smaller 4 3/8". Here in U.S. we call it 4 3/8" but that's approximately 110mm.

4.375" = 111.125mm

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the pics and the results look good to me!

That is the (small) FACTORY FLEX backing plate, same backing plate we sell here at Autogeek.

FLEX only offers 2 backing plates, the factory replacement and the smaller 4 3/8". Here in U.S. we call it 4 3/8" but that's approximately 110mm.

4.375" = 111.125mm

For a black car, being a noob, can I leave holograms or scratches with flex?
    Thanks
    Jack

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-

cdn.com/20180718/094d6378985c9677301523b691cc941d.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to buy the flex 4.5inch backing plate with the 5inch power fInis

Any pad with a 5" diameter velcro backing will work. My personal preference is for thick pads when using gear-driven tools although I'm finding thicker pads work better on the FLEX XFE 7 and I think this is due to inertia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to buy the 4.5 inch backing plate from flex and the LC 5inch hybrid power finish pads is this the ideal setup?
    I understand the new force pads are out too but there's not much difference between them.
    Thanks jack

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In hybrid power pads:
    Blue pad=orange pad in hybrid force?
    Orange pad = grey pad in hybrid force?
    Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast