autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealants vs Coatings

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    In your situation I would definitely go with a coating. If you were closer I would help you out. IMO you should go over the paint with at least a finishing pad and a paint cleaner before coating.
    Thanks for the offer, I’ve been trying to get some help for months, now that school is out everyone is heading out for vacation with their kids. We are all ready breaking high temp records again and I need to do this after the sun sets because of the heat, that makes it harder to fit in someone’s schedule.

I’ll see if we can get some sort of a buff on it so the sealant can adhere better.

I’ve got the gtechniq exov3 along with the rupes p808 and the McKees hi def paint sealant to choose from.
    I’ll do maintenance using the optimum no rinse wash and wax and the optimum spray on car wax.
    I use the various Wolfgang products on my other car but this one is very hard to wash let alone buff out. The new paint on the top has no visible marring or water spots yet and I want to keep it that way.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Guz,

How would you compare CanCoat against Optimum Gloss Coat?

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Nick about McKees coating and new 10 min sealant his response. Myself the 10 min sealant worked great for me..

Sure...

Paint Coating is the better choice if you want to "set it and forget it" because the protection will last up to 3 years.

10 Minute Paint Sealant is like a "coating-lite." It's going to last up to 6 months, and it takes less time to apply.

If you LIKE to touch your car often, 10 Minute Paint Sealant is the obvious choice.

Put Paint Coating on the wife's car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I’ve been trying to get some help for months, now that school is out everyone is heading out for vacation with their kids. We are all ready breaking high temp records again and I need to do this after the sun sets because of the heat, that makes it harder to fit in someone’s schedule.

I’ll see if we can get some sort of a buff on it so the sealant can adhere better.

I’ve got the gtechniq exov3 along with the rupes p808 and the McKees hi def paint sealant to choose from.
    I’ll do maintenance using the optimum no rinse wash and wax and the optimum spray on car wax.
    I use the various Wolfgang products on my other car but this one is very hard to wash let alone buff out. The new paint on the top has no visible marring or water spots yet and I want to keep it that way.

David
    Exo is a coating so you already have that. You can check out this video on application.

P808 is good and is so easy to reapply any time. Can be diluted down for a drying aid. Optimum Car Wax can also be used as a stand alone form of protection and just for maintenance.

You can pretty much take your pick out of anything you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
    Guz,

How would you compare CanCoat against Optimum Gloss Coat?
    I was disappointed with the durability of Gloss Coat. Optimum claims it is a 3 year coating with 2 years guaranteed. On two cars it had issues. One did not even make it to a year and the other made it to a year but was having issues that a decon wash could not fix. After my experience I am no longer using Gloss Coat. Overall it was not that good of a performer for me. The only good thing I have to say about it is the ease of use. The look is similar to that of a sealant. Definitely not worth the money for me. Richy also had issues with Gloss Coat.

CanCoat has exceeded all expectations for me. Currently approaching the 8 month mark and it's held up quite well. I used it in conjunction with Gyeon Primer Polish and on occasion have used Cure on it. CanCoat has better hydrophobic properties and a better self cleaning effect compared to Gloss Coat. It also looks better.

5. Thanks gspam1, Powerman, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Exo is a coating so you already have that. You can check out this video on application.

[video=facebook_share;1926462347644374]https://www.facebook.com/detailmentor/videos/1926462347644374/[/Optimum Car Wax can also be used as a stand alone form of protection and just for maintenance.
    Looks like I’ll try the EXO, I have the panel wipe to go with it. I’ll maintain it using the optimum car wax overtop.
    After watching your video I’m wondering if one bottle of the EXO is going to be enough.

Now I have hope for cool weather or do it in the early morning before it hits 90. I’m afraid of instant set as we are hitting high 90’s this time of year.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi is Gyeon Can Coat a standalone or repair product?
    How does it compare with other coatings? What is the difference, compared to other coatings e.g. hardness etc.
    Is it harder than clear coat?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    Hi is Gyeon Can Coat a standalone or repair product?
    How does it compare with other coatings? What is the difference, compared to other coatings e.g. hardness etc.
    Is it harder than clear coat?

Thanks
    CanCoat is a stand alone form of protection. Think of it as a coating lite. It can also be used as a coating topper.

CanCoat works very well. It is not going to last as long as a pure coating like Mohs or Pure in the Gteon line or other coatings similar such as cquartz, etc. But CanCoat is a nice place to begin if getting into coatings. Good self cleaning effect and very hydrophobic.

I would not worry about hardness as coatings are still susceptible to marring, swirling and scratching.

Try it out and I am sure you will be surprised at how well it performs.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, Powerman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Spot on advice ^^^
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for input/advise
    Is Can Coat a ceramic coating?

My problem is power for polisher
    I am looking for a product that I can use that could be maintained/removed by polishing by hand.
    Anything else other than Can Coat?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Looks like I’ll try the EXO, I have the panel wipe to go with it. I’ll maintain it using the optimum car wax overtop.
    After watching your video I’m wondering if one bottle of the EXO is going to be enough.

Now I have hope for cool weather or do it in the early morning before it hits 90. I’m afraid of instant set as we are hitting high 90’s this time of year.

David

I was wondering if I can use Reload on top of EXO. I’ve been using it before I dry the van but I don’t know if it’s compatible.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast