autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint blend line issue

I painted the front bumper and one door bottom on my truck. The door paint had to be blended in unlike the bumper. I sanded with 1500 grit and followed up with 2000. I’m using Griot’s fast correcting compound, an orange pad and DA polisher. After many passes I still have a narrow band of scuffing the length of the door that doesn’t want to shine up. Not surprisingly it is right at the blend point. I sanded the bumper with only 2500 grit paper and it’s shining up nicely. Maybe 1500 was a bad choice for the first sanding on the door. I am getting some color on my pad so that concerns me unless it’s just overspray still coming off. You can only see it from the side if you’re looking for it but of course it bothers me. Other than sanding it with 3000 grit and buffing again or making 1000 more passes I’m not sure what to try next. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint blend line issue

When you say i painted my door and bumper, is this your first time doing a blend. Your problem could be process related

Anytime im blending a panel i will stop my color about 12 to 15 inches short of my clear blend point

That will give me plenty of room to smooth in the clear when buffing with no chance of getting into the color

It could be that you didn't carry your clear far enough if your are getting color on your pad.

3. Likes DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you found my problem. I didn’t extend the clear above the color and it was my first time blending vs doing a complete panel. I’m guessing no amount of compounding will fix this and I should leave it alone. Is there an easy fix or would I need to shoot more color and clear to get it right. It’s an old truck and I can live with it until it needs to be done again. Thank much.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the only way i know of to fix it would be a redo. My rule of thumb would be extend your clear 12 to 15 inches beyond your color.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought maybe I could get away with putting clear on that small section and compound. Might be doing some blending on the hood and you taught me something for the future. Thanks a lot.