autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressings Harming Tires?

I've talked to several different tire dealers and they all said that Michelin tires are notorious for cracking. My brother's truck had Michelins and they developed actual CREVICES in the sidewall, and he NEVER cares for his truck ... it doesn't even get washed, let alone waxed or the tires dressed.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winboys View Post
    I have some Michelin A/T2 tires. They have roughly 45,000 miles with a 60,000 mile warranty. All tires have a lot of small cracking everywhere around the sidewalls. Discount Tire tells me it is from the tire dressing. Michelin told me the same and says they do not recommend any dressing. I always keep the tires/truck clean. The truck is in the garage 70% of the time and is really just a weekend driver anymore. All I have ever used on them is the Optimum tire dressing and most recently the 303 dressing (but cracks started way before the 303). That I recall, I have never noticed cracking like this on any other tires I have owned. What do you guys think?
    They're Michelins. I worked for Discount for 28 years. Michelin won't replace the tires for this unless the cracks get down to the cords. Discount surely can't afford to replace 80% of the Michelins they sell for this problem. It's not a safety hazard unless they get really deep, down to cords. I've got a set of them that came on my wife's truck that are like that. I'm getting ready to replace them because they're almost 4 years old, definitely not going back with the Michelins. Yokohama used to have the same cracking problem but they've got it taken care of now apparently. I'm replacing the Michelins with Yokohama or Bridgestone. Leaning toward Bridgestone because they have always built one of the truest running, best balancing tires on the market.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

All this talk of cracking makes me very disappointed with Michelin. I thought it was supposed to be the best. I think I'm going to get Continentals next time I need tires.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    All this talk of cracking makes me very disappointed with Michelin. I thought it was supposed to be the best. I think I'm going to get Continentals next time I need tires.
    I'm currently running Michelin's LTX's on my wife's SUV and some PSS's as my summer tires on my car. For their class of tire, they have out performed anything I've used of similar brands in both grip and durability. Fortunaly, I hit sales/rebates to bring down the prices. I'm hooked.

Every tire, regardless of brand, if it's old enough will start to develop some small cracks either on the sidewalls, between the tread blocks, or along the sides of tread blocks.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm currently running Michelin's on my
    wife's SUV and...as my summer tires
    on my car.

...they have out performed anything
    I've used of similar brands in both
    grip and durability.
    ^^^

I really enjoy my Michelins.

It almost seems that some people are
    destined to become Michelin owners.

Here’s me at ~6 months:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I just blew water all over my monitor and my co-workers think I've lost it....

Thanks, Bob.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes oneheadlite, FUNX650 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons the cracking is so "pronounced" in Michelin's is that they last and last. All tires are gonna crack eventually. But most other brands are off the vehicle before the cracking ramps up. Another of my theories regarding Miches.

I still love them. 90k isn't unheard of. My current set looks brand new at 45k and ~4 years. And they're the best performing tire I've ever run. (MS2's and Defenders)

10. Likes Nickfire20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good, bad or indifferent, I change tires after 60,000 miles. At that point tires are on borrowed time. I recently changed out some Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my wife's Buick. I only use water based dressings on tires and there were no cracks in the sidewalls. There were some small cracks in between the treads. A new set of Michelins would have been $1100. I went with Nexxen and they were half the price and they are the only tire company that offers roadside assistance. I waited a couple of weeks and cleaned them with Meguiars D143 and dressed them with 303 Tire Balm.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree on tire age. Took delivery of my truck (brand new) in 2012.

Truck has under 18k.

Goodyear Wranglers are still hanging in there, but are showing "the signs" now.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Tire degradation has a lot to do with UV exposure, and not much to do with tire dressings, unless they are heavily silicone based, like Armor All. I have a set of Michelins that are cracked like crazy, but that's a really old tire. They aren't meant to last forever, and they don't wear out just based on tread remaining.

Little known fact, many tire dealers will try to sell you old tires like early expiration milk from the front of the cooler shelf. They are aged even before you get them on your car. Tires on sale or clearance are often old stock they are trying to rid themselves of. Ask to see the tires BEFORE they mount them on the wheels. There is a born-on date on every tire sidewall, in a little pill-shaped button. There will be 4 numbers to tell you when the tire was made.

They will read something like this: (2211)

That number tells me that the tire was made between May 30th to June 5th (the 22nd week of the year) of 2011. That's a 7+ year old tire, and well past it's usable life span, I don't care how deep the tread is. If you get that much out of a tire, consider yourself lucky. Don't buy old tires, even at a discounted rate. You're better off with a fresh tire for a few more bucks than an old tire that a dealer is trying to get rid of.

If I can get 3-4 years or 30k-40k miles out of a set of tires, I consider that a product win.
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

15. Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast