autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealants vs Coatings

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Not really unless you like water spots.
    I wonder if water spotting is a climate/regional thing?

Of all the coatings I've used, both on well maintained and totally un-maintained vehicles, I've never run into water spots that weren't removed with a wash.

There were 2 instances where I thought I'd finally run into it (overhead copper pipe condensation dripping on hoods) and at first a dedicated water spot remover was completely ineffective. By the next wash a week or so later, the spots had disappeared on their own.

I dunno.

2. Likes SWETM, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Of all the coatings I've used, both on well maintained and totally un-maintained vehicles, I've never run into water spots that weren't removed with a wash.

There were 2 instances where I thought I'd finally run into it (overhead copper pipe condensation dripping on hoods) and at first a dedicated water spot remover was completely ineffective. By the next wash a week or so later, the spots had disappeared on their own.

I dunno.
    Must be because I have not experienced water spots either with any of the coatings I have used.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno.
    Do u inspect the paint under a bright light? Sometimes they might look gone outside if your not looking close

Those little dots you see in the light are everywhere. there is no way u guys don't have them. You just don't see them water spotting is a widely know coating problem

Post Thanks / Like

If my car wasnt black I probably wouldnt be able to see them. You wont see them on a white car

Post Thanks / Like

Do u inspect the paint under a bright light? Sometimes they might look gone outside if your not looking close
    First noticed them when parked in garage under 5K ceiling lights; didn't really notice them outside too much beforehand; quite obvious when it garage, depressing, really.. 2 weeks later, gone. Not little spots but actually outlines of beads, discolored centers. Drops that had dried in sun. Now they are no more...

Those little dots you see in the light are everywhere. there is no way u guys don't have them. You just don't see them water spotting is a widely know coating problem
    I guess i just don't run across that kinda thing on our black cars, I just don't see it. Now it may very well be there I suppose, but if I don't see it in my garage or when out and about, I suppose it's irrelevant to me if it really is there.

Guess i can't say with absolute confidence either way but if it is there, it doesn't bother me.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First noticed them when parked in garage under 5K ceiling lights; didn't really notice them outside too much beforehand; quite obvious when it garage, depressing, really.. 2 weeks later, gone. Not little spots but actually outlines of beads, discolored centers. Drops that had dried in sun. Now they are no more...

I guess i just don't run across that kinda thing on our black cars, I just don't see it. Now it may very well be there I suppose, but if I don't see it in my garage or when out and about, I suppose it's irrelevant to me if it really is there.

Guess i can't say with absolute confidence either way but if it is there, it doesn't bother me.
    Yeah I agree you would never notice mine if you weren't looking at the fine details but once I get that light out they are there and they really don't come off without a polishing.

Its the reason all of these companies come out with toppers that are marked as resistant to water spotting. Unfortunately even the toppers are more prone to spotting.

I can understand some people not caring about them but they do exist and they are relevant in detailing especially when comparing sealants and coatings.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree you would never notice mine if you weren't looking at the fine details but once I get that light out they are there and they really don't come off without a polishing.

Its the reason all of these companies come out with toppers that are marked as resistant to water spotting. Unfortunately even the toppers are more prone to spotting.

I can understand some people not caring about them but they do exist and they are relevant in detailing especially when comparing sealants and coatings.
    Now ya made me haul out all my lights this morning. Scangrip headlamp, penlight, handheld and tripod light and all I see is is the effects of 22k miles of daily use. I'm thinking I might prefer water spots to that...

I still gotta stick with "I see no water spotting" after looking at your pics on a larger monitor as opposed to my phone. I dunno, interesting topic for sure.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now ya made me haul out all my lights this morning. Scangrip headlamp, penlight, handheld and tripod light and all I see is is the effects of 22k miles of daily use. I'm thinking I might prefer water spots to that...

I still gotta stick with "I see no water spotting" after looking at your pics on a larger monitor as opposed to my phone. I dunno, interesting topic for sure.
    This is what he actually sees...Sealants vs Coatings

Lol! I’m only kidding.Sealants vs CoatingsSealants vs Coatings

14. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealants vs Coatings

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post

Here is the almost 20 year old van before polishing and coating.
    I buffed it out after claying it for the first time about 5 years ago when I first ran into autogeek and used several other products for years to maintain it before the clear coat pealed off the top and plastic panels on the sides.

This is after its been treated with ironx and tarx but before I’m going to clay it using one of the “clay” cloths I got from autogeek.
    My nephew is going to buff it out using my new rupes 21 and their UHS system.
    Then it’s time for the coatings to go on.
    The closeup shows the scratches that can’t be buffed out but the paint on the top is about a year old now and we just had the body panels and the hood repainted because of clear coat peeling (lower side panels) and clear coat failure on the hood.
    Hopefully the UV protection provided by the coatings will keep it from peeling again.
    The top, hood and sides were all painted with a “heavy solid” clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I must be doing something right, my wife found a “ I want to buy your car” card tucked in the the diver side window this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Likes BudgetPlan1, mumps, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you have the same problem with a wax or sealant with the same maintance?

Where from do you think you are getting those water spots? As in when washing or rain or sprinklers overspray or another way.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast