autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    The Lake Country Hybrid Pads are the way to go IMO. I use them all the time. I use the Orange ones for correcting. The White ones for polishing. I use either a Black, Red or Gold pad for LSP and need just one of those.

You will love the Flex. That thing will keep on working. Just remember, let the product do the working for you. You do not need to apply too much pressure.

But you will need to get used to the walking (pulling or pushing away from you). DON'T WORRY! You will get used to it. Soon you can polish with 1 hand (if need be but most of the time 2 hands).

You will have fun and please let us know your experience with it soon along with Pics!
    Sure will! I’ve an old car available to use as a template so I’ll practice with that, gonna do half the bonnet and snap a pic, will probably have to wait 2 weeks for the machine to arrive unfortunately but can’t wait. Thanks guys.

2. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats on the new purchase, excellent polisher!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackvRS View Post
    Sure will! I’ve an old car available to use as a template so I’ll practice with that, gonna do half the bonnet and snap a pic, will probably have to wait 2 weeks for the machine to arrive unfortunately but can’t wait. Thanks guys.
    So ive got my Flex and did a bit of compounding with I believe a 3m compounding pad (mountains and valleys shape) all I could get from the local so I’m enquiring now what I need to order in terms of pads, compounds, Backing plates and polishes. I’d also like to know what’s the best was around polishing body lines as I know it’s not good polishing on them, and doing tight areas. I did the bonnet of a vw bora (Jetta) and it was brilliant very easy machine to use, although the odd score or slight scrape still left, probably due to the pad type as it’s not flat.

summarize:
    1. What pads are ideal for polishing and compounding as I hope to do polishing by machine to avoid putting swirl marks back on the compounded paint by hand lol.

2. The best polishes and compounds to use for polishing and compounding. I use Autoglym HD wax as the sealant paste wax.

3. Techniques to polishing body lines and tight areas and suggestions of backing plates (smaller ones for my flex).is compound, polish and then wax the correct sequence ?

thanks everyone for the help the machine is a blast, removes scuffs and scores in seconds.
    Ps. No pictures unfortunately I forgot lol.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Lake Country Hybrid Pads. I DO BELIEVE they were designed for the Flex 3401. But don't quote me on that. I use the Orange Pads for Correcting. I use the White Pads for Polishing. I have maybe 1 or 2 Red Pads for Last Step Product (ie wax or sealant). As for my Go-to Compound/Polish I like Menzerna FG400 for correcting and Menzerna Super Finish 3500/3800. This IMO is the best combo (FOR ME) and I have tried several different brands. As for the Backing Plates (I do believe Lake country); Flex makes Backing Plates for your DA. As for polishing around body lines, I am not too familiar with what you are trying to accomplish with that. The Flex will correct and polish anything you put it on. My GUESS is that the pads you are using are the thin type pads. The Hybrids are thick pads and they run better with the Flex than the thin pads.

As for tight areas I have a mini-DA (converted) to tackle that or in some cases use my hands with the pads.

As for the combo product you should use, that will be up to you. After several uses of different brands I have settled with the Menzerna Brand. The only problem with Menzerna products is that they change their name so many times you can get confused! Please let us know what you decided to go with and use!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Get the Lake Country Hybrid Pads. I DO BELIEVE they were designed for the Flex 3401. But don't quote me on that. I use the Orange Pads for Correcting. I use the White Pads for Polishing. I have maybe 1 or 2 Red Pads for Last Step Product (ie wax or sealant). As for my Go-to Compound/Polish I like Menzerna FG400 for correcting and Menzerna Super Finish 3500/3800. This IMO is the best combo (FOR ME) and I have tried several different brands. As for the Backing Plates (I do believe Lake country); Flex makes Backing Plates for your DA. As for polishing around body lines, I am not too familiar with what you are trying to accomplish with that. The Flex will correct and polish anything you put it on. My GUESS is that the pads you are using are the thin type pads. The Hybrids are thick pads and they run better with the Flex than the thin pads.

As for tight areas I have a mini-DA (converted) to tackle that or in some cases use my hands with the pads.

As for the combo product you should use, that will be up to you. After several uses of different brands I have settled with the Menzerna Brand. The only problem with Menzerna products is that they change their name so many times you can get confused! Please let us know what you decided to go with and use!

I've got some photos to show progress so far to see if I'm doing it right!
    I'll upload separately
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG-20180717_212402-jpg  

7. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got some photos to show progress so far to see if I'm doing it right!
    I'll upload separately
    I don’t think there’s any haze and swirl marks seem to be all gone at first attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG-f226a00d-da28-42b3-a905-38c10bd6c3ed-jpg   Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG-d40a063d-7761-47dd-ac10-189028eea26a-jpg   Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG-25466fc3-b101-4728-bb5f-cfa3e59bbf5f-jpg   Advice on the use of the Flex XC3401 VRG-2c486481-5623-4dbb-b94d-c7ea85da386d-jpg  

9. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think there’s any haze and swirl marks seem to be all gone at first attempt.
    I also just wanted to ask the best way to A and B pillars, or door handles. Can the flex do damage if used on these areas or how can damage be caused using the flex in general to paint work ?
    thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also just wanted to ask the best way to A and B pillars, or door handles. Can the flex do damage if used on these areas or how can damage be caused using the flex in general to paint work ?
    thanks!
    Again sorry for all the questions as it's always pays to exercise caution than pay for new resprays but if I get the flex 4.5inch backing plate is there any pads available for this plate in 4.5 to 5.0 inch as I can't find any on autogeek, maybe I'm not looking hard enough and as said above can damage or defects be caused using the flex incorrectly?
    I hope to put an order today for the stuff I need.
    Thanks for everyone's help couldn't have done anything without here, the detailing infrastructure where im from is really poor.

Mike Phillips

I also just wanted to ask the best way to A and B pillars, or door handles.

Can the flex do damage if used on these areas or how can damage be caused using the flex in general to paint work ?

thanks!
    What I do is go up on edge, that means to hold the tool so that only a portion of the pad is in contact with the surface. You will feel the tool try to walk on you or move to a side, so just expect it and buff accordingly. I buff out 1" thin panels like this and if I can do it then others can do it to, it just takes some practice.

Again sorry for all the questions as it's always pays to exercise caution than pay for new resprays but if I get the flex 4.5inch backing plate is there any pads available for this plate in 4.5 to 5.0 inch as I can't find any on autogeek, maybe I'm not looking hard enough and as said above can damage or defects be caused using the flex incorrectly?
    I just went out to the AG garage and grabbed the factory FLEX 4 3/8" backing plate and checked the Lake Country 5.5" Force Hybrid pads and they fit with the velcro backing with about 1/4" extra around the backing.

In most cases you can do everything with orange, white and black.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

I would still recommend the 6.5" pads for the factory backing plate instead of the 3M Waffle pads

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads

13. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Pics

Any pad with a 5" diameter velcro backing will work. My personal preference is for thick pads when using gear-driven tools although I'm finding thicker pads work better on the FLEX XFE 7 and I think this is due to inertia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, Kamakaz1961 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast